PDA

View Full Version : alienstream - again



Joshua R. Smith
2004-06-22, 13:11
I have installed alienstream (I think correctly) on a linux box. It is
not clear to me how to set up a playlist for it. I created a playlist
folder called AlienStream and created a .pls file as the slimserver
instructions tells you for the bbc world service. Slimserver seems to
read the pls, but it wont play.

I know this may not be the correct forum for this, but if anyone has
this running properly Id appreciate some advice perhaps an example of
a working stream.

Thanks!
Josh



---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.707 / Virus Database: 463 - Release Date: 6/15/2004

Jules Taplin
2004-06-22, 13:37
Hi Josh.

I've just about got Alienstream running on my Linux Install (still not
exactly stable... and although streams play... it says 'connecting...'
forever.

However... the playlist format I used was like this:

[jules@store AlienStream]$ more Radio4.ram
rtsp://rmlivev8.bbc.net.uk/farm/*/ev7/live24/radio4/live/r4_dsat_g2.ra

(that is - a file called 'Radio4.ram', which contains the single line above.
I dragged that out of the source for the BBC Radio Player for the live Radio
4 stream.

For what it's worth... I don't know if AlienStream is being actively
developed... but for my mind, the single greatest addition that could be
made to SlimServer would be to be able to play all of the BBC content. To
that end - I think I've cracked enough HTML parsing to browse and select
streams from the BBC site that could be ported into a Plugin (in much the
same fashion that the ShoutCast plugin works).

However... I'm definately _NOT_ the man to make Alienstream itself work
itself. I might manage to insert it into the existing Alienstream.pm file -
but I think it still needs some work before it's a production-quality
option.


-- Jules


----- Original Message -----
From: "Joshua R. Smith" <jrs68 (AT) humboldt (DOT) edu>
To: <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 9:11 PM
Subject: [slim] alienstream - again


> I have installed alienstream (I think correctly) on a linux box. It is
> not clear to me how to set up a playlist for it. I created a playlist
> folder called AlienStream and created a .pls file as the slimserver
> instructions tells you for the bbc world service. Slimserver seems to
> read the pls, but it wont play.
>
> I know this may not be the correct forum for this, but if anyone has
> this running properly Id appreciate some advice perhaps an example of
> a working stream.
>
> Thanks!
> Josh
>
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.707 / Virus Database: 463 - Release Date: 6/15/2004
>
>
>
>

Craig Eales
2004-06-22, 23:50
I could not find a way to play AlienStream from the Web Interface, only from the remote on the squeeze box.
this is how I got it on the squeezebox:

You need to add AlienStream to your home menu

From the slim server web interface:

Server Settings -> Additional Settings -> Then add AlienStream from the list of inactive menu items.

Now on the Squeezebox - AlienStream should be visible on the main menu
via the remote, scroll right and you should see Radio4,
Select play on the remote and, all being well, it should say connecting, followed by messages about
buffering, a short while after reaching 100% it should start to play.

HTH,

Craig

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 06:26:32PM -0700, Joshua R. Smith wrote:
> I'm afraid you might have to walk me through a little more on this one.
>
> I made a file called "Radio4.ram" with that line of text you gave to me.
>
>
> This file is located in ~/music/playlists/AlienStream
>
> In Slimserver it does not locate that file. I did rescan the music
> files.
>
> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks!
> Josh
>

Mark Bennett
2004-06-29, 14:39
Hi Jules (or Peter if you're out there),

can you provide me some guidance on this?

I'm also using a RH9 setup, and I've installed all the software
needed, but I get similar symptoms to you reported here.

When I run Alienstream from the linux command prompt (following
Peter's instructions) I can get the radio playing, but it often
breaks up - I suspect network issues. I see the same thing using
the totem gui onto Xine-lib, so I'm not too worried about this
right now - small steps...

When I try to connect from the Squeezebox it just freezes (but
doesn't kill) SlimServer. Which SlimServer version have you
tested this on? (I'm currently on the official 5.2 release,
and haven't tried the more recent nightly yet.)

I'm desperate to get this going, and I think I'm getting really
close, but I need some pointers in the right direction - can
you help?

BTW, AlienBBC seems to work nicely (in terms of browsing the
BBC web pages), and would meet my needs very well, if only I
can get Alienstream working so I can actually listen to the
streams!

Thanks very much,
Mark.

Jules Taplin wrote:
> Hi Josh.
>
> I've just about got Alienstream running on my Linux Install (still not
> exactly stable... and although streams play... it says 'connecting...'
> forever.
>
> However... the playlist format I used was like this:
>
> [jules@store AlienStream]$ more Radio4.ram
> rtsp://rmlivev8.bbc.net.uk/farm/*/ev7/live24/radio4/live/r4_dsat_g2.ra
>
> (that is - a file called 'Radio4.ram', which contains the single line above.
> I dragged that out of the source for the BBC Radio Player for the live Radio
> 4 stream.
>
> For what it's worth... I don't know if AlienStream is being actively
> developed... but for my mind, the single greatest addition that could be
> made to SlimServer would be to be able to play all of the BBC content. To
> that end - I think I've cracked enough HTML parsing to browse and select
> streams from the BBC site that could be ported into a Plugin (in much the
> same fashion that the ShoutCast plugin works).
>
> However... I'm definately _NOT_ the man to make Alienstream itself work
> itself. I might manage to insert it into the existing Alienstream.pm file -
> but I think it still needs some work before it's a production-quality
> option.
>
>
> -- Jules
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Joshua R. Smith" <jrs68 (AT) humboldt (DOT) edu>
> To: <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
> Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 9:11 PM
> Subject: [slim] alienstream - again
>
>
>
>>I have installed alienstream (I think correctly) on a linux box. It is
>>not clear to me how to set up a playlist for it. I created a playlist
>>folder called AlienStream and created a .pls file as the slimserver
>>instructions tells you for the bbc world service. Slimserver seems to
>>read the pls, but it wont play.
>>
>>I know this may not be the correct forum for this, but if anyone has
>>this running properly Id appreciate some advice perhaps an example of
>>a working stream.
>>
>>Thanks!
>>Josh
>>
>>
>>
>>---
>>Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
>>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
>>Version: 6.0.707 / Virus Database: 463 - Release Date: 6/15/2004
>>
>>
>>
>>

Mark Bennett
2004-06-29, 14:54
I've also now tried the latest nightly (2004_06_29-1) but
with exactly the same symptoms.

Mark Bennett wrote:

> Hi Jules (or Peter if you're out there),
>
> can you provide me some guidance on this?
>
> I'm also using a RH9 setup, and I've installed all the software
> needed, but I get similar symptoms to you reported here.
>
> When I run Alienstream from the linux command prompt (following
> Peter's instructions) I can get the radio playing, but it often
> breaks up - I suspect network issues. I see the same thing using
> the totem gui onto Xine-lib, so I'm not too worried about this
> right now - small steps...
>
> When I try to connect from the Squeezebox it just freezes (but
> doesn't kill) SlimServer. Which SlimServer version have you
> tested this on? (I'm currently on the official 5.2 release,
> and haven't tried the more recent nightly yet.)
>
> I'm desperate to get this going, and I think I'm getting really
> close, but I need some pointers in the right direction - can
> you help?
>
> BTW, AlienBBC seems to work nicely (in terms of browsing the
> BBC web pages), and would meet my needs very well, if only I
> can get Alienstream working so I can actually listen to the
> streams!
>
> Thanks very much,
> Mark.
>
> Jules Taplin wrote:
>
>> Hi Josh.
>>
>> I've just about got Alienstream running on my Linux Install (still not
>> exactly stable... and although streams play... it says 'connecting...'
>> forever.
>>
>> However... the playlist format I used was like this:
>>
>> [jules@store AlienStream]$ more Radio4.ram
>> rtsp://rmlivev8.bbc.net.uk/farm/*/ev7/live24/radio4/live/r4_dsat_g2.ra
>>
>> (that is - a file called 'Radio4.ram', which contains the single line
>> above.
>> I dragged that out of the source for the BBC Radio Player for the live
>> Radio
>> 4 stream.
>>
>> For what it's worth... I don't know if AlienStream is being actively
>> developed... but for my mind, the single greatest addition that could be
>> made to SlimServer would be to be able to play all of the BBC content. To
>> that end - I think I've cracked enough HTML parsing to browse and select
>> streams from the BBC site that could be ported into a Plugin (in much the
>> same fashion that the ShoutCast plugin works).
>>
>> However... I'm definately _NOT_ the man to make Alienstream itself work
>> itself. I might manage to insert it into the existing Alienstream.pm
>> file -
>> but I think it still needs some work before it's a production-quality
>> option.
>>
>>
>> -- Jules
>>
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Joshua R. Smith" <jrs68 (AT) humboldt (DOT) edu>
>> To: <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
>> Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 9:11 PM
>> Subject: [slim] alienstream - again
>>
>>
>>
>>> I have installed alienstream (I think correctly) on a linux box. It is
>>> not clear to me how to set up a playlist for it. I created a playlist
>>> folder called AlienStream and created a .pls file as the slimserver
>>> instructions tells you for the bbc world service. Slimserver seems to
>>> read the pls, but it wont play.
>>>
>>> I know this may not be the correct forum for this, but if anyone has
>>> this running properly Id appreciate some advice perhaps an example of
>>> a working stream.
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Josh
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
>>> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
>>> Version: 6.0.707 / Virus Database: 463 - Release Date: 6/15/2004
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>

Jules Taplin
2004-06-29, 14:59
Hmmm.

Ok. That's a shame.

(And trying it out... I just managed to break it, too... looks like
something has slightly changed on the BBC site for at least one stream).

Gimme 10 mins, and I'll see if I can at least sort that bit out.

-- Jules


----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Bennett" <mark (AT) markandliz (DOT) co.uk>
To: "Slim Devices Discussion" <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 10:39 PM
Subject: [slim] alienstream - again


> Hi Jules (or Peter if you're out there),
>
> can you provide me some guidance on this?
>
> I'm also using a RH9 setup, and I've installed all the software
> needed, but I get similar symptoms to you reported here.
>
> When I run Alienstream from the linux command prompt (following
> Peter's instructions) I can get the radio playing, but it often
> breaks up - I suspect network issues. I see the same thing using
> the totem gui onto Xine-lib, so I'm not too worried about this
> right now - small steps...
>
> When I try to connect from the Squeezebox it just freezes (but
> doesn't kill) SlimServer. Which SlimServer version have you
> tested this on? (I'm currently on the official 5.2 release,
> and haven't tried the more recent nightly yet.)
>
> I'm desperate to get this going, and I think I'm getting really
> close, but I need some pointers in the right direction - can
> you help?
>
> BTW, AlienBBC seems to work nicely (in terms of browsing the
> BBC web pages), and would meet my needs very well, if only I
> can get Alienstream working so I can actually listen to the
> streams!
>
> Thanks very much,
> Mark.
>
> Jules Taplin wrote:
> > Hi Josh.
> >
> > I've just about got Alienstream running on my Linux Install (still not
> > exactly stable... and although streams play... it says 'connecting...'
> > forever.
> >
> > However... the playlist format I used was like this:
> >
> > [jules@store AlienStream]$ more Radio4.ram
> > rtsp://rmlivev8.bbc.net.uk/farm/*/ev7/live24/radio4/live/r4_dsat_g2.ra
> >
> > (that is - a file called 'Radio4.ram', which contains the single line
above.
> > I dragged that out of the source for the BBC Radio Player for the live
Radio
> > 4 stream.
> >
> > For what it's worth... I don't know if AlienStream is being actively
> > developed... but for my mind, the single greatest addition that could be
> > made to SlimServer would be to be able to play all of the BBC content.
To
> > that end - I think I've cracked enough HTML parsing to browse and select
> > streams from the BBC site that could be ported into a Plugin (in much
the
> > same fashion that the ShoutCast plugin works).
> >
> > However... I'm definately _NOT_ the man to make Alienstream itself work
> > itself. I might manage to insert it into the existing Alienstream.pm
file -
> > but I think it still needs some work before it's a production-quality
> > option.
> >
> >
> > -- Jules
> >
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: "Joshua R. Smith" <jrs68 (AT) humboldt (DOT) edu>
> > To: <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
> > Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 9:11 PM
> > Subject: [slim] alienstream - again
> >
> >
> >
> >>I have installed alienstream (I think correctly) on a linux box. It is
> >>not clear to me how to set up a playlist for it. I created a playlist
> >>folder called AlienStream and created a .pls file as the slimserver
> >>instructions tells you for the bbc world service. Slimserver seems to
> >>read the pls, but it wont play.
> >>
> >>I know this may not be the correct forum for this, but if anyone has
> >>this running properly Id appreciate some advice perhaps an example of
> >>a working stream.
> >>
> >>Thanks!
> >>Josh
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>---
> >>Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> >>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> >>Version: 6.0.707 / Virus Database: 463 - Release Date: 6/15/2004
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>

waldy
2004-06-30, 02:15
Hi Mark,

fyi Xine have released a new version of xine-lib that reports fixes on real
audio streams. I've just installed this on fedora2 with realaudio codecs v9
& for the couple of streams I've tried it works well. Adds a buffer loading
status as output as well which is an improvement on connecting ...

I'm using the 5.2 official release of slimserver.

regards

Waldy






"Mark Bennett" <mark (AT) markandliz (DOT) co.uk> wrote in
message news:40E1E175.6040007 (AT) markandliz (DOT) co.uk...
Hi Jules (or Peter if you're out there),

can you provide me some guidance on this?

I'm also using a RH9 setup, and I've installed all the software
needed, but I get similar symptoms to you reported here.

When I run Alienstream from the linux command prompt (following
Peter's instructions) I can get the radio playing, but it often
breaks up - I suspect network issues. I see the same thing using
the totem gui onto Xine-lib, so I'm not too worried about this
right now - small steps...

When I try to connect from the Squeezebox it just freezes (but
doesn't kill) SlimServer. Which SlimServer version have you
tested this on? (I'm currently on the official 5.2 release,
and haven't tried the more recent nightly yet.)

I'm desperate to get this going, and I think I'm getting really
close, but I need some pointers in the right direction - can
you help?

BTW, AlienBBC seems to work nicely (in terms of browsing the
BBC web pages), and would meet my needs very well, if only I
can get Alienstream working so I can actually listen to the
streams!

Thanks very much,
Mark.

Jules Taplin wrote:
> Hi Josh.
>
> I've just about got Alienstream running on my Linux Install (still not
> exactly stable... and although streams play... it says 'connecting...'
> forever.
>
> However... the playlist format I used was like this:
>
> [jules@store AlienStream]$ more Radio4.ram
> rtsp://rmlivev8.bbc.net.uk/farm/*/ev7/live24/radio4/live/r4_dsat_g2.ra
>
> (that is - a file called 'Radio4.ram', which contains the single line
above.
> I dragged that out of the source for the BBC Radio Player for the live
Radio
> 4 stream.
>
> For what it's worth... I don't know if AlienStream is being actively
> developed... but for my mind, the single greatest addition that could be
> made to SlimServer would be to be able to play all of the BBC content. To
> that end - I think I've cracked enough HTML parsing to browse and select
> streams from the BBC site that could be ported into a Plugin (in much the
> same fashion that the ShoutCast plugin works).
>
> However... I'm definately _NOT_ the man to make Alienstream itself work
> itself. I might manage to insert it into the existing Alienstream.pm
file -
> but I think it still needs some work before it's a production-quality
> option.
>
>
> -- Jules
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Joshua R. Smith" <jrs68 (AT) humboldt (DOT) edu>
> To: <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
> Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 9:11 PM
> Subject: [slim] alienstream - again
>
>
>
>>I have installed alienstream (I think correctly) on a linux box. It is
>>not clear to me how to set up a playlist for it. I created a playlist
>>folder called AlienStream and created a .pls file as the slimserver
>>instructions tells you for the bbc world service. Slimserver seems to
>>read the pls, but it wont play.
>>
>>I know this may not be the correct forum for this, but if anyone has
>>this running properly Id appreciate some advice perhaps an example of
>>a working stream.
>>
>>Thanks!
>>Josh
>>
>>
>>
>>---
>>Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
>>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
>>Version: 6.0.707 / Virus Database: 463 - Release Date: 6/15/2004
>>
>>
>>
>>

Mark Bennett
2004-06-30, 11:28
I made some good progress this morning in testing after some
suggestions from Jules.

I've now got AlienBBC working, and it seems to be reliable. I
was happily listening to the listen again recording of Mort
this morning, and I'm happily listening to "I'm sorry I
haven't a clue" at the moment.

However, for some reason, I can't get Alienstream itself to
work. If I try to open the Radio4 live stream it locks-up the
server. I haven't tried the other stations yet to see if it
is a setup problem of some sort.

I'm not sure what debug options I should use to try to track
this down - anyone with any ideas?

I can open this stream using Alienstream -> lame -> madplay
from the command line, just not in SlimServer.

Hopefully Jules' work on AlienBBC will move towards making
Alienstream redundant for me (since I only want to listen to
ShoutCast or BBC anyway)!

BTW, I'm using xine-lib-1-rc5, which was the latest when I
downloaded yesterday (or day before....)

waldy wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> fyi Xine have released a new version of xine-lib that reports fixes on real
> audio streams. I've just installed this on fedora2 with realaudio codecs v9
> & for the couple of streams I've tried it works well. Adds a buffer loading
> status as output as well which is an improvement on connecting ...
>
> I'm using the 5.2 official release of slimserver.
>
> regards
>
> Waldy

Jules Taplin
2004-06-30, 11:47
Mark - I've just stuck v0.3 of AlienBBC up for download (see my previous
post). Amongst the big things in there - I'm pretty sure Radio 4 live
streaming is working now. Well... it was working for me about half an hour
ago... so unless I've broken it again (not impossible), is should work for
you, too.

Basically... the 'live' streams don't follow the same naming convention as
the 'Listen Again' ones, and I'm down to increasingly voodoo techniques to
tell the difference.

-- Jules

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Bennett" <mark (AT) markandliz (DOT) co.uk>
To: "Slim Devices Discussion" <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 30, 2004 7:28 PM
Subject: [slim] alienstream - again


> I made some good progress this morning in testing after some
> suggestions from Jules.
>
> I've now got AlienBBC working, and it seems to be reliable. I
> was happily listening to the listen again recording of Mort
> this morning, and I'm happily listening to "I'm sorry I
> haven't a clue" at the moment.
>
> However, for some reason, I can't get Alienstream itself to
> work. If I try to open the Radio4 live stream it locks-up the
> server. I haven't tried the other stations yet to see if it
> is a setup problem of some sort.
>
> I'm not sure what debug options I should use to try to track
> this down - anyone with any ideas?
>
> I can open this stream using Alienstream -> lame -> madplay
> from the command line, just not in SlimServer.
>
> Hopefully Jules' work on AlienBBC will move towards making
> Alienstream redundant for me (since I only want to listen to
> ShoutCast or BBC anyway)!
>
> BTW, I'm using xine-lib-1-rc5, which was the latest when I
> downloaded yesterday (or day before....)
>
> waldy wrote:
> > Hi Mark,
> >
> > fyi Xine have released a new version of xine-lib that reports fixes on
real
> > audio streams. I've just installed this on fedora2 with realaudio
codecs v9
> > & for the couple of streams I've tried it works well. Adds a buffer
loading
> > status as output as well which is an improvement on connecting ...
> >
> > I'm using the 5.2 official release of slimserver.
> >
> > regards
> >
> > Waldy
>
>
>

slim@olilo.org
2004-06-30, 14:57
Waldy,

I am glad to hear that Alienstream is cooperating for you. I have been watching
this thread and other Alienstream threads with interest. I think I am ready to
tackle this project in order to get access to all of the NPR and PRI archives
that are stored in RealAudio. I still can't understand why public media is being
archived in a proprietary format....but I digress.

I too am running Fedora, and have had it up and running for a couple of months
now. I think I have a fairly good handle on the OS, but have stuck to mainly
installing things using rpms since this is my first *nix machine. Any pointers
you might have on getting started with this would be great. Also any links or
resources that you have used along the way would be of great interest.

Thanks in advance,

Tom



Quoting waldy <waldy.wiz (AT) ntlworld (DOT) com>:

> Hi Mark,
>
> fyi Xine have released a new version of xine-lib that reports fixes on real
> audio streams. I've just installed this on fedora2 with realaudio codecs
> v9 & for the couple of streams I've tried it works well. Adds a buffer
> loading status as output as well which is an improvement on connecting ...
>
> I'm using the 5.2 official release of slimserver.
>
> regards
>
> Waldy
>
>
>

waldy
2004-07-01, 03:59
Hi Tom,

I think currently its a case of 'can't beat them join them' for public
broadcasters like the BBC etc. I reckon there is a general distrust of mp3
in decision making circles which will be quite hard to crack & couple that
with heavy investment early on in realaudio. With all this content
available its well worth the effort to get this working, especially after
Jule's latest AlienBBC addition

I'm in a similar position to you. I started with redhat a couple of months
ago & just recently installed fedora, so I'm not exactly an expert.

The steps I went through to install this were:

1. Install xine-lib
2. Install xine-ui
3. Install realaudio8 + updated codect from realaudio9
4. Install alienstream
5. Integrate into slimserver


An excellent resource for finding rpm's are:

http://rpm.pbone.net/

step 1 & 2:

This will give you an rpm for rc5, no compilation necessary. Now,
depending on your installation of fedora there will be dependancies that you
need to install, plug these back into the link above. Once you've
installed all the dependancies & xine-lib install the front end xine-ui.
This is not needed however its good to find out wether xine can play your
streams whilst troubleshooting alienstream.

I had to compile this which wasn't too scary. Instructions for building are
found at

http://xinehq.de/index.php/faq#BUILDING

basically download the tarball (kind of unix zipfile I think)

as root issue the following commands

tar xfvz tarballname.tar.gz *should unpack it into your current
directory.

then change to the directory that the above has installed

../configure
make install

.... It taked quite a while to compile & link with lots of output.

If you have to compile xine-lib follow the above procedure followed by

ldconfig *This will put the new diectories in the library path.
(first make sure /usr/local/lib is in the file /etc/ld.so.conf)

Now step 3:

Realplayer 8 is available for linux/unix from

http://forms.real.com/real/player/unix/unix.html

Download the v9 codecs as well (don't think this lot works without them).

Install the rpm, you'll have to register on this page.
You'll have to place the rv9 codecs & the plugin file into the rp8
installation
Try running realplayer8 with a test stream. Make sure it loads & plays.

Now test xine. From a terminal session type xine. There advantage of
running the xine-ui frontend is that you can configure xine easily. If you
use the advanced or expert config mode you can see the current realaudio
codecs link that xine uses. If its not correct change it.
eg /usr/local/bin/RealPlay8/codecs (check this is correct, I don't have
access to it at the moment)

Now you're ready to test a real audio stream. Here's one for starters, my
fave music show on the bbc:
rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/radio3/andykershaw.ra?start=02:50

This should play if all is well. Shows you the buffering % then when 100%
starts to play (with the wind in the right direction) .

If you've got this far, congratulations, it took me a week or so to get
this far.

step 4: Compile the alienstream helper

Download the c: code from

http://www.dur.ac.uk/p.j.heslin/amusements/alienstream/version3/

to compile this I gave the following command:

gcc -Wall -O2 `xine-config --cflags`
`xine-config --libs` -lX11 -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib/xine -lm -o
alienstream alienstream.c

Adding a couple of libraries into the compilation path from Peter's
origional instructions.

Right, test this now.

which alienstream * should show you the path its installed in

Now see if alienstream will pick up your stream

Now see if alienstream will process the stream

/usr/local/bin/alienstream yourteststream.ram

This should give you buffering %. If you get to 100% all is well.

step 5:

Install the alienstream pluging, create a directory call AlienStream in
your saved playlist folder & put your teststream in there. Make sure
slimserver has rights to this

eg chown slimserver /var/local/media/saved
chmod 660 /var/local/media/saved


Restart slimserver & hey presto Alienstream should appear in the plugins
menu followed by any streams you have in the folder.

Hit play on your teststream. Xine via alienstream should give useful output
on xine-lib rc5. Initialy the streams mrl appears on slimp's display
followed by a buffering % level. When it gets to the high 90's you should
hear the stream.

Let us know how you get on & good luck

regards

Waldy

slim@olilo.org
2004-07-01, 15:24
Quoting waldy <waldy.wiz (AT) ntlworld (DOT) com>:
>
> step 4: Compile the alienstream helper
>
> Download the c: code from
>
> http://www.dur.ac.uk/p.j.heslin/amusements/alienstream/version3/
>
> to compile this I gave the following command:
>
> gcc -Wall -O2 `xine-config --cflags`
> `xine-config --libs` -lX11 -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib/xine -lm -o
> alienstream alienstream.c
>
> Adding a couple of libraries into the compilation path from Peter's
> origional instructions.
>

This is where I am hitting a problem. I went and got the newest gcc (3.4) to
compile the alienstream helper. When I enter the above command or the one listed
on p.j.heslin's site without the library references I get the following error
output:

[root@localhost alienfiles]# gcc34 -Wall -O2 `xine-config --cflags` `xine-config
--libs` -lX11 -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib/xine -lm -o alienstream
alienstream.c
bash: xine-config: command not found
bash: xine-config: command not found
alienstream.c:32:18: xine.h: No such file or directory
alienstream.c:33:28: xine/xineutils.h: No such file or directory
alienstream.c:35: error: syntax error before '*' token
alienstream.c:35: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `xine'
alienstream.c:35: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
alienstream.c:36: error: syntax error before '*' token
alienstream.c:36: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `stream'
alienstream.c:36: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
alienstream.c:37: error: syntax error before '*' token
alienstream.c:37: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `vo_port'
alienstream.c:37: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
alienstream.c:38: error: syntax error before '*' token
alienstream.c:38: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `ao_port'
alienstream.c:38: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
alienstream.c:39: error: syntax error before '*' token
alienstream.c:39: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `event_queue'
alienstream.c:39: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
alienstream.c:48: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `xine_event_t'
alienstream.c:48: error: syntax error before '*' token
alienstream.c: In function `event_listener':
alienstream.c:50: error: `xine_mrl_reference_data_t' undeclared (first use in
this function)
alienstream.c:50: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
alienstream.c:50: error: for each function it appears in.)
alienstream.c:50: error: `new_mrl' undeclared (first use in this function)
alienstream.c:52: error: `event' undeclared (first use in this function)
alienstream.c:54: error: `XINE_EVENT_UI_PLAYBACK_FINISHED' undeclared (first use
in this function)
alienstream.c:59: error: `XINE_EVENT_PROGRESS' undeclared (first use in this
function)
alienstream.c:61: error: `xine_progress_data_t' undeclared (first use in this
function)
alienstream.c:61: error: `pevent' undeclared (first use in this function)
alienstream.c:61: error: syntax error before ')' token
alienstream.c:66: error: `XINE_EVENT_MRL_REFERENCE' undeclared (first use in
this function)
alienstream.c:73: error: `XINE_EVENT_UI_MESSAGE' undeclared (first use in this
function)
alienstream.c:77: error: `XINE_EVENT_UI_SET_TITLE' undeclared (first use in this
function)
alienstream.c: In function `new_stream':
alienstream.c:86: warning: implicit declaration of function `xine_stream_new'
alienstream.c:86: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
alienstream.c:88: warning: implicit declaration of function `xine_event_new_queue'
alienstream.c:88: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
alienstream.c:89: warning: implicit declaration of function
`xine_event_create_listener_thread'
alienstream.c:92: warning: implicit declaration of function `xine_open'
alienstream.c:92: warning: implicit declaration of function `xine_play'
alienstream.c:95: warning: implicit declaration of function `exit'
alienstream.c: In function `main':
alienstream.c:122: warning: implicit declaration of function `xine_new'
alienstream.c:122: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
alienstream.c:123: warning: implicit declaration of function `xine_init'
alienstream.c:126: warning: implicit declaration of function
`xine_open_video_driver'
alienstream.c:126: error: `XINE_VISUAL_TYPE_NONE' undeclared (first use in this
function)
alienstream.c:126: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
alienstream.c:127: warning: implicit declaration of function
`xine_open_audio_driver'
alienstream.c:127: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a cast
alienstream.c:134: warning: implicit declaration of function `sleep'
alienstream.c:138: warning: implicit declaration of function `xine_close'
alienstream.c:139: warning: implicit declaration of function
`xine_event_dispose_queue'
alienstream.c:140: warning: implicit declaration of function `xine_dispose'
alienstream.c:141: warning: implicit declaration of function
`xine_close_audio_driver'
alienstream.c:142: warning: implicit declaration of function
`xine_close_video_driver'
alienstream.c:143: warning: implicit declaration of function `xine_exit'

Like I said in my previous post, I have stuck mainly to rpm installs since
making the switch to Fedora, so if I am overlooking something simple please bear
with me. I feel like I have made quite a bit of progress today thanks entirely
to waldy's guidance. I currently have xine installed and happily playing
realaudio content. Now it is just a matter of getting alienstream compiled and
feeding into my slims.

Once I get this working, I plan document my procedure and post it here for the
masses.

Thanks advnace for any help you may have.

Tom

Jules Taplin
2004-07-01, 16:16
Aha!

An easy one (or... at least... one I've already run into). Basically... you
don't just need the xine-lib RPM, you also need the 'xine-lib-devel' package
if you intend to build code based on the library (as we do).


-- Jules

----- Original Message -----
From: <slim (AT) olilo (DOT) org>
To: "Slim Devices Discussion" <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 11:24 PM
Subject: [slim] Alienstream Compiling Problem


> Quoting waldy <waldy.wiz (AT) ntlworld (DOT) com>:
> >
> > step 4: Compile the alienstream helper
> >
> > Download the c: code from
> >
> > http://www.dur.ac.uk/p.j.heslin/amusements/alienstream/version3/
> >
> > to compile this I gave the following command:
> >
> > gcc -Wall -O2 `xine-config --cflags`
> > `xine-config --libs` -lX11 -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib/xine -lm -o
> > alienstream alienstream.c
> >
> > Adding a couple of libraries into the compilation path from Peter's
> > origional instructions.
> >
>
> This is where I am hitting a problem. I went and got the newest gcc (3.4)
to
> compile the alienstream helper. When I enter the above command or the one
listed
> on p.j.heslin's site without the library references I get the following
error
> output:
>
> [root@localhost alienfiles]# gcc34 -Wall -O2 `xine-config --cflags`
`xine-config
> --libs` -lX11 -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib/xine -lm -o alienstream
> alienstream.c
> bash: xine-config: command not found
> bash: xine-config: command not found
> alienstream.c:32:18: xine.h: No such file or directory
> alienstream.c:33:28: xine/xineutils.h: No such file or directory
> alienstream.c:35: error: syntax error before '*' token
> alienstream.c:35: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `xine'
> alienstream.c:35: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
> alienstream.c:36: error: syntax error before '*' token
> alienstream.c:36: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of
`stream'
> alienstream.c:36: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
> alienstream.c:37: error: syntax error before '*' token
> alienstream.c:37: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of
`vo_port'
> alienstream.c:37: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
> alienstream.c:38: error: syntax error before '*' token
> alienstream.c:38: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of
`ao_port'
> alienstream.c:38: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
> alienstream.c:39: error: syntax error before '*' token
> alienstream.c:39: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of
`event_queue'
> alienstream.c:39: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
> alienstream.c:48: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of
`xine_event_t'
> alienstream.c:48: error: syntax error before '*' token
> alienstream.c: In function `event_listener':
> alienstream.c:50: error: `xine_mrl_reference_data_t' undeclared (first use
in
> this function)
> alienstream.c:50: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> alienstream.c:50: error: for each function it appears in.)
> alienstream.c:50: error: `new_mrl' undeclared (first use in this function)
> alienstream.c:52: error: `event' undeclared (first use in this function)
> alienstream.c:54: error: `XINE_EVENT_UI_PLAYBACK_FINISHED' undeclared
(first use
> in this function)
> alienstream.c:59: error: `XINE_EVENT_PROGRESS' undeclared (first use in
this
> function)
> alienstream.c:61: error: `xine_progress_data_t' undeclared (first use in
this
> function)
> alienstream.c:61: error: `pevent' undeclared (first use in this function)
> alienstream.c:61: error: syntax error before ')' token
> alienstream.c:66: error: `XINE_EVENT_MRL_REFERENCE' undeclared (first use
in
> this function)
> alienstream.c:73: error: `XINE_EVENT_UI_MESSAGE' undeclared (first use in
this
> function)
> alienstream.c:77: error: `XINE_EVENT_UI_SET_TITLE' undeclared (first use
in this
> function)
> alienstream.c: In function `new_stream':
> alienstream.c:86: warning: implicit declaration of function
`xine_stream_new'
> alienstream.c:86: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a
cast
> alienstream.c:88: warning: implicit declaration of function
`xine_event_new_queue'
> alienstream.c:88: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a
cast
> alienstream.c:89: warning: implicit declaration of function
> `xine_event_create_listener_thread'
> alienstream.c:92: warning: implicit declaration of function `xine_open'
> alienstream.c:92: warning: implicit declaration of function `xine_play'
> alienstream.c:95: warning: implicit declaration of function `exit'
> alienstream.c: In function `main':
> alienstream.c:122: warning: implicit declaration of function `xine_new'
> alienstream.c:122: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without
a cast
> alienstream.c:123: warning: implicit declaration of function `xine_init'
> alienstream.c:126: warning: implicit declaration of function
> `xine_open_video_driver'
> alienstream.c:126: error: `XINE_VISUAL_TYPE_NONE' undeclared (first use in
this
> function)
> alienstream.c:126: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without
a cast
> alienstream.c:127: warning: implicit declaration of function
> `xine_open_audio_driver'
> alienstream.c:127: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without
a cast
> alienstream.c:134: warning: implicit declaration of function `sleep'
> alienstream.c:138: warning: implicit declaration of function `xine_close'
> alienstream.c:139: warning: implicit declaration of function
> `xine_event_dispose_queue'
> alienstream.c:140: warning: implicit declaration of function
`xine_dispose'
> alienstream.c:141: warning: implicit declaration of function
> `xine_close_audio_driver'
> alienstream.c:142: warning: implicit declaration of function
> `xine_close_video_driver'
> alienstream.c:143: warning: implicit declaration of function `xine_exit'
>
> Like I said in my previous post, I have stuck mainly to rpm installs since
> making the switch to Fedora, so if I am overlooking something simple
please bear
> with me. I feel like I have made quite a bit of progress today thanks
entirely
> to waldy's guidance. I currently have xine installed and happily playing
> realaudio content. Now it is just a matter of getting alienstream compiled
and
> feeding into my slims.
>
> Once I get this working, I plan document my procedure and post it here for
the
> masses.
>
> Thanks advnace for any help you may have.
>
> Tom
>

slim@olilo.org
2004-07-01, 18:23
Thanks Jules,

That was a major help, and things seem to be working better. But, now I get a
new error when trying to compile alienstream.c that I am hoping that you already
ran into as well:

[root@localhost]# gcc34 -Wall -O2 `xine-config --cflags` `xine-config --libs`
-lX11 -lm -o alienstream alienstream.c

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Any ideas?

Tom


Quoting Jules Taplin <slim-discuss (AT) ourhouse (DOT) org.uk>:

> Aha!
>
> An easy one (or... at least... one I've already run into). Basically... you
> don't just need the xine-lib RPM, you also need the 'xine-lib-devel'
> package if you intend to build code based on the library (as we do).
>
>
> -- Jules
>
> > This is where I am hitting a problem. I went and got the newest gcc (3.4)
> > to compile the alienstream helper. I get the following error output:
> >
> > [root@localhost]# gcc34 -Wall -O2 `xine-config --cflags` `xine-config
> > --libs` -lX11 -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib/xine -lm -o alienstream
> > alienstream.c
> > bash: xine-config: command not found
> > bash: xine-config: command not found

Daniel Rich
2004-07-01, 21:08
On Jul 1, 2004, at 6:23 PM, slim (AT) olilo (DOT) org wrote:

> Thanks Jules,
>
> That was a major help, and things seem to be working better. But, now
> I get a
> new error when trying to compile alienstream.c that I am hoping that
> you already
> ran into as well:
>
> [root@localhost]# gcc34 -Wall -O2 `xine-config --cflags` `xine-config
> --libs`
> -lX11 -lm -o alienstream alienstream.c
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> Any ideas?

Make sure you have both the zlib and zlib-devel RPMs installed.

FYI, here's a good source for the xine rpms. They are daily builds
from CVS, so may not always work -- but I've had good luck with them
over the past few years.
http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/

> Quoting Jules Taplin <slim-discuss (AT) ourhouse (DOT) org.uk>:
>
>> Aha!
>>
>> An easy one (or... at least... one I've already run into).
>> Basically... you
>> don't just need the xine-lib RPM, you also need the 'xine-lib-devel'
>> package if you intend to build code based on the library (as we do).
>>
>>
>> -- Jules
>>
>>> This is where I am hitting a problem. I went and got the newest gcc
>>> (3.4)
>>> to compile the alienstream helper. I get the following error output:
>>>
>>> [root@localhost]# gcc34 -Wall -O2 `xine-config --cflags` `xine-config
>>> --libs` -lX11 -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib/xine -lm -o
>>> alienstream
>>> alienstream.c
>>> bash: xine-config: command not found
>>> bash: xine-config: command not found
>
>

slim@olilo.org
2004-07-02, 05:30
Quoting Daniel Rich <drich (AT) employees (DOT) org>:


> Make sure you have both the zlib and zlib-devel RPMs installed.
>
> FYI, here's a good source for the xine rpms. They are daily builds
> from CVS, so may not always work -- but I've had good luck with them
> over the past few years.
> http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/
>
>

Installed zlib and zlib-devel and the seems to have cleared that error, but now
I get a new error output when trying to compile alienstream.c:

[root@localhost]# gcc34 -Wall -O2 `xine-config --cflags` `xine-config --libs`
-lX11 -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib/xine -lm -o alienstream alienstream.c

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXv
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I feel as though I am getting close on this. I think if I can get this working,
then most can, which would go along way to making alienstream not just a fringe
application in the slimserver community.

Thank,

Tom

Daniel Rich
2004-07-02, 11:01
On Jul 2, 2004, at 5:30 AM, slim (AT) olilo (DOT) org wrote:

> Quoting Daniel Rich <drich (AT) employees (DOT) org>:
>
>
>> Make sure you have both the zlib and zlib-devel RPMs installed.
>>
>> FYI, here's a good source for the xine rpms. They are daily builds
>> from CVS, so may not always work -- but I've had good luck with them
>> over the past few years.
>> http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/
>>
>>
>
> Installed zlib and zlib-devel and the seems to have cleared that
> error, but now
> I get a new error output when trying to compile alienstream.c:
>
> [root@localhost]# gcc34 -Wall -O2 `xine-config --cflags` `xine-config
> --libs`
> -lX11 -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/local/lib/xine -lm -o alienstream
> alienstream.c
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXv
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

It looks like that one comes from XFree86-devel. Ah, don't you love
RedHat package dependencies? :)

> I feel as though I am getting close on this. I think if I can get this
> working,
> then most can, which would go along way to making alienstream not just
> a fringe
> application in the slimserver community.
>
> Thank,
>
> Tom
>
>
>

slim@olilo.org
2004-07-02, 12:22
Quoting Daniel Rich <drich (AT) employees (DOT) org>:

> >
> > /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXv
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> It looks like that one comes from XFree86-devel. Ah, don't you love
> RedHat package dependencies? :)
>
That's what I determined too, but the thing is that XFree86-devel package is
already installed. When I went to install it I am was it is already installed.
So I forced and updated install of the package but am still seeing the same
error when compiling.

Sorry to turn this into a linux discussion. I think I am about at the point of
walking away from this for a little while and enjoy the long weekend.

If anyone has a good idea of how to fix and/or work around an unlocateable
package in fedora/redhat let me know, otherwise I am going to put my head back
down and resume lurking.

Tom

Daniel Rich
2004-07-02, 14:26
On Jul 2, 2004, at 12:22 PM, slim (AT) olilo (DOT) org wrote:

> Quoting Daniel Rich <drich (AT) employees (DOT) org>:
>
>>>
>>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXv
>>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>
>> It looks like that one comes from XFree86-devel. Ah, don't you love
>> RedHat package dependencies? :)
>>
> That's what I determined too, but the thing is that XFree86-devel
> package is
> already installed. When I went to install it I am was it is already
> installed.
> So I forced and updated install of the package but am still seeing the
> same
> error when compiling.
>
> Sorry to turn this into a linux discussion. I think I am about at the
> point of
> walking away from this for a little while and enjoy the long weekend.
>
> If anyone has a good idea of how to fix and/or work around an
> unlocateable
> package in fedora/redhat let me know, otherwise I am going to put my
> head back
> down and resume lurking.

Can you post your gcc command line again? It's possible you just don't
have the X11 library path in your default compile path.

You can also try this:
+ Find libXv on your system -- "locate libXv" (it should be in
/usr/X11R6/lib)
+ Add that location to /etc/ld.so.conf (installing the devel package
should have done this for you)
+ Run "ldconfig" as root to reconfigure your library search path
+ Try the compile again

Or, you can add -L /usr/X11R6/lib to your compile command -- but if you
don't do the rest of the steps above it might not be able to find the
library when alienstream runs.

--
Dan Rich <drich (AT) employees (DOT) org> | http://www.employees.org/~drich/
| "Step up to red alert!" "Are you
sure, sir?
| It means changing the bulb in the
sign..."
| - Red Dwarf (BBC)

slim@olilo.org
2004-07-03, 06:02
Quoting Daniel Rich <drich (AT) employees (DOT) org>:


> Can you post your gcc command line again? It's possible you just don't
> have the X11 library path in your default compile path.
>
> You can also try this:
> + Find libXv on your system -- "locate libXv" (it should be in
> /usr/X11R6/lib)

Correct, it's in gives:

[root@localhost]# locate libXv
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXv.so.1
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXv.so.1.0

> + Add that location to /etc/ld.so.conf (installing the devel package
> should have done this for you)

It was already in there as you expected.


> + Run "ldconfig" as root to reconfigure your library search path

Ran the command, not much happened just returned the command prompt after a few
seconds.

> + Try the compile again
>
> Or, you can add -L /usr/X11R6/lib to your compile command -- but if you
> don't do the rest of the steps above it might not be able to find the
> library when alienstream runs.
>
Run the compile command:

[root@localhost]# gcc34 -Wall -O2 `xine-config --cflags` `xine-config --libs`
-lX11 -L /usr/X11R6/lib -L /usr/local/lib -L /usr/local/lib/xine -lm -o
alienstream alienstream.c

Still returns the following error:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXv
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Niek Jongerius
2004-07-03, 06:38
> Correct, it's in gives:
>
> [root@localhost]# locate libXv
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXv.so.1
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXv.so.1.0

If your compiler/linker complains about missing "-lXv", it says it
wants a file called "libXv.a". The files you mention are like dynamic
link DLL's. The "libXv.a" should be in XFree-devel. The following
command should not return an error (but just state the full RPM name
including the version number):

rpm -q XFree86-devel

The following command should return the location of the libXv.a file:

rpm -ql XFree86-devel | grep libXv.a

Regards, Niek.