PDA

View Full Version : SqueezeCenter for Touch?

superwebba
2009-09-03, 02:08
Hello,
do I still need SqueezeCenter for SqueezeTouch?
Is it now possible to simply attach an external USB-Disk or SC card and listen to the music?

AS from specifications:
# USB host connector for accessing music and photos via USB drive or USB key
# SD card slot for music and photos

remd
2009-09-03, 02:23
Yes, there is a "tiny SqueezeCenter" running on Touch, which allows to play music, or show photos directly from an attached usb drive/mem stick or sdcard.
You usb drive or sdcard will then show under "My music" if you have music on them.

superwebba
2009-09-03, 02:30
Ok, great to know as I do not want to turn on my PC if I want to listen to music or buy anything else to do this.
All my music is already on a external USB Disc, so this is perfect, and it is enough to listen to Internet Radio

ModelCitizen
2009-09-03, 03:08
Ok, great to know as I do not want to turn on my PC if I want to listen to music or buy anything else to do this.
All my music is already on a external USB Disc, so this is perfect, and it is enough to listen to Internet Radio

I'm sure the embedded SlimServer will be very attractive to many. Just to satisfy my curiosity do you know what file format your USB drive uses (i.e. Fat32, NTFS etc)?

MC

squsqu
2009-09-03, 04:01
Yes, there is a "tiny SqueezeCenter" running on Touch, which allows to play music, or show photos directly from an attached usb drive/mem stick or sdcard.
You usb drive or sdcard will then show under "My music" if you have music on them.

Do you have some more details about that "tiny SqueezeCenter" ? Does it have it's own database(for the tags etc), or does it simply allow to walk through the folders on your disk?

Is that server reachable by other squeezbox clients? (from my classic?)

Thanks

4mula1
2009-09-03, 04:05
I'm sure the embedded SlimServer will be very attractive to many. Just to satisfy my curiosity do you know what file format your USB drive uses (i.e. Fat32, NTFS etc)?

FAT32. It's in this thread:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=453549&postcount=54

mherger
2009-09-03, 04:06
yes: own DB, and yes: can stream to other players (but not SliMP3 and SB1)

Letten
2009-09-03, 04:32
Sounds interresting.

Can it completely replace the need for a PC/NAS running SC? I mean can I hook up a 250GB USB harddisk with music and use it just as I would on a PC-server running SC?

Or is it more aimed towards occational usb drive with a limited number of trakcs?

andynormancx
2009-09-03, 04:34
Is it also capable of reading from an SMB share on a NAS ?

minky
2009-09-03, 04:37
So what functionality is not there in Squeezecenter on Touch?

I guess you are going to have to unlplug the USB drive to update it from a PC, but once it is on there can it serve everything outs o I can switch off my server.

tamanaco
2009-09-03, 04:43
How about remote access to the mini-squeezebox server?... Web UI... Controller... CLI?

Edit: Also is there a specific version of the Sqeezebox Server that "officially" supports the Touch and Radio?

funkstar
2009-09-03, 04:52

I guess you are going to have to unlplug the USB drive to update it from a PC, but once it is on there can it serve everything outs o I can switch off my server.
TinySC, as it is currently knows (I presume this will change on official release), has no web interface, no transcoding, no no SliMP3 or SB1 support.

Yes, you will need to unplug the drive and connect it to a PC to copy files over, at least to begin with.

NTFS drives will not be supported until v8.0.1 according to Bugzilla.

pippin
2009-09-03, 05:39
How about remote access to the mini-squeezebox server?... Web UI... Controller... CLI?

Controller: yes
CLI: yes

Edit: Also is there a specific version of the Sqeezebox Server that "officially" supports the Touch and Radio?
7.4 for radio and 8.0 for Touch AFAIK

trouty00
2009-09-03, 06:18
ok so does that mean that until v8.0 is out then the touch doesnt work correctly, when are we expecting v8.0 sw?

also does the touch distibute album artwork out to all other players such as radio and other touches?

aubuti
2009-09-03, 06:20
The Touch's self-contained SC (aka TinySC) won't be available until 8.0. The Touch presently works with SC 7.4 running on a separate server.

dave77
2009-09-03, 06:35
Controller: yes
CLI: yes

No web interface is a bit cheeky :) It's gonna push more people towards the Controller over iPeng.

trouty00
2009-09-03, 06:43
The Touch's self-contained SC (aka TinySC) won't be available until 8.0. The Touch presently works with SC 7.4 running on a separate server.

any estimated dates on when 8.0 comes out supported?

funkstar
2009-09-03, 06:57
No web interface is a bit cheeky :) It's gonna push more people towards the Controller over iPeng.
It's a case of not having the horsepower or memory to offer a fully fledged web interface in there as well as everything else.

Yes a NAS can do it, but it does it slowly, also the NAS doesn't have to be a player or run a LUA interface at the same time.

andynormancx
2009-09-03, 06:58

Why ? iPeng doesn't use the web interface, it uses the CLI just like the Controller does.

funkstar
2009-09-03, 07:01
ok so does that mean that until v8.0 is out then the touch doesnt work correctly, when are we expecting v8.0 sw?

also does the touch distibute album artwork out to all other players such as radio and other touches?
"doesn't work correctly" is a bit of a jump. It works perfectly well with 7.4, it's just that some features are still in beta. Remember, the Touch isn't actually out yet it is slated for December 1st. Thats 3 months away.

As for album artwork: if Touch is acting as the server, yes it will supply artwork to the Radio the Controller and any other Touches on the network. It will also serve music to the non SqueezeOS players such is the SB3, Boom and Transporter, but obviously you won't get artwork on them :)

aubuti
2009-09-03, 07:08
Well you've gotta cut *something* to make SC work at a reasonable speed on the Touch's processor. Serving up web pages (and transcoding) are among the more CPU-intensive tasks that SC does -- ask anyone who has run SC on an underpowered NAS. I'm curious: what would you suggest cutting instead of the web server?

dave77
2009-09-03, 07:09
Why ? iPeng doesn't use the web interface, it uses the CLI just like the Controller does.

Not so bad then, I was thinking about the iPeng SC skin (and mobile access in general)

Well you've gotta cut *something* to make SC work at a reasonable speed on the Touch's processor. Serving up web pages (and transcoding) are among the more CPU-intensive tasks that SC does -- ask anyone who has run SC on an underpowered NAS. I'm curious: what would you suggest cutting instead of the web server?

Point taken. A scaled down web interface, just to control the music, would have been nice though

funkstar
2009-09-03, 07:32
Point taken. A scaled down web interface, just to control the music, would have been nice though
It's not just the web interface, it's running the web server as well. Most of the issue is being able to remove that whole portion of code from memory.

If the web interface is that important to you, then don't use a Touch as the server :)

aubuti
2009-09-03, 07:46
Ah, but for controlling music the SqueezeOS interface is much nicer, especially on the Touch's screen.

dave77
2009-09-03, 07:48
Ah, but for controlling music the SqueezeOS interface is much nicer, especially on the Touch's screen.

Not very portable though :)

What does the 'no transcoding' actually mean? Is it that it doesn't support all the file formats that the full SC does?

radish
2009-09-03, 07:53
Not very portable though :)

What does the 'no transcoding' actually mean? Is it that it doesn't support all the file formats that the full SC does?

It means that if you're using TinySC you'll only be able to play formats supported directly by the player in question. For example, I'm pretty sure none of the players support WMA Lossless so normally SC transcodes it to FLAC - TinySC won't do that.

tamanaco
2009-09-03, 08:14
Would it be correct to say that the Touch is a two-trick-pony. A dual-server client that can use an internal or external server? It has its own contained (limited) TinySC, but it can also be used with full SC 7.4 (Again limited functionality, but with a Web UI) and with SC 8.0 (Full Web UI functionality when available)

What's the current version of TinySC and what's the version that will be shipping with the Touch.

I just read that SC 8.01 is the target version that will support NTFS drives... is it safe to assume that this is a version of TinySC?

FredFredrickson
2009-09-03, 08:28
Would it be correct to say that the Touch is a two-trick-pony. A dual-server client that can use an internal or external server? It has its own contained (limited) TinySC, but it can also be used with full SC 7.4 (Again limited functionality, but with a Web UI) and with SC 8.0 (Full Web UI functionality when available)

What's the current version of TinySC and what's the version that will be shipping with the Touch.

I just read that SC 8.01 is the target version that will support NTFS drives... is it safe to assume that this is a version of TinySC?

It can work connected to local media (tinysc), squeeze network, or your own squeezebox server. So, yes, many tricks this pony knows!

As far as the version of TinySC.. I think it's a branch (i might be wrong here) of the regular sc.. so the numbering will be the same as the main one when it comes out.

I could be totally wrong here..

tamanaco
2009-09-03, 08:39
It can work connected to local media (tinysc), squeeze network, or your own squeezebox server. So, yes, many tricks this pony knows!

I see a three-trick-pony - I forgot about SN.

How about the USB port?... Does it sleep?... Meaning I'd like to turn off the Touch and get the Clock Screensaver from SN (one day hopefully we'll get the weather and stocks via an SN Screensaver) and have the USB port power down the external USB drive

Paul Webster
2009-09-03, 09:57
I think that this ability will be useful to more people than the new DAC.
I doesn't really come across in the press release - (perhaps because it might not be fully working when first models ship?) - but it changes many things.
While it will not stop the requests for UPnP Renderer ability in the device itself - it neatly side-steps it.

If one day the USB connected disk can be seen as a remote network drive (or some other relatively seamless process) so that copying new files to it will not require unplugging the disk and moving it to the PC ... or the Touch can see remote SAMBA drives ... then it will be even better.

I was going to get a Radio for a remote location - because of the built-in speaker ... but I think I have now changed my mind and a Touch it will be.

erland
2009-09-03, 10:00

I might be wrong, but as I've understood a connected USB drive will be shared with samba on the network, so it should be accessible from any PC connected to the network after you have entered the correct credentials. So the Touch pretty much works as a very simple NAS drive.

Matt Wise
2009-09-03, 10:04
That's correct... its currently enabled in the firmware by default. If
a USB or SD stick is connected, Samba starts up and shares each drive
that is available so that you can write directly to it via Samba. Its
not completely finished, but it should be there for launch, assuming
TinySC is there.

iPhone
2009-09-03, 10:23

Touch works now under the current Nightly, its just does not have every single feature or capability yet. Most work is focused on the Squeezebox Radio launch and getting a Gold SBS 7.4 released for the new unit.

SBS 8.0 will be the release for when Touch goes public.

Are you asking if the Touch when using local SC displays artwork on other devices? I will have to check, but I would think so as all the information is there when I use only a WiFi router, Touch, USB Drive, and a Boom. Boom plays and displays all normal info. I can have the Touch doing something else (playing different tunes locally) or displaying album art for what is playing on the Boom.

Remember that the Touch is a NMP but also acts as a Controller for itself or other Squeezeboxes on the network. When running local SC it will not control the early units, but all the late models. When SC is running on a server and that SC is selected, then it acts as a Player or Controller to all Players.

JJZolx
2009-09-03, 10:24
Its not completely finished, but it should be there for launch, assuming TinySC is there.

That sounds ominous. _If_ TinySC is there for launch?

andyg
2009-09-03, 10:59
One of the major changes to SC 8.0/TinySC that you may have seen a bit in the SQLite builds is a completely rewritten scanner. This is necessary because we need to support automatic change detection and minimal scanning of new files when things are added via Samba. This is one of the large chunks of work still left to be completed. We plan to start working on TinySC again next month after Radio is shipping.

JJZolx
2009-09-03, 11:05
we need to support automatic change detection

IMO, that's one of the things least needed and could easily wait until well after the product is launched.

andyg
2009-09-03, 11:10
Are you serious? The scanner on Touch is really slow, and it should "just work" when adding new files, not require the user to go and initiate a rescan. That's been a complaint about SC forever now... probably with many complaints from you even. :)

JJZolx
2009-09-03, 11:28
Are you serious? The scanner on Touch is really slow, and it should "just work" when adding new files, not require the user to go and initiate a rescan. That's been a complaint about SC forever now... probably with many complaints from you even.

Never from me. The "just works" part of any SD idea has always been a frightening proposition. Great on paper, but seldom realized.

I wasn't aware of how slow the scanner is on Touch. I've only tried it with a few hundred tracks.

autopilot
2009-09-03, 16:38
Yes, you will need to unplug the drive and connect it to a PC to copy files over, at least to begin with.

Not, it runs samba - you can copy the files over your network, i can confirm this works :)

dave77
2009-09-04, 01:21
It means that if you're using TinySC you'll only be able to play formats supported directly by the player in question. For example, I'm pretty sure none of the players support WMA Lossless so normally SC transcodes it to FLAC - TinySC won't do that.

So flac and MP3 would be okay?

I'm guessing TinySC won't support plugins?

Navier
2009-09-04, 02:04
It's not just the web interface, it's running the web server as well. Most of the issue is being able to remove that whole portion of code from memory.

If the web interface is that important to you, then don't use a Touch as the server :)

Or use SqueezePlay!

dave77
2009-09-04, 02:38

Or use SqueezePlay!

Sorry, I meant controlling from a mobile via the web interface (specifically Symbian which has no apps)

funkstar
2009-09-04, 03:02
Not, it runs samba - you can copy the files over your network, i can confirm this works :)
I really need to use TinySC again :)

Last time I had a play with it you couldn't do this. Thanks for the correction Auto!

radish
2009-09-05, 18:39
So flac and MP3 would be okay?

I'm guessing TinySC won't support plugins?

FLAC, mp3, Vorbis, etc would be fine on all players. Plugins I'm not sure about to be honest, I think not easily as there's no web interface to install/manage them with. But it's the same code as regular SC so I'm sure you could install them manually.

Navier
2009-09-06, 00:33
wouldn't it be fine a TinySC version for PC to have the minimun CPU/RAM load? It would be also great for those who already have a low-cpu-powered NAS!

mherger
2009-09-06, 01:01
> wouldn't it be fine a TinySC version for PC to have the minimun CPU/RAM
> load? It would be also great for those who already have a
> low-cpu-powered NAS!

"TinySC" rather than a product is a project name to make SC run on smaller
devices. It's the same code as run on Windows or any other device, just
with a few tweaks to its configuration. You'll be able to use the same
tweaks on your platform of choice by adding some command line parameters.

amcluesent
2009-09-06, 05:54
Will 'TinySC' still find and proxy DLNA servers and stream the music to the Touch itself and other players?

autopilot
2009-09-06, 09:11
Will 'TinySC' still find and proxy DLNA servers and stream the music to the Touch itself and other players?

No, only locally attached (usb) storage.

lrossouw
2009-09-06, 20:55
We will now have three sources of music. SC, TinySC and SN.

Something that has been bugging me is that I think the players (touch, radio and sb3, boom etc) should remember the sources and prioritise them. I would want my player to autoswitch between them. If SC is available connect there. If not try TinySC and then SN. Preferrably this should be transparrent. I.e. Music Library disappears if SC/TinySC are not available, without a jarring switch over. I.e. seeamless switching.

I just want to see the library appear and disappear and don't really care whether SN or SC is rendering the screen. Surely this has to be more userfriendly?

Obviously this would require some syncing of settings to work more seamlessly.

Mnyb
2009-09-06, 21:12

Something that has been bugging me is that I think the players (touch, radio and sb3, boom etc) should remember the sources and prioritise them. I would want my player to autoswitch between them. If SC is available connect there. If not try TinySC and then SN. Preferrably this should be transparrent. I.e. Music Library disappears if SC/TinySC are not available, without a jarring switch over. I.e. seeamless switching.

I just want to see the library appear and disappear and don't really care whether SN or SC is rendering the screen. Surely this has to be more userfriendly?

They are trying that with the 7.4 beta of the controller it is not "there" yet ? it does some auto switching when you least expect it, and it is a whole magnitude more confusing than manually choosing a source I try to understand what it does but fails there is no manual choice any more.

Btw they broken the wol function to.

Thats my user case if the player cant find my squeezeboxserver I sometimes want it to WOL the server and other times I want to use the network.
This can not be solved with some automagic system.

autopilot
2009-09-07, 01:44

Yep, thats the plan.

Peter Stockwell
2009-09-07, 07:20
That's correct... its currently enabled in the firmware by default. If
a USB or SD stick is connected, Samba starts up and shares each drive
that is available so that you can write directly to it via Samba. Its
not completely finished, but it should be there for launch, assuming
TinySC is there.

Currently I have an external usb drive, on my mac mini, where I store the music files.

I use iTunes to manage the content.

So, with a touch I could attach the usb drive to the touch. The mac can then be configured to see the drive on the network, and I can still use iTunes to manage the music files ? (That is, my itunes music files would be on the drive attached via usb to the Touch)

andynormancx
2009-09-07, 07:25
So, with a touch I could attach the usb drive to the touch. The mac can then be configured to see the drive on the network, and I can still use iTunes to manage the music files ? (That is, my itunes music files would be on the drive attached via usb to the Touch)
Yes :)

Peter Stockwell
2009-09-07, 07:33
OK, sign me up!

Mnyb
2009-09-09, 14:02
I see a "Tiny" problem source here.

A wireless Touch as a server, streaming to other wireless squeezeboxes.

This is the famous "not recommended double wireless hops" rigth in the box.
It is also the best case scenario.

Imagine a couple with two Touches, then we have an easy way to have "his" and "hers" own library on a different Touch ? thus making it easy to maintain two servers with different favorites playlists, everything.
Imagine cross streaming flac files between these touches for playback ;)
Add some extra receivers around the house of course wireless .
Then we have endless permutations of the multiple streams trough one AP problem.

I Agree that it will work fine in some cases especially for lossy content mp3 and AAC. And the scenario I outlined above is actually a good idea with a mostly wired network when all the Touches with a n USB disc is wired to the switch/router/whatever you have for a network.

I see a possible support and pr nightmare, people will build all kinds of "impossible" systems and expect them to work (new shiny digital must work even if I'm a moron) and as a consequence, whimper and whine on the forums.

Suggestion: to avoid "support hell" lock the "TinySC" server to the Ethernet port.

JJZolx
2009-09-09, 14:14
As someone else recently pointed out, with half-way decent wireless signals there should be no problems with two wireless hops between a server and one or more players. But if you're running into problems that can be attributed to wireless congestion or interference, then eliminating one hop can halve your exposure to those issues.

So it's only a potential problem. All networks will eventually run out of wireless bandwidth, depending on the health/speed of the wireless network and number of streams. It's a very large YMMV.

funkstar
2009-09-09, 15:15
Suggestion: to avoid "support hell" lock the "TinySC" server to the Ethernet port.
I can see that causing more problems than it solves.

I agree with Jim on this one.

Mnyb
2009-09-09, 15:31
Ok lets do the math for my system 3000kbps throughput steady to the SB3
16/44 flac file 3000/800 =3.75 .

I have 3 to 4 streams to use in total with my router.

Well it does go over 3000 sometimes but that is not a flat line as 3000 can be

andynormancx
2009-09-10, 01:45

Where is the second wireless hop ? If the Touch is getting its audio files from SD/USB then there is only a single wireless hop between the Touch and the other players.

JJZolx
2009-09-10, 01:53
Where is the second wireless hop ? If the Touch is getting its audio files from SD/USB then there is only a single wireless hop between the Touch and the other players.

To the wireless router and then to the player. Requires double the wireless bandwidth than if the Touch (or other SB Server) were wired to the router.

~~~~~ : wireless
----- : wired ethernet

Touch ~~~~~ Router ~~~~~ SB3 << this one
Touch ~~~~~ Router ----- SB3
Touch ----- Router ~~~~~ SB3
Touch ----- Router ----- SB3

Mark Lanctot
2009-09-10, 07:44

Good observation. I'm one of the "no multiple wireless hops" crusaders, perhaps even its poster boy. :-) Yes, it's not ideal.

But during the beta testing I've been running SC 7.4 on a wireless notebook, serving files from my SC 7.3.3 server which is wired to my wireless router. That's three hops to a wireless player! It works just fine, I've never had a problem with rebuffering, and I'm using an old 802.11g router separated one floor from the notebook with many competing networks around.

So it *can* work. It's just not something you should do, and it's the first thing to address when you get problems, because once you get problems there's not much you can do to fix them.

dave77
2009-09-10, 08:06
To the wireless router and then to the player. Requires double the wireless bandwidth than if the Touch (or other SB Server) were wired to the router.

~~~~~ : wireless
----- : wired ethernet

Touch ~~~~~ Router ~~~~~ SB3 << this one
Touch ~~~~~ Router ----- SB3
Touch ----- Router ~~~~~ SB3
Touch ----- Router ----- SB3

Does it definitely stream to the router then the other players? I remember reading that the Controller/Receiver can be 'optionally' set up so that the Controller goes straight to the Receiver rather than through the router. Maybe they have done or can do the same with the Touch?

aubuti
2009-09-10, 08:50
Does it definitely stream to the router then the other players? I remember reading that the Controller/Receiver can be 'optionally' set up so that the Controller goes straight to the Receiver rather than through the router. Maybe they have done or can do the same with the Touch?
Even the Duet arrangement you speak of goes through the router. In that case the SBR receives the SBC keypresses and passes them to the server (SC or SN) via a wired connection to the router. SC then translates the keypresses into commands and sends those commands back to the SBR via the router. It's designed for people who have no wifi network, or at least no wifi coverage where the SBC is being used. The SBR is too dumb to understand the keypresses of the SBC.

Although the Touch is a good deal smarter than the earlier generations of players, I would be very surprised if it could communicate with another IP network device without going through the router.

CliffC
2009-09-10, 18:47
Currently I have an external usb drive, on my mac mini, where I store the music files.

I use iTunes to manage the content.

Yes :)

And will Tiny SC still be able to access the iTunes Playlists as SC does now, i.e. will we be able to use iTunes just as we can now?

andyg
2009-09-10, 18:48
On Sep 10, 2009, at 9:47 PM, CliffC wrote:

>
> Peter Stockwell;455984 Wrote:
>> Currently I have an external usb drive, on my mac mini, where I store
>> the music files.
>>
>> I use iTunes to manage the content.
>>
>> So, with a touch I could attach the usb drive to the touch. The mac
>> can then be configured to see the drive on the network, and I can
>> still
>> use iTunes to manage the music files ? (That is, my itunes music
>> files
>> would be on the drive attached via usb to the Touch)
> andynormancx;455987 Wrote:
>> Yes :)
>
> And will Tiny SC still be able to access the iTunes Playlists as SC
> does now, i.e. will we be able to use iTunes just as we can now?

Why? If you want to use iTunes it means you have a computer running,
and you should be running the server on your computer, not Touch.

CliffC
2009-09-10, 19:11
Why? If you want to use iTunes it means you have a computer running,
and you should be running the server on your computer, not Touch.

Well, just like Peter I would like to still use iTunes for managing my music and my playlists, but then I'd like to be able to turn the computer off and let the Touch do it's thing. I'm particularly interested in the playlists because right now I think iTunes does a better job of creating and managing them, particularly with its Smart Playlists.

Nonreality
2009-09-10, 21:52
Are you serious? The scanner on Touch is really slow, and it should "just work" when adding new files, not require the user to go and initiate a rescan. That's been a complaint about SC forever now... probably with many complaints from you even. :)Andy I promise and double swear I have never complained about scan times and just working when I add files, so when is this coming now that you brought it up? :)

JJZolx
2009-09-10, 22:03
> Are you serious? The scanner on Touch is really slow, and it should "just
> work" when adding new files, not require the user to go and initiate a
> rescan. That's been a complaint about SC forever now... probably with
> many complaints from you even.

Andy I promise and double swear I have never complained about scan times and just working when I add files, so when is this coming now that you brought it up?

I believe that was directed at me and the statement that automatic scanning wasn't necessary. Apparently on very slow server platforms like the Touch it's seen as necessary.

andyg
2009-09-11, 04:39
On Sep 11, 2009, at 1:03 AM, JJZolx wrote:

>
> Nonreality;457137 Wrote:
>>
>>> Are you serious? The scanner on Touch is really slow, and it should
>> "just
>>> work" when adding new files, not require the user to go and initiate
>> a
>>> rescan. That's been a complaint about SC forever now... probably
>>> with
>>
>>> many complaints from you even.
>>
>> Andy I promise and double swear I have never complained about scan
>> times and just working when I add files, so when is this coming now
>> that
>> you brought it up?
>
> I believe that was directed at me and the statement that automatic
> scanning wasn't necessary. Apparently on very slow server platforms
> like the Touch it's seen as necessary.

This feature is coming so there's not much point in arguing about it.
The basics are already done, it just needs to be polished up. :)

bikerx
2009-09-11, 17:43
OK, another silly question...Would anything prevent you from connecting a NAS (e.g. an old Buffalo LinkStation) to the Touch with a USB to 10/100 BaseT adapter?

-Robert

elziko
2009-09-12, 01:11
OK, another silly question...Would anything prevent you from connecting a NAS (e.g. an old Buffalo LinkStation) to the Touch with a USB to 10/100 BaseT adapter?

-Robert

I imagine the Touch would not have drivers for the USB to Ethernet adapter so it wouldn't work.

JJZolx
2009-09-12, 01:16
I imagine the Touch would not have drivers for the USB to Ethernet adapter so it wouldn't work.

Even if it did, aren't those adapters are just for giving a network interface to a computer that doesn't have an network card & jack? The NAS would still be addressed as a network device, not a locally attached drive.

funkstar
2009-09-12, 03:36
Even if it did, aren't those adapters are just for giving a network interface to a computer that doesn't have an network card & jack? The NAS would still be addressed as a network device, not a locally attached drive.
Absolutely. These are for converting USB to Ethernet, not Ethernet to USB.

bikerx
2009-09-12, 04:58
OK...makes sense. I was just hoping to get some more life out of a hacked Linkstation that is still running Slimserver 6.x.x.

polocruz
2009-09-12, 09:50
Would the Touch's USB port support a USB CD reader? It would be great to be able to listen to CD's and maybe add future ripping capabilities?

Mark Lanctot
2009-09-12, 11:00
Would the Touch's USB port support a USB CD reader? It would be great to be able to listen to CD's and maybe add future ripping capabilities?

The device must be presented as a USB mass storage device, and AFAIK USB CD drives don't work that way.

funkstar
2009-09-12, 12:41
Sure. if you put package up the CD-ROM drivers and write an applet to control the CD playback. Patches welcome! :D