PDA

View Full Version : Quality of the screen ? quality of the touch ?

Mnyb
2009-09-04, 19:28
Congratulations to the fantastically well thought out design of this product.
I will order one.

But I'm wondering have there been any aging test's with the screen ?
or the device as a whole, but is not the screen the sensitive part.

I regard any squeezebox as a hifi product and not a computer peripheral (sold on pin-packs at local pc store).

So I'm expecting hifi style longevity and quality of the product.
Can one have >10 years of useful product life out of it ? like most amplifiers have, or my speakers that are from 1994 and still ok.

GeeJay
2009-09-04, 19:44
Screen quality is of interest to me as well. Mine would be in a room with lots of bright, natural light. My Controller gets washed out easily (virtually useless outside), would much prefer a vibrant screen like my daughter's IPod Touch.

radish
2009-09-05, 18:41
The screen is very bright, I'd consider it basically the same as an iPhone. It's also a capacitive touch screen which is much better than a resistive.

MeSue
2009-09-05, 19:59
It's very bright. I have mine on the desk where I work every day. I keep it dialed back to about 40% of full brightness.

LukeS
2009-09-05, 20:54
Is the screen LED backlite??

Mnyb
2009-09-05, 21:31
It's very bright. I have mine on the desk where I work every day. I keep it dialed back to about 40% of full brightness.

Meaning even if it ages you can still see it in 10 years ?
I suppose you can turn of the screen when not playing, it is tempting to use it as a clock.

While the Tough have no battery to burn, I was using the controller as a clock for a year, I don't know how much damage my screen took I can still use it just fine. Remember the tread where one fellow actually got out and compared his SBC to SBC's in store's and some of the stores also had both brand new ones and demo's wich had been on all the time. He could consistently see the used SBC's had lost brightness ?

So while the "computer" part of the Touch might work for ages I'm just concerned by the type and Quality of screen.

I'm thinking out loud here, these types of screen is usually used on cellphones and PDA's ? nobody uses these things for 10 years ?
So have logitech found a small type of screen more suitable for a hifi device
if not can it be changed easily for reasonable cost ?

pfarrell
2009-09-05, 21:43
Mnyb wrote:
> I'm thinking out loud here, these types of screen is usually used on
> cellphones and PDA's ? nobody uses these things for 10 years ?
> So have logitech found a small type of screen more suitable for a hifi
> device if not can it be changed easily for reasonable cost ?

Without any knowledge, I bet that its the same screen that Logitech uses
on their high end remote controls.

I don't follow your logic. Its a consumer media device. None of them
last ten years. Even the vinyl LP only lasted about 25 years.

Consumer electronics don't last decades. They also don't cost all that much.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Mnyb
2009-09-05, 21:59
Thats not my experience even cheap amplifiers and CD players that I owned have worked at least 10 years.

I think an amp from sony or hk or denon would last at least 10 years.

As a matter of fact the only things that have failed for me is some of these cottage brand high end products :-/

"Normal" CE products have high quality.

And even those pesky mini stereos seems to last to long.

When I visit non audio interested friends I often finds the old boy room stereo in their garage thats stuff made in the eighties or older if inherited from older siblings or parents.

JJZolx
2009-09-05, 22:43
This device much more closely resembles a computer or consumer electronics device than a piece of audio equipment in its construction. How long would you expect a laptop computer to last? Or a GPS?

Like those devices, the most likely scenario is that the Squeezebox Touch will become obsolete before it physically dies. An amplifier that you buy today may be replaced by an upgraded model next year, but it performs the same function that an amplifier performed 50 years ago. There a big difference between something like that and an audio gadget like the Squeezebox.

I bought a Squeezebox 1 on Nov 29, 2004 (near the end of the product's lifetime) and retired it less than a year later after buying a Squeezebox 2, which did so many things better and more reliably. That's the sort of fate you can probably expect.

Mnyb
2009-09-05, 23:05
SB3 bought 02/06/2006 06:41 AM

When tough arrives SB3 will do kitchen duty receiver will go to the bathroom (or maybe i'm put it in a drawer )then I'm out of rooms, so SB longevity is about the size of your home to ;)

Laptops we lease them for 4 years at our work then reuse them for legacy stuff and measurements (8 year old laptop connected to a datalogger nobody steals that ) s, but screens are working, so laptop works 10 years but you only want them for 4 years.
We have some really old ones to..

Edit: can you build stuff that have technical life shorter than 10 years if 2 years warranty and failures following a bell curve would not the warranty cost for early failures be to high if stuff only last 3 years ?