PDA

View Full Version : Ive preordered the Radio...

vw195
2009-09-06, 13:58
having said goodbye to my Reciva based radio,but I am wondering about the sound quality.

Can anyone comment on this, besides the promotional material? Thanks in advance

Edit: I guess its equal to 1/2 of a boom, but was wondering how well it filled a room.

funkstar
2009-09-06, 14:32
I've been using it as my main player for a while now and am very impressed with the sound. This is in my study, which is a decent sized single bedroom really.

I'm not even sure if there have been any tweaks to the DSP yet either.

dwilliams01
2009-09-09, 13:38
I've been using it in a large living/dining/kitchen open plan "room" and outside. I've had to have the volume up louder than what I had with the boom but it has certainly been enough to fill the space at a resonable listening level. Obviously, if you wanted to have a large dance party you might want more than one speaker to get above 20 people taking at once, etc. but, otherwise, very usable.

Outside, I've had it about 20-30 feet away and it has been loud enough to listen at a resonable level at about 65%-75% of max volume or so. One thing that I really like about both the Radio and the Boom is that the sound is fairly directional - I can be listening to my music quite happily without the neighbors even knowing that there is anything playing if I take care to point it away from them.

MeSue
2009-09-09, 17:41
I crank mine up to 75 in the bathroom and can sing along in the shower.

vw195
2009-09-09, 18:53
I am jealous of all you beta testers with SBRadio's (or as you call them baby's) right now :(

FredFredrickson
2009-09-11, 07:05
This little player can get loud - without any distortion. It's ridiculous! I put it out my window and listen in my yard when we have bonfires, and I can't put it past 75% without it being too loud for the neighbors!

I don't think the DSP tweaks are in place yet though, so I can't comment too much on the sound- I would like to have a bit more bass, but I get the feeling that's coming soon. It's very clear, and like I said, absolutely no distortion when you get loud- which you just can't say for most boom boxes.

vw195
2009-09-15, 06:58
I am getting a little worried that the estimated ship date of Sep. 30th may drop since Amazon still has not issued a preorder date. Do any of the beta testers think the software/hardware will be ready for primetime by the 30th?

FredFredrickson
2009-09-15, 09:05
I am getting a little worried that the estimated ship date of Sep. 30th may drop since Amazon still has not issued a preorder date. Do any of the beta testers think the software/hardware will be ready for primetime by the 30th?

I'm not sure on the exact date, but yes, end of this month is the plan. There's no reason to believe otherwise.

Keymaster
2009-09-15, 09:20
With more and more use I've noticed:

1-The "mono" thing is not at all bothersome. I moonlight as a recording engineer and I thought that I would kick and cry and such, but you know what, any music I've been playing from modern back to mono mixes, it all sounds fantastic. "A reference system" it isn't. But it's not supposed to be. That being said, EVERY time I turn the little guy on, I'm enamored by the sonics.

2-It's LOUD. No, maybe not for 100ft. away in a freefield (read: outdoor) situation, but for any household use (showering, doing dishes) it's more than ample. I find that some slight distortion gremlins (and I do mean slight) creep in past 95% volume, but at that point, it's WAY louder than I ever need it to be, and also, the vast majority of systems, PA, hifi or otherwise that I've ever worked with/listened to tend to get a bit hairy that close to being fully open. As for bass response, At 60% and above, I find it not only adequate but well balanced and well done :)

3-It's THE BEST alarm clock EVER!!!

Apologies if this is out of "thread context"

richg
2009-09-19, 05:46
I pre-ordered my Squeeze Radio from Amazon.co.uk on the 9th September and have just received a note this morning to say my order has been cancelled. The reason they quote is:

"We are no longer able to offer this item for sale. Our supplier has informed us that this item has been discontinued and is no longer available."

What's the score? Or are Amazon just trying to up the price from the 153 of my pre-order?

Gutted...

ccrome2
2009-09-19, 09:21
I pre-ordered my Squeeze Radio from Amazon.co.uk on the 9th September and have just received a note this morning to say my order has been cancelled. The reason they quote is:

"We are no longer able to offer this item for sale. Our supplier has informed us that this item has been discontinued and is no longer available."

What's the score? Or are Amazon just trying to up the price from the 153 of my pre-order?

Gutted...
I can assure you that the item is not discontinued :-).

Must be some glitch in the amazon system.

gfuchs
2009-09-19, 09:31
Mine is pre-ordered from Amazon US.
No problem so far.

pfarrell
2009-09-19, 10:00
ccrome2 wrote:
> I can assure you that the item is not discontinued :-).

If it was actually discontinued, would Caleb be working nights and
weekends on the firmware? Nope. and I assume you he is working nights
and weekends, I see the releases at all hours

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

vw195
2009-09-19, 10:08

Gutted...

I think if you contact them after it comes back they will honor the earlier price since you have documentation.

andynormancx
2009-09-24, 23:23

The Radio is now up on Amazon for 149.99, so I wouldn't worry too much about your pre-order being cancelled ;)