PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Radio for dummies...

Peter314
2009-09-05, 12:54
... well, this dummy anyway.

It seems that a remote is available as an optional extra. Can any beta tester tell me how easy it is to navigate around menus and search for artists/albums or radio stations without a remote?

The small footprint of the Radio makes it very suitable for use as a bedside alarm, and it would be neat not to have to use a remote for basic functions.

Peter

pfarrell
2009-09-05, 12:57
Peter314 wrote:
> It seems that a remote is available as an optional extra. Can any beta
> tester tell me how easy it is to navigate around menus and search for
> artists/albums or radio stations without a remote?

I have my Radio next to my "man chair" in my living room. On the same
table is a Controller and a basket of remotes. I never, ever, use the SD
remotes to control my Radio.

The big knob is a joy to use.

But I rarely try to enter any alphabetic data on any of my squeezeBoxens
or controls.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Mark Miksis
2009-09-05, 13:24
IMO, it's actually easier to enter search text on Boom or Radio with the knob than it is with a remote.

Peter314
2009-09-05, 13:25
The big knob is a joy to use.

That is good to hear!

But I rarely try to enter any alphabetic data on any of my squeezeBoxens or controls.

Indeed, it is the entering of such data that I am particularly curious about. Maybe I have been spoilt by Lazysearch (curse you, Stuart Hickinbottom! :)) but, having a choice between the IR remote and the Controller with a Classic, I just find the remote a lot quicker and easier to use for alphanumeric searching. For bedside operation, just turning the knob and pressing buttons on the player seems preferable.

Without a remote, what do you acutally do to search by artist?

pfarrell
2009-09-05, 13:28
Peter314 wrote:
> Without a remote, what do you acutally -do- to search by artist?

Punch big button, twist it to "by artist"
see long list, twist knob to scroll down.
Punch big button to select

--
Pat Farrell

Peter314
2009-09-05, 13:31
IMO, it's actually easier to enter search text on Boom or Radio with the knob than it is with a remote.

Excellent! How do you do that, exactly. Let's say you wanted to search for Otway and Barrett, for example. What knob-twiddling would you have to do, (and can you make use of Lazysearch..?)

Peter314
2009-09-05, 13:33
Peter314 wrote:
> Without a remote, what do you acutally -do- to search by artist?

Punch big button, twist it to "by artist"
see long list, twist knob to scroll down.
Punch big button to select

--
Pat Farrell

Crikey - piece of cake! Well done Logitech! Thanks Pat - this is so going on my Birthday List. :)

Mark Miksis
2009-09-05, 13:36
I don't think Lazy Search is available for Radio yet and I don't know what Stuart's plans are.

I found that my thumb became "calibrated" to the speed of scrolling through the alphabet pretty easily. I can now give the knob a quick twist and "jump" to a spot in the alphabet pretty close to the letter I want.

Peter314
2009-09-05, 13:39
I don't think Lazy Search is available for Radio yet and I don't know what Stuart's plans are.

I found that my thumb became "calibrated" to the speed of scrolling through the alphabet pretty easily. I can now give the knob a quick twist and "jump" to a spot in the alphabet pretty close to the letter I want.

Thank you; that sounds pretty good actually.

If I may trouble you further, how about MusicIP Mixer? I would like to be able to create a mix to doze to of a Sunday morning...

Mark Miksis
2009-09-05, 13:44
If I may trouble you further, how about MusicIP Mixer? I would like to be able to create a mix to doze to of a Sunday morning...

Sorry, I don't use MusicIP and I don't know for sure.

Peter314
2009-09-05, 14:00
No problem, Mark, thanks for your prompt replies. I am sure someone with MusicIP and SB Radio experience will have the answer...

Siduhe
2009-09-05, 14:13
MusicIP on the SB Radio works in a similar way to the Controller - find track, hit the Add button (+) and one of the context options is "Create MusicIP mix". Working fine for me.

Currently, you can't tweak the mix settings before you create the mix (like you can on the SB Classic or the Boom) but there's an open enhancement request for that functionality.

Peter314
2009-09-05, 14:21
MusicIP on the SB Radio works in a similar way to the Controller - find track, hit the Add button (+) and one of the context options is "Create MusicIP mix". Working fine for me.

Currently, you can't tweak the mix settings before you create the mix (like you can on the SB Classic or the Boom) but there's an open enhancement request for that functionality.

That's great, thank you!

(and you have taught me something about the Controller that I hadn't realised... :))

iPhone
2009-09-05, 18:30
That's great, thank you!

(and you have taught me something about the Controller that I hadn't realised... :))

Sounds like you might own other Squeezeboxes and maybe a Controller. If this is the case, IMO you don't need a Radio remote. You will have the knob to navigate with and Controller/other SB remote if needed.

danco
2009-09-06, 00:59
Sounds like you might own other Squeezeboxes and maybe a Controller. If this is the case, IMO you don't need a Radio remote. You will have the knob to navigate with and Controller/other SB remote if needed.

As far as I could see, though, the available accessories (or, rather, soon to be available) consists of a pack consisting of the battery and the remote, with no option just to buy one of the two.

funkstar
2009-09-06, 05:47
As far as I could see, though, the available accessories (or, rather, soon to be available) consists of a pack consisting of the battery and the remote, with no option just to buy one of the two.
Correct. This may change in the future though, once they have their supply chain all ironed out.

Peter314
2009-09-06, 10:30

Yep, a couple of SB3s and an SB+ (same thing as far as controls go, of course). The Controller came as a sweetener when I bought some speakers, but I find the remote easier to use, and iPeng much cooler (when I can prise her iPod Touch from my younger daughter's hands. ;))

Being able to navigate the Radio just by twiddling and pressing the knob sounds fine, though.

Mark Lanctot
2009-09-08, 12:10

Any recent remote from at least the SB2 onwards will work with the Radio though, so you can get either the Boom remote or the backlit one if you want, or use one from one of your other players if you have one.

Also the knob's been mentioned in this thread. This seems to be exactly the same knob from Boom in terms of size and feel, and the knob on Boom and Radio is fantastic - big, easy to use, nonslip, nice detents, etc.

JJZolx
2009-09-08, 12:26
It's much easier to use the wheel than the remote. The IR interface on the Squeebox Radio and the Squeezebox Touch are no better than they are on the SB3. Jerky, slow and unpredictable. The only improvement is the added benefit of multiple lines of output.

The thing about using a remote with the Squeezebox Radio is that the screen is so small that you can't really use a remote much beyond an arm's length anyway. With the Touch you get a larger font (3 lines vs. 5) when you use the remote a little distance from the device. Not so for the Radio.

danco
2009-09-08, 23:32
Any recent remote from at least the SB2 onwards will work with the Radio though

I thought that was likely. However, my interest would be in getting the battery without the remote, since I have my SB remote.

rickwookie
2009-09-09, 13:38
The IR interface on the Squeebox Radio and the Squeezebox Touch are no better than they are on the SB3. Jerky, slow and unpredictable.

No better? That description sounds actually worse. I use the IR remote on my SB3 a lot and find it smooth, fast and consistent. Are the IR receivers on these new devices no good?

JJZolx
2009-09-09, 13:41
No better? That description sounds actually worse. I use the IR remote on my SB3 a lot and find it smooth, fast and consistent. Are the IR receivers on these new devices no good?

No worse. I've never liked the IR interface on the older players. Works OK for volume and short lists, but scrolling long lists has always sucked.

radish
2009-09-09, 14:02
It's worth pointing out that the software on the beta units is still exactly that :) IR interface is still a work in progress as I understand it.

rickwookie
2009-09-09, 14:19
No worse. I've never liked the IR interface on the older players. Works OK for volume and short lists, but scrolling long lists has always sucked.

Hmmm, yeah scrolling isn't the best on the SB3, mostly though in my opinion due to the fact that you only have a couple of lines on the display so you can't 'look ahead' as you scroll.

You do have a lot of short-cuts though with the IR remote, including jumping to letters in lists and having a kind of keyboard with the number pad.