PDA

View Full Version : WEP Connection problem

Tube Nube
2009-09-05, 19:56
Greetings.

I've searched, and if I've failed to find a posted solution, please forgive.

I've been using an SB classic without problem, wirelessly and passwordlessly connected for 9 months.

Today my internet was upgraded by my service provider. I don't really understand the details of it. Just that it's now a WEP network, and password protected.

Well, the 13 character password that gets me on my network isn't accepted by the SB.

Re configuring the network settings on the SB, it gives me a choice of 64 or 128 bit WEP...whatever.

The 64 bit option has too few spaces for my password, the 128 too many.

I tried to reconfigure my computer to just not have a password. Can't do it.

Stuck.

I have no idea whatsoever, now, what to do.

Recommendations most eagerly appreciated.

Oh, might help to note that I"m using a mac power book. FWIW.
Thanks.

dBerriff
2009-09-06, 01:42
WiFi terminology has been inherited from the standards side with no attempt to make it more accessible ...

Diagnosis at a distance is difficult but here goes...

1. If your internet access has been upgraded this should have no affect on your WiFi set up. WiFi is purely internal to your network so unless they changed the settings on your wireless base-station (or router, or access point, or whatever you are used to calling it) nothing should have changed. So, the first question is: what exactly did they "upgrade". Did they mess around with your WiFi wireless settings?

2. WEP is an old deprecated standard. No one who knew what they were doing (and here I mean the service provider who should not have left you wondering how to deal with the "upgrade") would "upgrade" to this. The current domestic standard is WPA, normally (in the UK at least) WPA with TKIP or WPA2 Personal for domestic use. If you have been given a password that is not a hexadecimal number (using the characters 0 - 9 and A -F [or a - f] only) - in other words just a normal password then you have a WPA set up.

If you can check on or confirm the above that will help with what we suggest next.

fcm4711
2009-09-06, 02:38
Hi there

I think it's sad that a provider "upgrades" a customers router to use WEP as wireless encryption, because WEP is close to useless. The only wireless encryption standard right now that is not yet cracked it WPA2. Some even claim they can crack WPA within minutes.

But I guess you probably aren't looking for a lecture about wireless security but for a solution. I think you need to convert the ASCII WEP key to a HEX key. This should give you 26 HEX numbers from your 13 ASCII characters.

Try a WEP key converter like this one:

http://www.dirtymonday.net/key_convert.html

Hope this helps
Felix

avta
2009-09-06, 07:14
If I remember right WEP encryption uses 10 characters. Are you certain that's what it is?

Tube Nube
2009-09-06, 09:05
Thanks so much for your reply.

They brought in a new wireless router -- something to do with the digital cable tv that was being bundled with internet service.

Previously, I had no password protection. Just an open network. So he had me choose a 13 digit WEP password. That works fine to get my computer on the network, but not the SB.

He gave me a cable to connect directly between my computer's ethernet port and the router if I should have to change settings. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that, if that's what's called for.

WiFi terminology has been inherited from the standards side with no attempt to make it more accessible ...

Diagnosis at a distance is difficult but here goes...

1. If your internet access has been upgraded this should have no affect on your WiFi set up. WiFi is purely internal to your network so unless they changed the settings on your wireless base-station (or router, or access point, or whatever you are used to calling it) nothing should have changed. So, the first question is: what exactly did they "upgrade". Did they mess around with your WiFi wireless settings?

2. WEP is an old deprecated standard. No one who knew what they were doing (and here I mean the service provider who should not have left you wondering how to deal with the "upgrade") would "upgrade" to this. The current domestic standard is WPA, normally (in the UK at least) WPA with TKIP or WPA2 Personal for domestic use. If you have been given a password that is not a hexadecimal number (using the characters 0 - 9 and A -F [or a - f] only) - in other words just a normal password then you have a WPA set up.

If you can check on or confirm the above that will help with what we suggest next.

Tube Nube
2009-09-06, 09:10
If I remember right WEP encryption uses 10 characters. Are you certain that's what it is?

area code, cell number, area code. Yeah, 13.

Tube Nube
2009-09-06, 09:18
Shi-ZAM!

(to quote old Gomer Pyle)

Felix, that worked.

I thank you.

Amazing to me what expertise can be found on these forums.

-Brenton

Hi there

I think it's sad that a provider "upgrades" a customers router to use WEP as wireless encryption, because WEP is close to useless. The only wireless encryption standard right now that is not yet cracked it WPA2. Some even claim they can crack WPA within minutes.

But I guess you probably aren't looking for a lecture about wireless security but for a solution. I think you need to convert the ASCII WEP key to a HEX key. This should give you 26 HEX numbers from your 13 ASCII characters.

Try a WEP key converter like this one:

http://www.dirtymonday.net/key_convert.html

Hope this helps
Felix

dBerriff
2009-09-06, 10:15
Glad you got it fixed. I have learnt something too, only ever having used WEP as a demo when teaching and stuck to WPA for everything else. Now I know there are such things as WEP key convertors.

Tube Nube
2009-09-06, 10:55
Glad you got it fixed. I have learnt something too, only ever having used WEP as a demo when teaching and stuck to WPA for everything else. Now I know there are such things as WEP key convertors.

I've book marked that page for the next time ... just thinking ahead so's I don't have to ask again.

-Brenton