PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Touch Usability Question

kpfeif
2009-09-03, 05:21
Hi.

I'm excited about the new Squeezebox Radio, and the Touch surely looks pretty, but regarding the user interface choice with the touch - I don't get it.

I see two ways that people will use this:

1. As the music source for a full-featured A/V system (or just an "A" system)
2. As the music source for a small, stand-alone system with a set of powered speakers.

I use my Duet in a setup like #1. I have a full-featured remote (the Duet Controller OR the iPeng on the iPod touch) that I use to surf around. The screen is right in my hand - easy to see, etc. What I can't imagine is a screen all the way across the room...and I don't see me getting off my big butt to walk over there and change music. I have great vision, but a small LCD screen across the room? Difficult at best.

#2 - that'll work fine, and I'm sure it'd be great. But the Boom does that already...complete with speakers. Yeah, there's the screen, I guess.

Other ideas...

Have some sort of "remote input" setup for the Touch and use it like a jukebox controller. You'd still need to run the audio signals from the touch back to a receiver/amp.

Am I missing something?

BTW - I'm ordering the new Radio today. Just what I need for my small nightstand.

funkstar
2009-09-03, 06:51
#2 - that'll work fine, and I'm sure it'd be great. But the Boom does that already...complete with speakers. Yeah, there's the screen, I guess.
The Boom does not have digital output up to 24/96
The Boom does not have USB ports for connecting you music directly

The Touch is a replacement for the SB3, which thousands of people have "all the way across the room" connected to their stereo. How is the Touch different. Using the IR remote (not the Controller) it pops into a larger text UI making it easier to read and control from a distance.

This will still work with iPeng or the Controller with the added benefit of everyone else in the room able to see the screen easier than on the one you are hogging while controlling the player ;)

FredFredrickson
2009-09-03, 07:12
I'd like to add that the touch is perfect for the side table next to the couch or the nightstand next to the bed. There are a lot of convenient places to put it that are within an arms distance.

But there's a 10' UI if you use the remote. It goes back to regular UI when you touch it. It's pretty clever.

Letten
2009-09-03, 07:49
I'd like to add that the touch is perfect for the side table next to the couch or the nightstand next to the bed. There are a lot of convenient places to put it that are within an arms distance.

But there's a 10' UI if you use the remote. It goes back to regular UI when you touch it. It's pretty clever.

So, how would you rate across room readability of the touch compared to the Classic?

FredFredrickson
2009-09-03, 08:11
So, how would you rate across room readability of the touch compared to the Classic?

I have never had a classic- only the duet, and these new betas.. but I personally can see the Touch in the 10' mode from about 8 - 12 feet away max.. Anything more and I have to squint.. (but I need new contacts too.. soo)

I imagine it's not as clear as the classic's screen.. but it's a tradeoff because you don't have album art on the classic either.

MeSue
2009-09-03, 08:14

That would depend on the size of the room and your eyes, I think. I have used it from about 11-12 feet away, and that was pushing it for me. 10 feet is is probably the farthest you'd want to have it to still be fairly readable.

I find it easier to read from that distance than the Boom screen with the 2-line display. I haven't used a Classic in a while with the Full screen display, so I can't compare that.

tamanaco
2009-09-03, 08:26

Sorry, I don't see it so clearly. Do you mean to use the touch with powered speakers attached? My SB3 is currently connected directly to my AV System in a cabinet below my LCD TV and wired to my Ethernet network. 3 wires coming out the back. I understand that one can have the Touch use WiFi, but wouldn't the SB Radio be a better option for a side table?

snarlydwarf
2009-09-03, 08:34
Sorry, I don't see it so clearly. Do you mean to use the touch with powered speakers attached? My SB3 is currently connected directly to my AV System in a cabinet below my LCD TV and wired to my Ethernet network. 3 wires coming out the back. I understand that one can have the Touch use WiFi, but wouldn't the SB Radio be a better option for a side table?

That depends. I personally dislike bed-side radio type things with built in speakers. It makes no sense in stereo. "Ah, the drums are by my feet, and the guitar by my head.." (Which is why the Radio is workable bedside, you can kiss decent stereo seperation away when you have any sort of bedside player... how Bose convinces people to put a Wave on their nightstand is beyond me. Mono is fine if next to the bed.)

The Touch lets you position speakers better, or if you have an existing SBClassic or Receiver, you can use the touch as a huge remote to controller the other player, so the only wires you'd need bedside would be power. (Assuming your wireless network is working fine, etc..)

It's quite functional as a Giant SB Controller.

(To be honest, though, proper stereo in a bedroom is tricky unless you lay on your back slightly propped up.)

FredFredrickson
2009-09-03, 08:37

The SB Radio would be great for that as well. I keep one in my kitchen counter, and use it to listen to music while cooking!

I like the Touch on my nightstand personally, and I have thin speakers attached on my night stand, so it looks pretty nice...

On a side table would be good too, as long as you have some cables.. or you could use it as a controller only, and control other squeezeboxes with it.

tamanaco
2009-09-03, 09:08
The SB Radio would be great for that as well. I keep one in my kitchen counter, and use it to listen to music while cooking!

I like the Touch on my nightstand personally, and I have thin speakers attached on my night stand, so it looks pretty nice...

On a side table would be good too, as long as you have some cables.. or you could use it as a controller only, and control other squeezeboxes with it.

I see... nice setup. In my case I like to place speakers facing me and at some distance apart from each other and from my ears to get good sound. Also, my wife would be horrified if I put speakers on the side table(s). I already put two speakers on two corners close to the ceiling facing down towards the bed that she's not too happy about. (See Pic) I bought them and put them up before she got home from work one day. Since she can't reach them they're still in place.

toby10
2009-09-03, 11:49
1. As the music source for a full-featured A/V system (or just an "A" system)
2. As the music source for a small, stand-alone system with a set of powered speakers.......

The later (#2) is mostly how I've used mine to a set of AuduiEngine a5's, and it does so wonderfully. :)
This is of particular benefit for use outdoors as the Boom & SB3 VFD screens can be difficult to see with even the slightest glare.
Whereas the Touch LCD screen is definitely usable with such glare.

The USB interface is still very beta and is still not functioning (for me) so I've only used the Touch connected to the usual suspects, SC and SN. :)

simbo
2009-09-03, 11:57
Would it be possible for somebody (who's lucky enough to own one) to post some shots of the Touch in 10' mode? I'm guessing the "regular" UI is an evolution of SqueezePlay, but I'm interested to see the functionality of the 10' mode.

MeSue
2009-09-03, 12:01
Would it be possible for somebody (who's lucky enough to own one) to post some shots of the Touch in 10' mode? I'm guessing the "regular" UI is an evolution of SqueezePlay, but I'm interested to see the functionality of the 10' mode.

I think the 10' UI is already in SqueezePlay as a selectable skin. You can get it here:
http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.4