PDA

View Full Version : Headphone jack on Touch

pichonCalavera
2009-09-03, 22:03
According to the specs, the Touch has a headphone jack, does anyone know if this will be the same low sound quality headphone jack as the SB3 Classic?

Will it support plugins like IR Blaster? ( for sending IR signals to another device )

iPhone
2009-09-03, 22:31
According to the specs, the Touch has a headphone jack, does anyone know if this will be the same low sound quality headphone jack as the SB3 Classic?

Will it support plugins like IR Blaster? ( for sending IR signals to another device )

Are you asking if the actual jack is the same or is this more about the op amp that drives the headphone jack output in the Touch?

I have always found it best to use the analog RCA outs with a good headphone amp over just about any source products headphone output if one is really looking for above just normal headphone listening.

If one just has to use the headphone jack, then the little Headroom Total Airhead can help make the listening more enjoyable.

I have probably listened using headphones for about 15 hours total with the Touch and don't have anything negative to say. Of course this was casual listening with my Grado SR80i cans.

pichonCalavera
2009-09-03, 23:24
Are you asking if the actual jack is the same or is this more about the op amp that drives the headphone jack output in the Touch?

I have always found it best to use the analog RCA outs with a good headphone amp over just about any source products headphone output if one is really looking for above just normal headphone listening.

If one just has to use the headphone jack, then the little Headroom Total Airhead can help make the listening more enjoyable.

I have probably listened using headphones for about 15 hours total with the Touch and don't have anything negative to say. Of course this was casual listening with my Grado SR80i cans.

I was thinking more along the lines of the op amp.

But you are right, is better to connect to an external headphone amp (I myself connect my preamp to the SB3 and this has a headphone out that is good enough for my senns HD595), I was asking just for curiosity.

For me the interesting part would be if it supports sending IR signals, since right now I control the volume of my preamp this way, using the IR Blaster plugin.

JohnSwenson
2009-09-04, 00:06
I've done a lot of headphone listening with the touch. The builtin jack is not bad. A good headphone amp is better, but not not by a whole lot.

The touch IS designed for an IR blaster, but I don't think the plugin has been written yet. Last I heard it was on the list of things to get done and wasn't that difficult to do.

John S.

Soulkeeper
2010-11-26, 09:17
Today I've listened to the Touch for some hours, using a pair of Sennheiser HD 600, directly from the headphone jack.
Earlier I used the headphone out of the SB Radio.
The Touch's headphone out is way better. (But I'm still waiting for a Grado amp to connect to the analog RCAs of the Touch. Hoping for yet another lift in sound quality, if it's equally great as that between the Radio's jack and the Touch's jack, I'm in for a treat.)

langmad
2011-09-11, 12:39
Hi,
I am concidering buying a Fiio E11 headphone amp to use with my Touch. Would I get a better sound quality if I bought a RCA to 3.5mm jack cable to connect the Touch to the amp?
Many thanks

maggior
2011-09-12, 07:21
It certainly won't sound any worse :-).

I own an E11 amp and I'm really happy with it. It is very quiet and has some good oomph to it. The headphone out on the SB3 was noisy which I know from experience. I never tried the headphone out on the Touch, but I suspect it won't be as quiet as the E11.

What headphones do you have? If they are high impedence, you would definitely benefit from an outboard amp.

FiiO does have a desktop amp in their lineup (E9) which may be better suited to your setup. The E11 is nice sounding, but the one thing I don't like is the volume control is stiff and requires you to hold the amp with one had as you turn the volume knob with the other. This isn't too much of a problem in a portable application, but it is really annoying in a home setup. You wouldn't have this issue with the desktop amp.

Soulkeeper
2011-09-12, 09:24
I never tried the headphone out on the Touch, but I suspect it won't be as quiet as the E11.

Noise isn't a problem with the Touch's headphone output IME. But compared to the Grado, the headphone out on the Touch is anemic and fatiguing, which makes sense as it's probably not designed to drive current-hungry cans.

Would I get a better sound quality if I bought a RCA to 3.5mm jack cable to connect the Touch to the amp?

The signal from the Touch's RCA outputs is better than the signal from the headphone output, if that's what you're asking. So the answer to your question is probably "yes". :)