PDA

View Full Version : Does this new model have a auto-sleep button?

ckknox
2009-09-03, 08:55
From the photo's, it can't see if this new model has an auto sleep button that turns off at a set time as the SQ Boom does.

I would assume that it has the function since it has an alarm clock.
If so, is it a series of clicks & scrolls to get to the function or is it one touch like the Boom?

Also, is there a manual to download posted yet?

Thanks,
CK

MeSue
2009-09-03, 09:10
It doesn't have a dedicated button for it like the Boom does, but if you add sleep to your home menu, it's just a few button pushes away. Or you can use a remote control with the sleep button. It's probably something that could be assigned to a button as a software enhancement.

Milhouse
2009-09-03, 17:28
No dedicated snooze button?

Wow... what a stunningly *massive* mistake - that eliminates this as a candidate to replace my current clock radio/alarm (which has a very well used snooze button), and the size was perfect too (the Boom, which bizarrely has a dedicated snooze button, is way too large for a bedside table).

Mark Miksis
2009-09-03, 17:32
I believe the current plan is that pressing the big navigation knob will do snooze. Not sure about sleep.

Milhouse
2009-09-03, 17:37
It needs to be something I can hit while semi-comatose - trying to touch the screen is unlikely to succeed, as is twiddling a knob (errr... oh never mind :)).

I just don't understand why an easy-to-hit button couldn't have been provided (as it is on the Boom) but anyway - this is a major disappointment and now renders the Radio unfit for the bedroom (as an alarm) IMHO. One lost purchase, and I suspect not the last. :(

peterw
2009-09-03, 17:49
I just don't understand why an easy-to-hit button couldn't have been provided

Don't you think the knob is big enough to hit???

Milhouse
2009-09-03, 18:04
Don't you think the knob is big enough to hit???

Hit, or push? I can't see how I can "hit" the knob other than to "push" it in which case I run the risk of pushing the entire radio off the table, and if I don't accurately push the knob I may end up rotating it and selecting god knows what function.

Sorry, but using the knob as a snooze button is not a practical alternative while the user is semi-comatose and/or flapping around in the dark. If the knob was an acceptable alternative to a snooze button, why did the Boom come with a large snooze button - possibly because a snooze button wins every time over a knob?

peterw
2009-09-03, 19:09
Hit, or push? I can't see how I can "hit" the knob other than to "push" it in which case I run the risk of pushing the entire radio off the table

Trust me, there are nice rubber feet on the Radio that keep it in place. Unless you're keeping it on top of a stack of paper, you should be fine.

If the knob was an acceptable alternative to a snooze button, why did the Boom come with a large snooze button - possibly because a snooze button wins every time over a knob?

A large snooze button is nicer, and a top-mounted button is nicer, too -- I'll grant you that. And Boom's snooze pad makes a nice spot to keep your small remote. But I imagine it's expensive (did you know there are 5 separate buttons under the Boom snooze pad?), so omitting it on Radio (like omitting the backlighting of the buttons) helps keep the cost & retail price down. Plus a number of Logitech folks tried painting their Booms (we don't all want black), and the silicone snooze button made that difficult. Not only does Radio come in a pretty nice red (well, my early build does), but it should be easier to repaint than Boom. I don't know if the official docs mention this, but the speaker grille comes off easily, so you could also more easily change that color, too -- but you're stuck with black on the right-hand side.

peterw
2009-09-03, 19:12
I believe the current plan is that pressing the big navigation knob will do snooze. Not sure about sleep.

I fully intend to make KidsPlay work with Radio, so that at least would give you the option of turning one of the 6 silver buttons into a dedicated sleep button. Because Radio runs SqueezeOS, KidsPlay should let you have custom button functions even when connected to SqueezeNetwork, which is not possible with Boom.

MeSue
2009-09-03, 20:45
What if snooze could be invoked by *any* movement of the big knob, so all you'd have to do would be to nudge it? I'm sure the anti-snoozers would hate it, though.

I wasn't even thinking about snooze when I read the OP's question.

andynormancx
2009-09-03, 23:33
like omitting the backlighting of the buttons
Oh, that's more of a problem. I had assumed that the Radio's buttons were backlit like the Boom :(

Most of my night time use of the Boom is in pitch darkness, so I doubt the Radio is going to be much use. Which is a shame, I was hoping to free up some space by replacing the bedside Boom.

Siduhe
2009-09-04, 03:38
Most of my night time use of the Boom is in pitch darkness, so I doubt the Radio is going to be much use. Which is a shame, I was hoping to free up some space by replacing the bedside Boom.

I've tried the SB Radio as a bedside alarm clock but have ended up reverting back to the Boom and putting the Radio in the kitchen where it works fantastically well. In part this was because some things were still being worked on (like the brightness of the screen when off). In part it's because I just found the Boom easier to use in the dark. Buttons are slightly further apart for one thing and backlit.

However, if I didn't have the Boom, I think I would be pretty happy to use the SB Radio as a bedside alarm clock - certainly clicking the knob "in" for snooze wouldn't be a problem for me, even just as I was waking up. It's a sturdy unit and not prone to falling over.

fuzzyT
2009-09-04, 12:44
What if snooze could be invoked by *any* movement of the big knob.

Spin To Snooze!

I like it.

Philip Meyer
2009-09-04, 13:02
It needs to be something I can hit while semi-comatose - trying to touch the screen is unlikely to succeed, as is twiddling a knob (errr... oh never mind :)).

I just don't understand why an easy-to-hit button couldn't have been provided (as it is on the Boom) but anyway - this is a major disappointment and now renders the Radio unfit for the bedroom (as an alarm) IMHO. One lost purchase, and I suspect not the last. :(

This issue came up in beta testing, and it was suggested that any button (in particular pressing knob) would act as a snooze.

I've never understood the logic/need for a snooze function, it's the last thing I want to do. To the point where if the device is changed to make any button act as snooze for any alarm, it would render the device useless for alarms for me.

So, something like that needs to be configurable. I raised a bug for it: https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=13602

Muele
2009-09-09, 03:27
I know that its a little late trying to influence the actual product.

But for me stuff like backlit buttons and a workable snoozebutton is really important if I'm going to replace my trusty (yet lousy) alarmclock-radio with something that costs ten times as much. Probably the knob does the trick ok, but a dedicated button is the obvious choice for snoozing. And for the button-light: Did the designers/market researcher/whatever ask themselves if the users are going to put the radio in the bedroom and use it with lights out? Probalby they did and still left out the light. Will it save money during production? Yes but likely less than a dollar. I don't get decisions like that... But anyway I'm not saying I'm not going to get it anyway but they're definately drawbacks.

And now finaly the link that made me write this rant. Its a translation of a review of a pretty direct competitor. Not less than seven times it is mentioned/emphasized that it has a snoozebutton.
The crucial word is not translated by google, so: Snoozeknap=Snoozebutton, Snoozeknappen=The Snoozebutton.
http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=da&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fgear.comon.dk%2Fnyheder%2FPure-Siesta-Flow-clockradio-Hyldest-til-soevnen-1.241469.html&sl=da&tl=en&history_state0=

p88l
2009-09-09, 13:35
I know that its a little late trying to influence the actual product.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=da&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fgear.comon.dk%2Fnyheder%2FPure-Siesta-Flow-clockradio-Hyldest-til-soevnen-1.241469.html&sl=da&tl=en&history_state0=

The USD prices do not make sense.

It will be EUR 150:
http://uk.pure.com/de/presse/release.asp?ID=416
or 100 UK pounds:
http://uk.pure.com/press/release.asp?ID=339

Muele
2009-09-10, 00:17
The USD prices do not make sense.

It will be EUR 150:
http://uk.pure.com/de/presse/release.asp?ID=416
or 100 UK pounds:
http://uk.pure.com/press/release.asp?ID=339

I know. Google translate just exchanged danish kroner with US dollars 1:1 without any calculation.

mathfuzzy
2009-09-29, 12:15
So, I'm thinking about getting a Squeezebox Radio to use as a bedside clock radio. The big question is the snooze button, or rather, the lack thereof. I understand that it doesn't have a dedicated snooze button, but I'm unclear on how one actually triggers a snooze. Do I understand correctly that you push in the big knob (pretty sure I can manage that in my typical state of unconsciousness)? Is it programmable / assignable to any button? Would something unintended happen if I accidentally turned the knob, rather than pushed it (a VERY real possibility if I'm expected to demonstrate any dexterity before sunrise - I've mastered the fine motor skill of slapping the top of the offending device, but not sure I'm capable of a more advanced maneuver)?

Also, how does the display work for displaying time? I assume that the entire display can be configured to display the time of day, but is that the case? And finally (sorry if this is covered elsewhere), does something indicate on the display that the alarm is set? I don't care if it shows the time of the alarm, but I do care to know that the alarm is armed. (UPDATE - nevermind on these last questions - I see they're covered elsewhere in this thread - the short answer is yes to both time / date display and alarm indicator).

Thanks in advance.

Tom Wadzinski
2009-09-29, 12:59
Currently, the mute button (press volume knob) works as a secondary dedicated snooze button. The knob works as a snooze when pressed, but the knob also moves you between menu choices: snooze and "turn off alarm", so it might be easy for a sleepy user to accidentally fumble the knob and move it to "turn off" alarm before pressing it.

mathfuzzy
2009-09-29, 20:10
Currently, the mute button (press volume knob) works as a secondary dedicated snooze button. The knob works as a snooze when pressed, but the knob also moves you between menu choices: snooze and "turn off alarm", so it might be easy for a sleepy user to accidentally fumble the knob and move it to "turn off" alarm before pressing it.

Thanks for the response Tom.

If the volume knob is the secondary snooze button, what's the primary snooze button? In other words, are there other options that don't present the danger of turning off the alarm?

Howard Passman
2009-09-30, 02:43
Snooze buttons are for sissies:-)

morgan4x4
2009-09-30, 03:06
I read this thread with amazement. I have a SB Radio on order with Amazon, I placed the order on Sept 3 and simply assumed that a product marketed as a bedside radio (with alarm) would have a snooze button. This is the most basic of functionality. The Boom, of which I have 3, is frankly too big to be an aesthetic alarm clock replacement. Despite this, it has a snooze button, something I rely on each morning to give me that extra 9 minutes from 4:51 - 5:00.

I am curious to hear from Logitech why they decided to design this product without the snooze. This is clearly a fatal and fundamental design flaw. I am sure all the Logitech folks, especially from product design and marketing, will rationalize to themselves and others about the reasons for the choices, and defend the steps that took them to where we are today. Simply put, somebody dropped the ball big time! This is inexcusable, and I believe that Logitech should stop advertising and promoting the SB Radio as a viable alternative to a bedside alarm.

I for one am canceling my order until version 2 of this product is released. Maybe next time the wunderkinds in product design will get the consumer input before beta or product release!

mathfuzzy
2009-09-30, 06:21
With respect to snooze buttons being for sissies - well, be that at it may, this sissy doesn't always wake up immediately and builds those 9 minutes into the morning routine. Sounds as though I'm not alone in this regard.

With respect to the lack of a snooze button being a fatal flaw, I completely agree. It makes a great deal more sense that it would NOT be on the Boom, but would be on the Radio. I'm trying to talk myself into the kludge of pushing the volume button as an acceptable solution, but it really isn't. Once (if?) the Radio has a dedicated snooze button on top, count me as a customer.

Phil Leigh
2009-09-30, 07:02
For Heavens sake, we've got 2 snooze buttons... that's one more than any clock radio I've ever owned!

Howard Passman
2009-09-30, 07:13
With respect to snooze buttons being for sissies - well, be that at it may, this sissy doesn't always wake up immediately and builds those 9 minutes into the morning routine. Sounds as though I'm not alone in this regard.

With respect to the lack of a snooze button being a fatal flaw, I completely agree. It makes a great deal more sense that it would NOT be on the Boom, but would be on the Radio. I'm trying to talk myself into the kludge of pushing the volume button as an acceptable solution, but it really isn't. Once (if?) the Radio has a dedicated snooze button on top, count me as a customer.

Yeah, I was just kidding. I barely sleep anyway so getting up is no problem and it's rare that I haven't been up for a few hours before the alarm goes off at 3:30. I reccommend one of those coffee machines that grinds the beans before it makes coffee. I don't think anyone can sleep through that.

The missing snooze button is silly, but some of the suggestions, like any movement of the knob, seem very doable. I'd be happy with that if I wasn't all ready up.

dean
2009-09-30, 07:16
On Sep 30, 2009, at 3:06 AM, morgan4x4 wrote:
> I am curious to _hear_from_Logitech_ why they decided to design this
> product without the snooze.
I don't work for Logitech anymore, but I was one of the product
designers.

We decided that the biggest control on the device, the giant knob in
the middle of the front, would be an adequate snooze button.

If you haven't seen one in person yet, buy it and take advantage of
the 30-day money back guarantee. If you find the snooze too awkward,
take it back!

-dean

mathfuzzy
2009-09-30, 12:00
designers.

take it back!

-dean

Good suggestion Dean. A bit of a hassle if it doesn't work, but it seems like a great device, so worth a try. I was mostly thrown off the scent when it sounded as though I could inadvertently cancel the alarm, rather than invoke a snooze, with the big button.

Anyway, it's compelling enough to give a try.

morgan4x4
2009-09-30, 14:39
designers.

take it back!

-dean

Dean, good point, but you did not answer why you did not design in the snooze button as a convenience rather than rely on an "adequate" solution. I will keep my order and give it a try. Thanks for the feedback.

Milhouse
2009-09-30, 14:53
Considering I would have bought the Radio over the internet it's too much of a risk and simply too much hassle to buy it only to find the knob is not an adequate replacement for a snooze button, so I'll be waiting for the successor Radio II, or buying an alternative to replace my decrepit Sony FM radio/alarm with it's honking big - and well used - snooze button.

I'd love to have bought a Logitech Radio but I don't see why I should take a leap of faith and potentially waste money on return shipping (and yet more on re-stocking fees) over something so basic/obvious as a snooze button on a product designed for use as a bedside alarm. The fact the Boom has a snooze button when it is generally unsuitable in the bedroom (too large) only servers to make the decision all the more annoying.

I genuinely believe Logitech will lose a ton of sales over this design oddball decision. :(

dean
2009-09-30, 14:59
How about this:

The biggest control on the product is a SNOOZE button which is a
gigantic button on the front of the unit.

Oh, and it can also be used for scrolling. :)

Milhouse
2009-09-30, 15:11
How about this:

The biggest control on the product is a SNOOZE button which is a
gigantic button on the front of the unit.

Oh, and it can also be used for scrolling. :)

The fact it has to be pointed out explains why sales will be lost - people expect a dedicated snooze button on a bedside alarm, usually on top where it can get slapped several times each morning...

Twiddling a knob in the morning might work (ahem) but unfortunately I have no intention of putting myself into a position where I have to ship the Radio back to the retailer at my own cost should I find it doesn't work for me. It will be interesting to read the experiences of those who do give it a try though.

dean
2009-09-30, 15:54
On Sep 30, 2009, at 3:11 PM, Milhouse wrote:
> The fact it has to be pointed out explains why sales will be lost -
> people expect a dedicated snooze button on a bedside alarm, usually on
> top where it can get slapped several times each morning...
>
> Twiddling a knob in the morning might work (ahem)
Just slap the thing, you don't need to twiddle at all. It's a big
button.

> but unfortunately I
> have no intention of putting myself into a position where I have to
> ship
> the Radio back to the retailer at my own cost should I find it doesn't
> work for me.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. See you in the other forums!

All the best,

-dean

nspindel
2009-10-27, 17:25
It doesn't have a dedicated button for it like the Boom does, but if you add sleep to your home menu, it's just a few button pushes away. Or you can use a remote control with the sleep button. It's probably something that could be assigned to a button as a software enhancement.

How do you move sleep to the home menu???

Edit: Never mind, just figured it out :) Thanks for the tip.

ModelCitizen
2009-10-30, 01:46
Being the proud owner of two Radios, a Boom, a Touch etc etc I can authoritatively assert that the snooze button on the radio is absolutely fine. It is simple to reach out and hit the big knob with eyes entirely closed and brain hardly functioning. The little Radio is so solid and heavy and has such good rubber feet that it does not move at all when I do this (let alone threaten to fall off my bedside table).

In fact, I think I prefer it to the sleep button on my Boom. The Boom in the main bedroom has now been surplanted by the Radio and moved downstairs to the kitchen where, in it's turn it has replaced the bulky Classic, amp and speakers.

Another very good thing with the radio is that the headphone socket is on the side of the device (not in a very-hard-to-get-to recess at the back as it was on the Boom). The addition of a dedicated volume button is also very welcome.

All in all, it's a very solid device and a steal at the price (even in the UK).

MC