PDA

View Full Version : Controller\Touch Hybrid?

ziggyb63
2009-09-06, 06:21
Will there be a (cheaper!) Controller\Touch hybrid ever produced by Logitech? Something with the Controller's functionality to control the music played on multiple devices, but with the Touch's dimensions\screen and in-wall mounting feature?

I have multiple SB3, a controller\receiver and a Boom, and it would be cool to have multiple wall-mounted touchscreen devices to control each of these around the house; I don't need all of the Touch's capabilities (a DAC, digital\analog outs etc.) so maybe a stripped down version just with WiFi\wired ethernet?

And yeah, I've know the other alternatives, touchscreen PCs, iTouch, Nokia 770s etc....

bluegaspode
2009-09-06, 07:26
Controller MK2 :)
Yeah - I'd love such a thingy too ... and if it had an infrared transmitter like the controller, it could even be used as a master remote (either with the help of the custom SqueezeIR-applet, or some official ways provided by logitech)

funkstar
2009-09-06, 10:04
My gut feeling is there are too many different permutations possible when using the Touch as a reference platform. I guess we will need to wait for Marketing to work out which are likely to be the most popular.

The issue about having multiple versions with certain functionality dropped from each one, is that your cost base is actually likely to go up. You would have more product lines to keep track of, a more complex support system and your software is also going to get more complex to cater to these variations.

I can see the idea of dropping the screen to produce a replacement for the Receiver, that makes sense. But removing the DAC and outputs, USB, SD card slot, reducing the memory and processor speed probably wouldn't reduce the cost very much. You are still leaving the most expensive elements of the Touch intact (screen, casing and the software and support costs). But if in wall installations did become a significant market, then I guess it is possible.

JohnSwenson
2009-09-06, 17:56
Most of the connectors on the back are directly connected to the main chip set so getting rid of them just saves the cost of the connector itself. The analog outs are the only ones that have separate chips. The big difference would be getting rid of the connector board. All in all probably $5 in manufacturing costs.

I'm not sure what the ratio is but that might save $25 to $40 in retail price. Its not going to be a huge difference. I don't think that would fly as a separate product.

John S.

ziggyb63
2009-09-08, 04:29
Hmmm, a shame, as people seem to feel the hybrid touchscreen only option is not financially viable as a product offering from Logitech. I could see a product like this potentially sharing the same codebase as the current Controller (OK, Controller has a headphone out...), but I get the idea that the main PCB+screen would make up the majority of the cost.

With Logitech manufacturing a wall mount for the Touch, I assume they are expecting it to be used as a controller-only-type device - I can't see them wanting people to run analog cable\digital in-wall to connect to some pre-amp; but the current price point is a bit prohibitive for a multi-room installation, at least for me...

iPhone
2009-09-08, 07:04
With Logitech manufacturing a wall mount for the Touch, I assume they are expecting it to be used as a controller-only-type device - I can't see them wanting people to run analog cable\digital in-wall to connect to some pre-amp; but the current price point is a bit prohibitive for a multi-room installation, at least for me...

Basically that's exactly what I'm planning to do. Buy several Squeezebox Touchs then
I'm going to put a Touch in the wall in the main living area (kitchen, keeping room, living room, breakfest area) using POE and driving a pair of ceiling speakers. Then one in the wall of every bedroom except the Master using POE driving auto sensing self powered speakers mounted on wall or ceiling.

As for price, I can get 3 Touch for the price of a basic Sonos setup. I'm way ahead with Touch.

ziggyb63
2009-09-08, 10:33
Buy several Squeezebox Touchs then

Yeah, I got 5 separate "zones" with existing SB3s. Adding 5 Touchs at $299 a pop (and 5 wall mounts at $49) just to control the existing SB3s is too much. Will wait a few years until they appear on Ebay\Audiogon :)

Having said that, will undoubtedly get at least one to stream the handful of 24/96 Flacs I have.

Phil Leigh
2009-09-08, 12:30
Having said that, will undoubtedly get at least one to stream the handful of 24/96 Flacs I have.

I can confirm they sound great (I have 60+ DVD-A's ripped at varying qualities...24/48, 24/88.2, 24/176.4 and 24/192 and they all sound great via external DAC.

ziggyb63
2009-09-09, 05:05
I can confirm they sound great (I have 60+ DVD-A's ripped at varying qualities...24/48, 24/88.2, 24/176.4 and 24/192 and they all sound great via external DAC.
Yeah, I have about 40 DVD-A's I ripped, then used SOX manually to get to 24/48 - but I then deleted the original rips :( Guess I am going to have to re-do them all again....

Can't wait, 24/96 out to my Benchmark DAC1... wonder if I will be able to tell the difference....?

Phil Leigh
2009-09-10, 03:43
Yeah, I have about 40 DVD-A's I ripped, then used SOX manually to get to 24/48 - but I then deleted the original rips :( Guess I am going to have to re-do them all again....

Can't wait, 24/96 out to my Benchmark DAC1... wonder if I will be able to tell the difference....?

I'm sure a lot of the perceived improvement is because the mix/master is better...not just because of the higher sampling rate. Not all DVD-A's show a massive improvement over redbook - some barely at all.

The most frustrating part is trying to find "better than redbook" versions of stuff... Why can I get Nick of Time by Bonnie Raitt but not Luck of The Draw???

Why is the only high-rez Dire Straits album Brothers In Arms? (my least favourite!!!)

FredFredrickson
2009-09-10, 11:06
it really does suck, getting the highest quality source. I find the only way to guarantee perfect quality is the band-in-your-home approach. I just kidnap Sting, and there you go- it doesn't get much higher quality than this!

GeeJay
2009-09-10, 17:10
Why is the only high-rez Dire Straits album Brothers In Arms? (my least favourite!!!)

Could it be because it was the only album in their catalog that was digitally recorded?

I remember this because Brother in Arms was the very first CD I bought with my first CD player...one of the few pop/rock "DDD" CDs on the market "back in the day".

ziggyb63
2009-09-11, 12:06

Yeah, I know. I made the 'mistake' of getting that on SACD. At least some of the hundred's of SACDs I 'invested' in are hybrids (like Brothers In Arms), so I can rip them. Mind you , I still prefer a properly mixed multichannel experience compared to Dolby Pro Logic II, so I can't complain too much.

kwlinca
2009-09-11, 14:02
Will the Touch use the same remote codes as the Classic? I currently use a Harmony/Logitech remote to control my Classic. If not, I assume that Logitech will add the Touch to the programming menu of the remote?

kdf
2009-09-11, 14:09
>
> Will the Touch use the same remote codes as the Classic? I currently use
> a Harmony/Logitech remote to control my Classic.

Same codes. The remote itself is a bit different design. There are a few
new codes for "configurable" buttons.

> If not, I assume that
> Logitech will add the Touch to the programming menu of the remote?

Both Touch and Radio are in the database for Harmony remotes.

-kdf

funkstar
2009-09-12, 03:21
Lots of work has been done by the Harmony team to make sure the codes and timing are as accurate as possible for all the Squeeze hardware.

CouchPotatoe
2009-09-13, 09:36
Something with the Controller's functionality to control the music played on multiple devices, but with the Touch's dimensions\screen and in-wall mounting feature?

My wish would be for a neat handheld 'tablet' type controller - similar/identical from the front to the touch but slimmer and without the back bulge. No inbuilt playback capabilities. It would be battery operated with as long a life as possible, and could be popped into either a desk standing cradle or wallmount holder where it would charge and be useable - both options..

If it could send IR (or supported an accompanying Ethernet infra red sender) so that it could be used as a remote for other devices then even better.

Hopefully with the flexibility of the platform lots of other home automation uses will emerge.

K

funkstar
2009-09-13, 10:51
Hopefully with the flexibility of the platform lots of other home automation uses will emerge.
All these things are possible, it's just a matter of there being a large enough market for that particular derivative to be successful.

ziggyb63
2009-09-13, 11:01
and could be popped into either a desk standing cradle or wallmount holder where it would charge and be usable - both options..

Now I like that. I can see having multiple wallmounts in various rooms, then maybe two of these devices and moving them from room to room as required.

gweempose
2009-09-13, 17:10
My wish would be for a neat handheld 'tablet' type controller - similar/identical from the front to the touch but slimmer and without the back bulge. No inbuilt playback capabilities. It would be battery operated with as long a life as possible, and could be popped into either a desk standing cradle or wallmount holder where it would charge and be useable - both options.What you describe sounds a heck of a lot like an iPod Touch. :)

ziggyb63
2009-09-14, 04:50
What you describe sounds a heck of a lot like an iPod Touch. :)

Well apart from the requirement of "No inbuilt playback capabilities." :)