PDA

View Full Version : Stereo speaker add-on

SuperQ
2009-09-03, 10:32
The new Radio looks great.. but it looks like it is just a mono speaker. It would be great to have a matching add-on speaker that would let you make it stereo. This would also be nice because it would provide better stereo separation compared to the Boom.

Matt Wise
2009-09-03, 11:29
Kind of defeats the purpose of a "cheaper" player... get a Boom if you want great stereo sound.

SuperQ
2009-09-03, 11:35
The Boom doesn't have a color screen or good stereo separation.

JJZolx
2009-09-03, 11:36
Attach a powered speaker to the headphone jack.

iPhone
2009-09-03, 12:15
Attach a powered speaker to the headphone jack.

Think we have to ask Caleb, but wouldn't that just add a second speaker. What I am saying is there would be no way to then have true stereo and take advantage of the speaker separation. Caleb would know, but I would think one would have to add stereo speakers to the headphone jack and disable the Radio speaker to get true stereo.

Might as well use a Boom or if one wants real stereo separation then SB3 or Touch feeding self powered speakers or stereo equipment.

ccrome2
2009-09-03, 21:45
Think we have to ask Caleb, but wouldn't that just add a second speaker. What I am saying is there would be no way to then have true stereo and take advantage of the speaker separation. Caleb would know, but I would think one would have to add stereo speakers to the headphone jack and disable the Radio speaker to get true stereo.

Might as well use a Boom or if one wants real stereo separation then SB3 or Touch feeding self powered speakers or stereo equipment.

Right, the point of this product is to have a less expensive, all-in-one devices that sounds great and fits anywhere in your house. It does not have good stereo separation -- it's mono! :-)

The hardware is not capable of both playing out the bi-amplified (software crossed-over), speakers, and outputting a separate signal on the headphone jack for a separate speaker. It was never intended for that.

If you want good separation, simply get a Touch or Receiver, and use your own speakers.

-Caleb

Keymaster
2009-09-04, 08:13
If you want good separation, simply get a Touch or Receiver, and use your own speakers.
-Caleb

...or a Transporter ;)

morris_minor
2009-09-04, 08:34
Is the signal going to the headphone jack stereo? Does inserting a jack mute the speaker?

If so could you not run a pair of powered speakers off the Radio (if you were daft enough to want to, rather than buy a Boom in the first place, that is . . )?

fuzzyT
2009-09-04, 09:42
Let me come at this another way by asking whether the same options are available for the Radio's headphone/line out as they are for the Boom's headphone/line out.

If the options were the same as they are on the Boom, this would give you some leeway in configuring the Radio for use with external speakers. For instance, some folks might want a Boom-like setup, but with the touchscreen. Or they might want a small system with better stereo separation. Such a person might consider using a Radio and small powered speakers to get there.

Just having the Boom's complement of output options wouldn't allow for the addition of one powered speaker playing one channel of the stereo pair while the Radio's internal speaker played the other. But it would allow some flexibility in running a pair of external speakers, with the Radio's internal speaker also on (or not), and with the external speaker's volume controlled by the Radio's volume controls (or not). Could be useful.

Not expecting a 'yes', but I'll go ahead and ask - Is the Sub out function present on the Radio?

Keymaster
2009-09-04, 09:48
...some folks might want a Boom-like setup, but with the touchscreen...

Touchscreen is only on the SB Touch. SB Radio has a color screen, but it is not touch enabled.

seanadams
2009-09-04, 11:37
What's the point? And where would you find a matching speaker?

It's not the same as adding a sub. If you're going to do stereo your left and right channels have to at least be matched in level and frequency response. I'm not talking about some far out audiophile requirements here, I'm saying it'll sound like absolute garbage if you don't.

fuzzyT
2009-09-04, 12:38
Well, the OP did ask about a 'matching' stereo speaker.

It's not /too/ much of a stretch to imagine that Logitech might market such a thing as an accessory to the Radio.

It's not unheard of in the Table Radio sector; the Tivoli Model Two was basically the Model One bundled with a matching speaker for stereo. My memory may be failing me here, but I thought I recalled at one time seeing that 2nd speaker being sold separately.

I'm not saying it's a great idea. The accessory speaker would probably be a marginal seller. But for folks that are trying to decide between the Boom and Radio models, or are attracted to the color screen, or want more stereo separation, or who might want an expansion path for their Radio, I can see where this might be an attractive idea.

And, hey, if we know one thing, it's that Squeezebox customers are creative.

seanadams
2009-09-04, 14:02
Well, the OP did ask about a 'matching' stereo speaker.

Ah, fair enough.

ccrome2
2009-09-04, 18:04
Is the signal going to the headphone jack stereo? Does inserting a jack mute the speaker?

If so could you not run a pair of powered speakers off the Radio (if you were daft enough to want to, rather than buy a Boom in the first place, that is . . )?

Yes the headphone is stereo. It's designed for headphones, but do with it as you wish.

ccrome2
2009-09-04, 18:06
Let me come at this another way by asking whether the same options are available for the Radio's headphone/line out as they are for the Boom's headphone/line out.

No, Radio does not have the same options. It's just a stereo output, and it does not drive separate data from the speakers. That means, either the speakers can be on OR the headphone can be on, but not both.

But... The speakers can be on when the headphone is plugged in, so that the speakers will alarm you, even if your headphones are plugged in.

fuzzyT
2009-09-09, 13:37
Thanks Caleb.

I guess leaving out the Sub-Out option simplified the needed the number of options needed anyway.

Running external speakers would likely be most commonly done w/o wanting to run the internal speakers at the same time.

It is nice to know the simple headphone out does provide a bit of flexibility in the setup, reuse and upgrade departments.

Bert0123
2009-09-17, 15:29
Well I really like the idea of a SB Radio companion speaker. In the same casing as the Radio. With built in Amplifier.
And make it wireless so no cable is needed for the audio signal. And with internal power supply, I hate these external blocks.
I'd sell my Boom immediately if this would exist.

And to make it complete, Make a Radio companion subwoofer with a 16 cm speaker...

I just keep on dreaming, the perfect system doesn't exist probably.

dennis55
2009-09-18, 10:44
This is what you need!

dennis

Mark Lanctot
2009-09-18, 11:35
Well I really like the idea of a SB Radio companion speaker. In the same casing as the Radio. With built in Amplifier.
And make it wireless so no cable is needed for the audio signal. And with internal power supply, I hate these external blocks.
I'd sell my Boom immediately if this would exist.

And to make it complete, Make a Radio companion subwoofer with a 16 cm speaker...

But that is a Boom.

<puzzled>

And it would probably cost more. Those wireless audio senders that actually sound good are digital, they're rare and not cheap (>$100).

Bert0123
2009-09-18, 13:00
The Boom is just a little bit stereo. If the Radio would have a separate companion speaker you could put them 1 meter or more apart. Then you get much better stereo. Also the Boom has no internal power supply.

radish
2009-09-18, 13:21
Why an extra companion speaker? Just two synced Radio's, one set to play left, the other right. Pretty straightforward software tweak and no extra SKUs to keep track of.

Keymaster
2009-09-18, 13:39

Seriously, turn the radio up to 60%. In the contexts that it is intended to be used, I personally think that the bass response is more than adequate (quite pleasing in fact).

I'll probably get chewed up over this, but in context (and having used it for several months now) I think that the SB Radio IS in fact the perfect system...it's all about context :)

YMMV, but I think it's great!

iPhone
2009-09-18, 13:56
The Boom is just a little bit stereo. If the Radio would have a separate companion speaker you could put them 1 meter or more apart. Then you get much better stereo. Also the Boom has no internal power supply.

If "Proper" Stereo is what one is looking for, then Radio with a companion speaker is far from the solution. If the Boom isn't good enough, then use a Receiver and a good pair of self-powered speakers. Costs about the same as two Radios and probably better sound and stereo.

And if its the portable thing, how portable are two Radios? I would rather carry my Boom with my DeWalt battery when it just has to be away from electricity but in range of my WiFi.

And if this about an add-on speaker that would run off the Radio while portable, how long does anybody think the Radio battery is going to last drive twice as much speaker?

Radio is what it is. A mono go anywhere one has WiFi Squeezebox. It is not an all-in-one or perfect solution. Radio is great for the night stand, bathroom, kitchen, spare room, or on the table on the deck by the chairs. By the time all the "requests" or add-on come into play, its just not Squeezebox Radio anymore and there are already better Squeezebox products to pick from in most cases anyway.

Bert0123
2009-09-19, 01:47
I am not sure if the Boom is replaced by the Radio, but it easily could if there would be a modular system.
They started a bit that way because the battery is sold separately. What would be the problem if such companion speaker would exist?

I think of putting the radio at my desktop for basic stereo listening.
I am sure that you will get a better stereo experience with speakers 1.4 meter apart from each other than with the Boom. And when I want it portable, I just take the radio to the garden and listen there in mono.

These are only general thoughts not to put down the Radio as is, but for future enhancements or products. It doesn't hurt anyone to give ideas.

I remember people complained about the Boom too for the lack of battery operation. And you see the radio has a battery. And a normal volume knob. Only for the volume knob I would like the radio :-)

And yes, a subwoofer might be overkill. But why not if it's optional?

Keymaster
2009-09-19, 04:37
As I said to Caleb the other day...

If you can accept that one of those "sound bars" delivers proper 5.1, then you should have no issues with SB Radio being a mono device.

...not that I'm saying that anyone here is of such a persuasion, but LOTS of folks out there DO think that way...same goes for "surround headphones"

Empirically: SB Radio sounds awesome!!!

Bert0123
2009-09-19, 14:42
As I said to Caleb the other day...

If you can accept that one of those "sound bars" delivers proper 5.1, then you should have no issues with SB Radio being a mono device.

...not that I'm saying that anyone here is of such a persuasion, but LOTS of folks out there DO think that way...same goes for "surround headphones"

Empirically: SB Radio sounds awesome!!!

I agree with that. High-end mono sounds better than "soundbar" stereo.
My Boom does sound fine, but does the radio sound better? Does the Radio use the same speaker units? Same diameter woofer?

ccrome2
2009-09-19, 17:39
I agree with that. High-end mono sounds better than "soundbar" stereo.
My Boom does sound fine, but does the radio sound better? Does the Radio use the same speaker units? Same diameter woofer?

Radio uses exactly the same speakers as Boom. Only 1 set though.

dean
2009-09-19, 19:17
But it does have a bit more acoustic volume, which should help its
response.

On Sep 19, 2009, at 5:39 PM, ccrome2 wrote:

>
> Bert0123;459760 Wrote:
>> I agree with that. High-end mono sounds better than "soundbar"
>> stereo.
>> My Boom does sound fine, but does the radio sound better? Does the
>> Radio use the same speaker units? Same diameter woofer?
>
> Radio uses exactly the same speakers as Boom. Only 1 set though.
>
>
> --
> ccrome2
>
> Caleb Crome
> Sr. Hardware Engineer
> Logitech SMBU (i.e. the Squeezebox people)
>
> <B>The future is here. It's just not widely distributed yet.</B>
> <I>-William Gibson</I>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ccrome2's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=18023
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=67421
>
>

pfarrell
2009-09-19, 19:25
Dean Blackketter wrote:
> But it does have a bit more acoustic volume, which should help its
> response.

Plus or minus the magic that Caleb and co do.
DSP is wonderful.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

ejevs
2009-11-06, 09:05
Came to this thread because I really neede a radio with an extra speaker, so yous some clients have reson for the (not audiophile).
I need the radio in the kitchen and the speaker in the dinningroom, mono is fine for breakfast.
But I just learned the connecting the speaker/s in the dinningroom will disconnect the buildin speaker in the kitchen, no good -> no radio for me.

ps. am I wrong or is it easy to implement by software a function to have either "internal speaker off + stereo output" or "only second stereo eg. left channal output" in the headphone jack ?
That would make me a happy custumer :-)

whoreallyknows
2009-11-27, 12:23
I have a 5th wheel trailer and I want to add these outdoor speakers.
Audio Unlimited® 900Mhz Wireless Indoor/Outdoor Speakers Can I? Best way? Will I be able to hear both the speakers outdoors and indoors? Or just one of the two? Thanks in advance

MartinG
2010-09-12, 16:56
I've got (2) radios (night stand and kitchen), and maybe I should have bought Booms instead, but I do find the Radio weak on low Hz, as expected for its size. I would like to add a powered subwoofer, like you can with the Boom's Headphones/Sub-out jack. Is this possible, while continuing to use the radio's internal speaker?

Thanks,
Marty

Soulkeeper
2010-09-13, 06:16
The Radio doesn't have the same kind of support for it as the Boom does. It won't split the signal internally.

But you can do a trick (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=80484) and activate headphone out while at the same time playing through the speaker. With some careful adjustment of the cutoff frequency and volume level on the subwoofer, I guess you could achieve what you're after.

MartinG
2010-09-14, 16:19
Thanks I will try the "trick"

Do you know if you're able to switch the headphone-jack (side of SBR) and line-in jack (back of SBR)? I would prefer to not have a cable permanently sticking out of the side of the SB Radio.

Thanks,

Soulkeeper
2010-09-15, 00:11
Do you know if you're able to switch the headphone-jack (side of SBR) and line-in jack (back of SBR)? I would prefer to not have a cable permanently sticking out of the side of the SB Radio.

I doubt it. A right angle jack plug (http://www.rapidonline.com/netalogue/zoomed/Large/M067675W01.jpg) may be your best option.