PDA

View Full Version : USB Drive on Touch Questions

pablolie
2009-09-04, 12:50
So I have learned the SBTouch (henceforth called SBT) can operate of a large USB drive. Which means I could connect my collection on a 500GB drive. And the SBT could act as a SC for the rest of all things Squeeze(tm) in my household. Sounds pretty cool.

The remaining question is whether the USB drive off the SBT could also be controlled (and downloaded and backed up) from a PC. Does the SBT connect to the home network?

snarlydwarf
2009-09-04, 12:53
So I have learned the SBTouch (henceforth called SBT) can operate of a large USB drive. Which means I could connect my collection on a 500GB drive. And the SBT could act as a SC for the rest of all things Squeeze(tm) in my household. Sounds pretty cool.

The remaining question is whether the USB drive off the SBT could also be controlled (and downloaded and backed up) from a PC. Does the SBT connect to the home network?

Yes, it has a SMB server on it, so will support the usual Windows filesharing.

(Ie, rip a CD on your PC, drag it over to the network share on the SBT, and when it is all working, the SBT will notice the new files and add them automatically.)

pablolie
2009-09-04, 15:45
Excellent, thanks.

Now, to add to the new gadget appeal with the new screen that shows album art... I can claim it is a greener configuration than my current setup. And so the rationalization of a new purchase begins... :-)

pfarrell
2009-09-04, 15:59
pablolie wrote:
> Excellent, thanks.
> Now, to add to the new gadget appeal

The Touch has tons of gadget appeal that is not at all obvious at first
look.

Its a touch screeen WiFi enabled computer with great audio.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

kdf
2009-09-04, 16:03
> pablolie wrote:
>> Excellent, thanks.
>> Now, to add to the new gadget appeal
>
> The Touch has tons of gadget appeal that is not at all obvious at first
> look.

if the audio driver management can be worked out, a rehash of the youtube
demo applet would make quite a statement. :)

-k

bluegaspode
2009-09-04, 16:21
pablolie wrote:[color=blue]

It's a rather good looking touch-screen WiFi enabled computer with great audio which solves so many use-cases at once I'm still more than amazed.

Great Work Done !

Tomorrow I'll get my first real look on it at IFA, Good to live in Berlin :)
Hoping to find the Logitech Booth between all the other stuff.

Siduhe
2009-09-04, 16:30
pablolie wrote:
> Excellent, thanks.
> Now, to add to the new gadget appeal

The Touch has tons of gadget appeal that is not at all obvious at first
look.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Exactly. One of the best ideas discussed during the beta testing (in my view) was finding a way to hook the Touch up to something like this (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/webcam_communications/video_security_systems/devices/4311&cl=US,EN) so your doorbell rings and the image from the camera flashes up.

I can't remember who it was, but one of the senior devs confirmed this ought to be technically possible.

Kuben72
2009-09-05, 14:12
If I want to use the Touchs squeezeserver(TinySC) as the main server for the rest of my SBs and at the same time use it as the main controller it isn't a good thing to have a usb-drive laying around as well. It would be a good idea if the Touch could see a net-drive from another computer as the music source. Can the Touch do that?

Goodsounds
2009-09-05, 15:32
Exactly. One of the best ideas discussed during the beta testing (in my view) was finding a way to hook the Touch up to something like this (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/webcam_communications/video_security_systems/devices/4311&cl=US,EN) so your doorbell rings and the image from the camera flashes up.

I can't remember who it was, but one of the senior devs confirmed this ought to be technically possible.

With all due respect to those concerned, I sure hope there were better ideas than this one.

In my experience, one of the reasons why design engineers' voices are sometimes minimized in final product spec decisions is that they can have trouble distinguishing between features that are possible and features that are valuable.

If some hobbist thinks such a capability would be a fun project, by all means, they should do so and have a good time with it. Allow the hired developers to spend their limited resources improving the software and working on features with higher value and broader applicability.

PS - I do plan on buying a Touch. For music.

Siduhe
2009-09-05, 15:35
With all due respect to those concerned, I sure hope there were better ideas than this one.

In my experience, one of the reasons why design engineers' voices are sometimes minimized in final product spec decisions is that they can have trouble distinguishing between features that are possible and features that are valuable.

If some hobbist thinks such a capability would be a fun project, by all means, they should do so and have a good time with it. Allow the hired developers to spend their limited resources improving the software and working on features with higher value and broader applicability.

Fair enough - this was purely a discussion between users about possible extensions of the core functionality.

funkstar
2009-09-06, 05:27
As far as the web can functionality, it could be hived off to the appropriate Logitech division. Providing the right API hooks are put in place by the main devs, there is no reason why different departments couldn't release their own plugins for the Squeezebox system. After all, it isn't up to the Squeezebox devs to make sure the Harmony remotes work with their products, thats for the harmony guys to do (which they do, and they do it well).

cruz123
2009-09-08, 05:13
To clarify the original post, can the Touch power a usb powered hard drive, such as a 500gb Seagate FreeAgent/Go? If so, presumably it could access music directly from the drive, or would I still need to use Squeezecenter?

I quess what I'm trying to figure out is, can I hook a usb hard drive directly to the Touch and then control it with an Itouch using Ipeng? That would be SWEET!

andynormancx
2009-09-08, 05:20
I quess what I'm trying to figure out is, can I hook a usb hard drive directly to the Touch and then control it with an Itouch using Ipeng?

Yes you can.

cruz123
2009-09-08, 05:45
Outstanding. I have been reluctant to go to a hard drive based setup, but this may change my thinking.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Roger66
2009-09-08, 07:20
Does it support NTFS ?

Does its USB port provide enough DC Power for common 2,5" USB drives (up to ~1A while spin up) ?

Any data to the power consumption of SBT itself (On/Standby(Off) ?

funkstar
2009-09-08, 08:07
Does it support NTFS ?
This is slated for 8.0.1.

Does its USB port provide enough DC Power for common 2,5" USB drives (up to ~1A while spin up) ?
The USB spec is 500mA @ 5v. If a drive requires more than that, then it isnt complying to the USB spec.

Any data to the power consumption of SBT itself (On/Standby(Off) ?
I think this has been discussed in other threads.

andyg
2009-09-08, 08:17
On Sep 8, 2009, at 11:07 AM, funkstar wrote:

>
> Roger66;456301 Wrote:
>> Does it support NTFS ?
> This is slated for 8.0.1.
>
> Roger66;456301 Wrote:
>> Does its USB port provide enough DC Power for common 2,5" USB
>> drives (up
>> to ~1A while spin up) ?
> The USB spec is 500mA @ 5v. If a drive requires more than that, then
> it
> isnt complying to the USB spec.

Some drives work, some don't. If it works on a computer, it may or
may not work on Touch. It sucks but some drive manufacturers don't
follow the spec and require more power. You can sometimes tell this
is the case if the drive came with dual USB plugs (i.e. it uses twice
the power). We have a wiki page with devices that work, we will need
to move this to the public wiki.

funkstar
2009-09-08, 08:24
Just had a thought: you should be able to get round the power issue by using a powered USB hub. I believe this has been tested in the past on Touch and hubs are supported.

Roger66
2009-09-08, 09:35
The USB spec is 500mA @ 5v. If a drive requires more than that, then it isnt complying to the USB spec.

I know the USB specifications well, but I also know that nearly NO one of external 2,5" HDs does fulfill these specifications in the moment of spinup. 1A temporary power consumption (or even more) is a typical value seen here resulting in ALWAYS overloading USB for a short time when spinning up. A hardware designer can respect that in his design, or ignore that - simply pointing to USB specifications. Exactly that was the question ;-) ... This problem is just as old as external 2,5" HDs are, so it IMO can't be ignored for a brand new piece of hardware.

Y cable is no real option here as ...

- SBT only has one port
- Y cables always have different path length, so current doesn't divide symmetrical and one port gets more load than the other

So the only remaining option is another ugly and power draining external power supply just for HD :-(.

I think this has been discussed in other threads.
I've seen a discussion about this in another thread, but eMail notification didn't work :-(. Have to search it again.

maggior
2009-09-08, 10:39
Y cable is no real option here as ...

- SBT only has one port
- Y cables always have different path length, so current doesn't divide symmetrical and one port gets more load than the other

So the only remaining option is another ugly and power draining external power supply just for HD :-(.

You're right, but funkstar said "powered USB hub". I thought the same thing originally, but then I realized he said "powered".

Regardless, you still have a wall wart to deal with.

808htfan
2009-10-03, 19:29

Is that wiki page public now? Or waiting 'till the Touch is out?
Know if it works with them WD My Passport Essential drives?

MeSue
2009-10-03, 20:08
FWIW, I have a Seagate Freeagent Go 2.5" external drive that is able to be powered by the Touch USB port. Can't test anything beyond the fact that it powers up, since the drive is formatted NTFS and TinySC does not support NTFS yet.

Nikhil
2009-10-04, 19:31
Will the Touch support HFS+ (Journaled) in the future? I know it supports FAT32 out of the box, and someone said it supports EXT3. We have been promised NTFS support in the future, but there has been no mention of HFS+.

How does this thing handle multiple partitions on an external USB drive? What if the 2 partitions are formatted differently?

The reason I'm asking these questions now is that I am running out of space on my current drives (my Library is split between a FAT32 and HFS+Journaled drive), and I need to get something new. I'd rather format and backup my library in a way that is Touch compatible. I was thinking about an external 2.5 inch FW/USB drive that could also boot up both a PPC and Intel Mac with Leopard (I have already done this with a 400GB drive - it works just fine, you just need to do the initial setup on PPC with APM, and all subsequent updates on Intel; there is even an Apple article explaining this). Anyway, If I could have a single HFS+ J partition, that would be great, otherwise I will need to split it and do HFS+J & FAT32 or HFS+J & NTFS or HFS+J & EXT3.