PDA

View Full Version : LCD screen & analog vu-meter ?

epoch1970
2009-09-03, 13:59
I read the Touch has an LCD screen.
Can I expect it to be able to display twin analogue VU meters as I am used to on the SB3 ?
I hate to admit that, but the VU-meter screensaver is a "killer app" for me :)

In general and size aside, how does this new screen compare to the one on the Controller ?

iPhone
2009-09-03, 14:27
I read the Touch has an LCD screen.
Can I expect it to be able to display twin analogue VU meters as I am used to on the SB3 ?

In general and size aside, how does this new screen compare to the one on the Controller ?

Size aside, Bigger! I think its kind of unfair to compare them. The size makes way to much difference. More of an increase in detail just because there is more area to make things larger. Is there something specific that you are wanting to know?

androidtopp
2009-09-03, 14:33

I agree with Epoch - that analog VU is just awesome. I get more "what is that?" questions when that thing kicks off - most people think my SB3 is just a fancy clock until the VU shows up, and then everyone is fascinated. I'd be disappointed if I had to give up that sweet visual.

epoch1970
2009-09-03, 14:47
Size aside, Bigger! ... Is there something specific that you are wanting to know?
I'd like to hear there is improvement on viewing angles, that the screen doesn't suffer from ghost images (screensaver clock staying imprinted) and less importantly improved color rendition (Controller is just too vivid IMHO)

I suppose cover art is fine.

maggior
2009-09-03, 18:27
Perhaps I'm old school, but I think the product will be really missing something if plugins like the analog VU meter and the weather-date-time are not ported to the new screen. I also get the "what's that!" comments about them.

I understand that it will be no small task to port perl code for the display on the SB3 to Lua code on a color display! However, I think it should be made a priority. Perhaps I'm skeptical, but I have a strong feeling that these will be going by the wayside. I'd be happy to be proven wrong :-).

I'm sad to see the SB3 fade away :-(. At least I have my 2 Slim Devices brnaded ones.

I hope the new software on the new hardware is rock solid, because it has large shoes to fill regarding it's SB3 predecessor.

lrossouw
2009-09-03, 18:57
+1 vote for an analog VU meter. :D

Touch looks great! Will def. get one.

Pikeharmony
2009-09-03, 19:06
Funny VU meter has been my favorite since I first seen it.
First screensaver I started looking for.

Maybe we should make a poll?

You got my vote!

rtitmuss
2009-09-04, 00:40
Adding the visualizers, including the vu meter is already on my to do list. No need to vote!

Richard

erland
2009-09-04, 10:01
Adding the visualizers, including the vu meter is already on my to do list. No need to vote!

Richard

If possible, try to make the visualizer data available to third party applets so third party developers can design their own visualizers.

rtitmuss
2009-09-04, 10:07
If possible, try to make the visualizer data available to third party applets so third party developers can design their own visualizers.

Yes. Ideally the rendering will be in lua, so third party visualizers will be possible. But I'll need to test the performance before I can commit to that.

Richard

USAudio
2009-09-15, 13:37
The styles of VU meters they could render really opens up with the color screen.
It could be the old traditional style of a white background, black lettering and red for 0+.
Or it could be lit in a nice amber color, etc. ... the options are endless! ;-)

Keymaster
2009-09-15, 13:56
...or McIntosh style with blue backlight...:)

iPhone
2009-09-15, 14:44
...or McIntosh style with blue backlight...:)

Or Logitech Teal..... ;=}

USAudio
2009-09-16, 11:21
So do we know for sure the Touch doesn't have an updated VU meter screensaver already?
Any beta testers have any feedback here?

funkstar
2009-09-16, 11:36
There is an experimental VU overlay berried in a test menu, not pretty and not analogue. It was added ages ago along with a few other UI experiments that escape me right now (away from my unit so can't check)

Keymaster
2009-09-16, 16:30
Or Logitech Teal..... ;=}

Well played, sir. :)

There is an experimental VU overlay berried in a test menu, not pretty and not analogue.

I saw that and tried it out. It will change, I'm sure [long live analog VU meters!!] :).

iPhone
2009-09-16, 19:27
Well played, sir. :)

I saw that and tried it out. It will change, I'm sure [long live analog VU meters!!] :).

As the saying goes, "It was he that inspired me!" Still don't know why that's not 'Him' but I still don't know when to use who & whom. Anyway, I digress.

Without your post about McIntosh Blue, I would never have thought of Logitech Teal, kudos to you sir..... ;=}

Buy hey, just about anything is possible now that we have color Touch screen. I still can't decide what Wallpaper to use and change it regularly because some of the digital color pictures are so awesome.