PDA

View Full Version : TinySC & iTunes?

JeffHart
2009-09-05, 06:51
Wondering if TinySC will integrate with an existing iTunes install on a system connected to the network? I'm thinking of consumers who have iTunes but may not be interested in managing a Squeezebox Server.

TIA & Cheers,
Jeff

JJZolx
2009-09-05, 09:46
Wondering if TinySC will integrate with an existing iTunes install on a system connected to the network? I'm thinking of consumers who have iTunes but may not be interested in managing a Squeezebox Server.

That seems highly doubtful since TinySC won't be able to use a music library located on a network share.

autopilot
2009-09-05, 10:24
But you probably could keep your itunes library on the drive attached to the Touch, maybe map the samba share to a drive in windows for itunes. I will try when i get chance.

Not sure thats helps though.

I have also managed to attach my ipod classic to to touch fine too, think it scanned its music fine if i remember correctly.

JJZolx
2009-09-05, 10:32
But you probably could keep your itunes library on the drive attached to the Touch, maybe map the samba share to a drive in windows for itunes. I will try when i get chance.

So you'd be running a computer on your network, running iTunes on the computer, but its database and library are on the USB drive attached to the Touch?

I have also managed to attach my ipod classic to to touch fine too, think it scanned its music fine if i remember correctly.

That might make more sense (import the iTunes database from the iPod) but why not just scan the drive in the iPod? With the planned auto-scanning feature of TinySC there wouldn't be much to gain by using the iTunes database.

Also, TinySC doesn't support plugins, and the iTunes integration is done through a plugin.

autopilot
2009-09-05, 10:44
So you'd be running a computer on your network, running iTunes on the computer, but its database and library are on the USB drive attached to the Touch?

Well er yes, that would allow people who use itunes to rip and manage their music for the touch and tinysc more directly. Just means they dont have to copy stuff over - rip in itunes directly to the touch, which tinysc should automatically add the the new scanner.

Not saying its the best method, but doable for people that way inclined. Other people do this with their nas. I might try ripping directly to the touch with eac. Probably not a good idea, just because i can :)

DaveWr
2009-09-06, 00:04
There appears to be a fundamental issue for iTunes users - no transcoding of Apple formats are supported.....

Dave

Mnyb
2009-09-06, 00:14
There appears to be a fundamental issue for iTunes users - no transcoding of Apple formats are supported.....

Dave

Only needed if your going to interface with older devices Touch and radio does AAC native. If one have the older devices you might as well run a real server.

For new custommers with loads of AAC this is good news, it's is good news for us with servers to as more native formats in devices mean less transcoding overall.