PDA

View Full Version : Any color you want, as long as it's black?

gsawdy
2009-09-04, 07:36
Is black the only option? The wall mount is really nice, if a bit expensive at $50. Easy wall mounting might increase the desire for white, silver, etc.

funkstar
2009-09-04, 08:47
Only black has been discussed so far.

I would guess that it all depends on demand and the market. I agree though, white and silver would be good for installations.

iPhone
2009-09-04, 15:15
Only black has been discussed so far.

I would guess that it all depends on demand and the market. I agree though, white and silver would be good for installations.

For units and/or wall mounts? If Black is the only unit color, a black wall mount does kind of make sense so it all just blends. With the limited amount of wall mounts that will probably be sold, I would be willing to bet that even if the Touch comes out in other colors, black will be the only color for the wall mount. Could be wrong and hope I am.

Of course there is always the new Krylon Paint for plastic products (and it works great so far on what I have used it on, bonds well).

peterw
2009-09-04, 16:06
What would be colored? The lens that makes up the top 2/3 of the unit hides IR sensors & transmitters (for proximity sensing) and a light sensor for the automatic dimming, so I think that needs to be dark. Would you really want the lower third to be a different color?

GeeJay
2009-09-04, 19:14
My fave SB3 is the one with the stainless front. I was sorry to see them do away with it when they rebranded it the "Classic".

autopilot
2009-09-05, 02:25
My fave SB3 is the one with the stainless front. I was sorry to see them do away with it when they rebranded it the "Classic".

Mine too, looks way better with the silver bezel. Actually i have a spare silver SB3 "Slim Devices" bezel, must get around to selling that one day. I'm not sure if the touch would like right or not, maybe someone with Photoshop skill's could mock one up.

One thing i will say about the Touch is, like humans, some gadgets are more/less photogenic, and I don't think the Touch is very photogenic - it looks MUCH better in the flesh than it does in the photos i have seen (in much the same way the SB3 does).

pippin
2009-09-05, 03:40
For units and/or wall mounts? If Black is the only unit color, a black wall mount does kind of make sense so it all just blends. With the limited amount of wall mounts that will probably be sold, I would be willing to bet that even if the Touch comes out in other colors, black will be the only color for the wall mount. Could be wrong and hope I am.

Of course there is always the new Krylon Paint for plastic products (and it works great so far on what I have used it on, bonds well).

I painted (sprayed) my wall mount in white, which worked out very well.
Yet later I found out that I had no chance of actually using it because there was no chance to get a 5" hole into the brick wall...

gsawdy
2009-09-05, 11:35
Well it seems to me on the wall one would idealy want it to be the same color as the switches, plugs, etc. I realize the screen will be dark when off but if there is a clock function or night-day world clock as mentioned elsewhere then it would be more like a picture or clock.

Painting it....not just the bracket but also the Touch....that might be a great solution. There are spray paints now for plastics. Has anyone tried this on an SB3?

geo

iPhone
2009-09-08, 19:55
Well it seems to me on the wall one would idealy want it to be the same color as the switches, plugs, etc. I realize the screen will be dark when off but if there is a clock function or night-day world clock as mentioned elsewhere then it would be more like a picture or clock.

Painting it....not just the bracket but also the Touch....that might be a great solution. There are spray paints now for plastics. Has anyone tried this on an SB3?

geo

Ok, maybe, but I don't really follow this. The Touch is Black and the mount is Black. The mount is bigger then the Touch and has a one piece look when mounted together. So the Black blends with the black, and looks fairly smart in my opinion. This isn't a wall switch and the Touch isn't ivory or white. Most people don't color their wall plates to match the wall, they choose Ivory or White (or stainless) most of which don't match the wall. The Touch wall mount with the Touch look clean and neat when installed (again my opinion).

I actually don't want it to completely blend, I want it to be noticed, while looking like it belongs mounted and professional. Trying to get a clean crisp line with paint on the flat part might be hard and I would think if one painted the whole exposed parts of the mount that it would really look odd with the Black Touch attached to this bump on the wall the same color of the wall. IOW, my thinking is that it looks proper mounted on the matching beauty ring. YMMV.

fillmore
2009-09-12, 11:20
I painted (sprayed) my wall mount in white, which worked out very well.
Yet later I found out that I had no chance of actually using it because there was no chance to get a 5" hole into the brick wall...
use a diamond blade grinder and split the distance between two bricks on either side of the mortar line.