PDA

View Full Version : Desktop evaluation of Touch

Paul Webster
2009-09-06, 03:35
Is there an emulation of Squeezebox Touch (a sort of SoftSqueeze / SqueezeOS) that will show people what the Touch (and Radio) looks like?

Needn't run TinySC - although seeing what can and can't be done in TinySC would be interesting as well.

Could even be a VM given that it is running Linux

funkstar
2009-09-06, 06:02
There sort of is already.

Get Squeezeplay from here: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.4

Connect it to SqueezePlay (which is itself) and then to your server or SqueezeNetwork. Then change the skin to the Desktop skin.

It is a really old build (r5936 vs. r7424), it was really just hacked about to get a desktop version working, Touch is miles ahead in terms of looks and functionality, but eventually SqueezePlay will be updated to reflect the work thats been going on with SqueezeOS on Touch, Radio and even the Controller.

This has taken a long backseat ride, and I don't expect anything until the new year to be honest. Once Tocuh and Radio have been successfully released and first day bigs have been corrected with a 0.0.1 update.

bluegaspode
2009-09-06, 07:10
This old available SqeezePlay can't be used to simulate the Touch. This starts already with the theme, which is still the 7.3 style, regardles of whether you connect to a 7.4 server.

This has taken a long backseat ride, and I don't expect anything until the new year to be honest.

I already saw a SqueezePlay with 7.4-Theme in some of erlands screenshot.
So there seems to exist a very current version, but it's just not downloadable :(
Without a current SqueezePlay applet-development is a nightmare - I don't think that the Logitech-developers use half of their day just with rebooting the touch/controller/radio.

So lets just hope, that the current SqueezePlay will be made available very very soon.

funkstar
2009-09-06, 09:58
I already saw a SqueezePlay with 7.4-Theme in some of erlands screenshot.
So there seems to exist a very current version, but it's just not downloadable :(
Without a current SqueezePlay applet-development is a nightmare - I don't think that the Logitech-developers use half of their day just with rebooting the touch/controller/radio.

So lets just hope, that the current SqueezePlay will be made available very very soon.
Might be an idea to contact Erland and ask him about it. I have the feeling that he downloaded the sources and compiled it himself though.

bluegaspode
2009-09-06, 12:00
The sources (at least for the JIVE/SqueezePlay part) are frozen in SVN and not newer than the stuff that can be downloaded.

I already opened a thread in the beta-forums, but noone is answering :(
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=67136

funkstar
2009-09-06, 12:11
I would guess there is a private SVN branch/server with the updated code. It would have given away too much details on Touch if ti was public I suspect.

mherger
2009-09-06, 23:35
> I would guess there is a private SVN branch/server with the updated
> code. It would have given away too much details on Touch if ti was
> public I suspect.

Very true. I expect to see the branches merged pretty soon. Then the
nightly builds will up to date too.

JJZolx
2009-09-06, 23:45
How well will Squeezeplay mimic the Touch and the Radio and the Controller when it does come out? Does anyone really have time to create skins for Squeezeplay for every SP based device just for the sake of creating desktop evaluation software? As it is, desktop Squeezeplay must be an very low priority.

mherger
2009-09-06, 23:58
> How well will Squeezeplay mimic the Touch and the Radio and the
> Controller when it does come out? Does anyone really have time to
> create skins for Squeezeplay for every SP based device just for the sake
> of creating desktop evaluation software?

It's the very skins which are being used on the devices (as with the
Controller skin before).

rtitmuss
2009-09-07, 01:01
How well will Squeezeplay mimic the Touch and the Radio and the Controller when it does come out? Does anyone really have time to create skins for Squeezeplay for every SP based device just for the sake of creating desktop evaluation software? As it is, desktop Squeezeplay must be an very low priority.

As Michael has said it uses the same skins. Making desktop Squeezeplay a 'product', as your rightly say is low priority. However most of the time do use this for development, for example Ben develops the various skins on the desktop with just final testing on the devices themselves. Much of the rest of the UI and audio code is also developed first in desktop Squeezeplay. So keeping it working as a development tool is a priority for us - developing on the desktop is much quicker than on various devices.

Richard

JJZolx
2009-09-07, 01:40
As Michael has said it uses the same skins. Making desktop Squeezeplay a 'product', as your rightly say is low priority. However most of the time do use this for development, for example Ben develops the various skins on the desktop with just final testing on the devices themselves. Much of the rest of the UI and audio code is also developed first in desktop Squeezeplay. So keeping it working as a development tool is a priority for us - developing on the desktop is much quicker than on various devices.

How are the various UIs duplicated? For Touch, do mouse clicks mimic touches, touch-hold and swiping, as well as flicking and chiral scrolling? Is there an onscreen remote, ala Softsqueeze to duplicate IR input?

Then for the Baby skin, do all the touch/mousings go away so that you're only left with something (arrow keys, mouse wheel?) to duplicate the wheel?

bluegaspode
2009-09-07, 14:13
Then for the Baby skin, do all the touch/mousings go away so that you're only left with something (arrow keys, mouse wheel?) to duplicate the wheel?
You can try this out with the current SqueezePlay.

You can put it into 'Desktop-Style' as well as 'Controller'-Style (it's just a matter of resolutions).
Mouse will always work for clicks, though the controller isn't a touch device :) ... Wheel is simulated by cursor up/down, Enter is the middle button.
Most other buttons are just simulated by different keys.

Different layouts are handled by 'styles'. So you just have to say 'I need a popup' and the styles care for correct sizes and layout and background-images. So the same applets/code can be used for Touch, Radio, Controller and even the desktop-version without much porting.

If you have a controller and the 7.4 firmware you will get a good impression of how the touch and radio is working.