PDA

View Full Version : Where is Fred Bould ?

epoch1970
2009-09-05, 13:32
(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)
It surely doesn't look bad, but the SB3 is sooo elegant.
My opinion only.

pfarrell
2009-09-05, 13:57
epoch1970 wrote:
> It surely doesn't look bad, but the SB3 is sooo elegant.
> My opinion only.

I may be blind, but the Touch looks a lot like the SB3.

What don't you like?

(I have zero clue if Fred was involved)

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

epoch1970
2009-09-05, 15:06
I regret the wide bezel around the screen. The height / width ratio is also different, but I'm unsure this has to do with my impression. Anyway i'd like to see one in the flesh; pictures can be deceiving.

Mark Miksis
2009-09-05, 15:16
The Touch is narrower and slightly taller than the Classic. Actual dimensions are on the website. It is also thinner and leans back at a slightly greater angle.

autopilot
2009-09-06, 00:53
The one criticism i have with the physical design is the screen size. Not the size per-say, but the fact the border between the screen and casing is to big. But it looks far worse in the photos i have seen, it does look a lot better in the flesh. It a nice looking bit of kit.

funkstar
2009-09-06, 05:45
The one criticism i have with the physical design is the screen size. Not the size per-say, but the fact the border between the screen and casing is to big. But it looks far worse in the photos i have seen, it does look a lot better in the flesh. It a nice looking bit of kit.
This was my thoughts when I first saw the Touch.

I suspect the overall size is due to the size of the PCB, there is a lot more hardware in there than teh SB3. The screen size will be a cost issue. A 5" or 6" screen would probably fit, but the standard 4" screen will be significantly cheaper than either of those options, especially as it will be an off the shelf part used in many other devices. One of the devs did say they would have loved a wider screen that had ~10mm all round it, but custom screens like that are only feasible if you Apple, Sony or Dell with their buying powers and volume.

Mark Lanctot
2009-09-08, 08:52
Fred Bould is mentioned in the credits of both Touch and Radio. I don't know if it means he was actually involved in the design, he was brought in by Slim Devices for the SB3, Logitech likely does this in-house now.

andyg
2009-09-08, 08:54
Bould Design did do the design for both Radio and Touch.