PDA

View Full Version : Want to add a sub - but what do I need?

rickrapp
2009-09-06, 06:11
Hello all - long time listener, first time caller...

I have a Boom and LOVE it - they should call it the BOMB, 'cause that's what it is!!! Da Bomb!!

Just got the controller yesterday, yup.....LOVE IT

Now I want to add a sub - but don't know what I am looking for as the Boom only has the little "headphone" jack to plug in a sub. Are there special subs made for this? Will any sub work? Guessing the sub has to be self powered?

I obviously am very new to this.....thanks for the help

Mnyb
2009-09-06, 10:39
Self powered sub it is.

And the contact there are mini to RCA converters everywhere.

The Headphone out can be headphone or sub it's a setting in the boom.

rickrapp
2009-09-06, 11:42
OK, so really ANY sub would work? I can find a "converter" wire to plug any type of sub in to jack?

Thanks!

Aurumer
2009-09-06, 11:56
Not really any. You need a sub with integrated power amp and a cable adaptor, thats it.

funkstar
2009-09-06, 12:05
OK, so really ANY sub would work? I can find a "converter" wire to plug any type of sub in to jack?

Thanks!
Yup, any sub will work.

As for the cable, something like this will work: http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=48366

When set to sub output, the 3.5mm stereo jack will output the same signal on both left and right channels, so you can use a cable like that and then connect the sub to either phono connector and it will work.

You might be able to find a mono 3.5mm jack to phono, it isn't needed, but it keeps things tidy (and I like tidy cables).

EDIT: Here we go, this is the mono version: http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?moduleno=34197

rickrapp
2009-09-06, 12:23
Any suggestions for what type of sub to get?

Don't want to go crazy, but whats the best Boom for the Buck?

pski
2009-09-06, 13:12

Velodyne

ccrome2
2009-09-06, 16:43

I've used the sub from logitech 2.1 speakers before. Just set the satellites aside, and plug in the sub. It makes an amazing difference, even with the low-end subwoofers.

Seach on Amazon for 'Logitech 2.1' and you'll find some amazingly inexpensive subs. As low as $29.99! Maybe make a step up to 49.99 for a little more oomph.

Or, check on craigslist for 2.1 speakers, and just use the '.1'. You'll have a hard time finding a better deal.

-Caleb

jacobdp
2009-09-06, 22:14
I'm very happy with my Velodyne VX-10 and Boom.