PDA

View Full Version : Squeezbox Touch power consumption?

Sike
2009-09-03, 06:36
Now that it's official and all that: Is there an official (Or at least some feedback from the beta crew) measurment for power consumption for the 2 new devices?

I am most interested in knowing how much power they draw when turned off, with or without the screen on.

Anybody?

radish
2009-09-03, 07:32
I'm getting 2W in "off" and 3W while playing.

epoch1970
2009-09-03, 10:03
Very good!
I suppose this is without external usb drive ?
=> around 4-5W peak, mass(ive) storage included ?

powaq
2009-09-03, 10:47
yes : a recent 2.5" HDD draws around 1,5-2W.

technobear
2009-09-03, 13:16
What voltage does the Touch use?

Can I use it in a Car/Caravan/RV/Boat?

pfarrell
2009-09-03, 13:25
technobear wrote:
> What voltage does the Touch use?

Its got a small power brick, it uses some small amount of DC power.

> Can I use it in a Car/Caravan/RV/Boat?

Yes, once its released, some beta folks are doing that already.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Matt Wise
2009-09-03, 13:26
It only takes 5v... so as long as you can supply it 5v, your in good
shape.

technobear
2009-09-03, 13:37
Thankyou guys.

I wonder if a car USB power adaptor would be up to the job? They are 5V are they not?

funkstar
2009-09-03, 13:50
Thankyou guys.

I wonder if a car USB power adaptor would be up to the job? They are 5V are they not?
I don't know what the final PSU will be, but the beta unit I have is rated at 3.0A @ 5v. USB only supplies 0.5A @ 5v.

You will be able to find several 12v to 5v adapters for use in cars, but you will need to look a little further than a USB output :)

technobear
2009-09-03, 14:34
Thanks. I guess I'll also need a regulated 12V for the hard drive.

I'm picturing a 500GB drive hidden in the glove box, Squeezebox Touch mounted on the dash, cassette adaptor plugged into the headphone jack, my entire CD collection available uncompressed in my car...

I think I need to lie down :)

MeSue
2009-09-03, 15:07
I'm picturing a 500GB drive hidden in the glove box, Squeezebox Touch mounted on the dash, cassette adaptor plugged into the headphone jack, my entire CD collection available uncompressed in my car...

Oooo, but if you're going to do all that, don't ruin it with a nasty cassette adapter. Install an auxiliary jack. :D

agillis
2009-09-03, 15:32

You can get a 500GB 2.5 inch laptop drive. It only uses 5v.

dwc
2009-09-03, 18:41
Oooo, but if you're going to do all that, don't ruin it with a nasty cassette adapter. Install an auxiliary jack. :D

Better yet, drop the head unit entirely[1] and run straight into a power amp. [For a complimentary product, check out "endler attenuators".]

FWIW - I am running USB in the glove box now, into a usb-friendly pioneer head unit. I got a 15-watt 12v DC converter from one of the two major suppliers, Opus Solutions. This should be enough to power a touch.

http://www.opussolutions.com/index.php?p=product&id=24

Best of luck, do it!
Dan

[1]Leave the factory head unit in place as a decoy.

iPhone
2009-09-03, 18:58

Or better, just buy a USB powered USB Drive and have the Touch USB port power ones drive. I am using a Toshiba 320GB USB drive and have ordered their 500GB USB powered USB drive. One has to connect it anyway, might as well just have one cable that does both jobs power/data.

Sike
2009-09-04, 01:04
What would also be very cool if it had PoE, and I mean the real deal 802.3af :)

But then again, I am a cable freak. I would like to get rid of all of them.

gorman
2009-09-04, 01:34
Holy Hell!!! Didn't think about the in-car solution... with the TinySC thing it would be perfect.

/me goes back salivating...

technobear
2009-09-04, 02:22

Nice idea but I'm not sure how it could be done.

The player does have a separate CD changer so there must be an analogue input there I would think. Then again, it could be a digital input which actually would be even better. Either way maybe I could piggy back onto that and have a discrete switch to flip between CD and touch.

I shall have to investigate.

That'll be just what I need!

Better yet, drop the head unit entirely[1] and run straight into a power amp. [For a complimentary product, check out "endler attenuators".]

I was hoping not to have to pull the car to pieces! :D

Holy Hell!!! Didn't think about the in-car solution... with the TinySC thing it would be perfect.

/me goes back salivating...

:D

I wonder if Logitech truly realise what they have created here?

I hope they have plenty of capacity because they are gonna get killed in the rush come December! There are so many uses for this thing.

b33k34
2009-09-04, 03:54

I'm not sure there's a whole lot of point in worrying about uncompressed audio if you're going to feed it through a cassette adaptor. I'm not sure what the quality/dynamic range/distortion is on those things but i'm sure it's pretty dreadful.

You definitely need to lie down.

technobear
2009-09-04, 04:35
I'm not sure there's a whole lot of point in worrying about uncompressed audio if you're going to feed it through a cassette adaptor. I'm not sure what the quality/dynamic range/distortion is on those things but i'm sure it's pretty dreadful.

You definitely need to lie down.

I'm an audiophile. MP3 or any other kind of compressed audio sounds absolutely abysmal to my ears, even when fed through a cassette adaptor! I already do this with a cheap Tevion flash music player. I tried 320kbps MP3. I really wanted it to work but in the end I just couldn't stand it. WAVs sound so much better.

You could look at it this way. If you're gonna use a cassette adaptor and a factory fit stereo then the sound needs all the help it can get from the source, right? :D

MeSue
2009-09-04, 09:50
Nice idea but I'm not sure how it could be done.

The player does have a separate CD changer so there must be an analogue input there I would think. Then again, it could be a digital input which actually would be even better. Either way maybe I could piggy back onto that and have a discrete switch to flip between CD and touch.

I shall have to investigate.

My husband just installed Aux. inputs for both our cars. My car (Impala) required a $70 little box from Crutchfield. Then it thinks I'm using a CD changer when I use the aux in.

His truck didn't require any kind of kit, but I'm not sure what he had to do to tie in to it. I know he has to have a "dummy" cassette in the cassette slot even though it's not doing anything. He researched it all online and figured it out.

dwc
2009-09-04, 14:41
I was hoping not to have to pull the car to pieces! :D

C'mon, you know all decent car audio installs require some panel-pulling. Don't let it stop you. If you're going to run this in the car, you are going to want amps and speakers that are up to the SQ of the source - you will be impelled by your audiophile thirst to soundproof/deaden the doors and floors, replace the stock drivers, etc, etc, etc...

Buy one of those tiny Alpine PDX 4.150 amps, you should be able to hide that pretty easily. Leave all the stock wiring in place, and run your own wires:

Touch -> attenuators -> Amp -> Speakers

Then if/when you sell the car, you can make a clean exit and restore the stock system.

[pardon me while I babble, I am talking myself into doing this..]

technobear
2009-09-05, 05:21
One more question on power.

I've read several people talk about powering the Touch from batteries.

Standard NiMH cells give 1.2V so four of them would give 4.8V.

Is 4.8V enough for a Touch to function normally or do we have to go to a bit more effort to produce a regulated 5V?