PDA

View Full Version : Reciva network?

Gorden
2009-09-03, 12:55
Will the Squeezebox Radio be using the Reciva network? This will be a major deciding factor for me as I would like to listen to BBC radio without having to connect to SqueezeCenter. Thanks.

Paul Webster
2009-09-03, 12:59
Logitech does not use the Reciva system.

Being able to navigate the BBC Listen Again content via SqueezeNetwork would be useful.

funkstar
2009-09-03, 13:40
Triode and other have put a lot of work into getting the iPlayer streams working on SqueezeCenter.

There has been talk of getting the relevant parts of this functionality included in SqueezeNetwork and the players firmware.

I think it will happen, it just won't be straight away. It will be a killer feature when it does happen though.

vinnielo
2009-09-04, 05:58
There's also been talk of the BBC local stations streaming in Windows Media format, which could mean the end of the need for RealAudio altogether.

bpa
2009-09-04, 06:42
BBC have said they will be moving Local stations over to Flash/AAC in Sept. Once that is done there is no need for RealAudio but for older products SB3, Boom and Transporter - transcoding will still be necessary but it will be using SC supplied app. No need for a 3rd party app such as mplayer.

Paul Webster
2009-09-04, 08:01
The switch has already started (I'm in debate with them by email as well).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2009/08/improvements_to_bbc_local_radi.html

Triode
2009-09-04, 10:56
The switch has already started (I'm in debate with them by email as well).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2009/08/improvements_to_bbc_local_radi.html

Yes the listen again mp3 streams announced by this post are already part of iplayer 0.9a. As soon as local radio live streams are available we can add them to the iplayer plugin.

Paul Webster
2009-09-04, 14:26
They have already, perhaps mistakenly, turned off the RealAudio Listen Again feeds for the On Demand stuff for BBC local radio.

bpa
2009-09-04, 14:42
The BBC seem to have a different speed policy for Local stations - for national stream the Listen Again is available in two speeds typically 128k/48k for UK/Non UK respectively.

For Local radio the Listen Again programs in Flash/AAC is (I think) 80kbps for both UK and non UK listeners.

The "use lower bandwidth" option on a programme which used to be RealAudio - just shows as not available.

Paul Webster
2009-09-05, 00:46
The "use lower bandwidth" option on a programme which used to be RealAudio - just shows as not available.
I have had acknowledgement from them that this was a mistake.
They turned off the RealAudio (used for the lower bandwidth) before they had made the WMA version available.
However, I don't have a fix date from them yet.

bpa
2009-09-05, 01:23
They turned off the RealAudio (used for the lower bandwidth) before they had made the WMA version available.

Can you confirm that you are playing WMA and not AAC ?