PDA

View Full Version : Help/Sad - SB3 just "bricked"

dwc
2009-09-02, 10:32
Hi All,

Sad day for me last week. One of my beloved SB3's just died. Last week I held on support phone line for an hour before a guy came on the line and told me it was a very busy support day and he'd take my number for a call back. No one ever called back. I am on the line again now listening to the techno/ambient hold music. I fear my player is out of the support period anyway. (The support period is one year?)

If the player is out of warranty, is there a way I can send this back for a paid repair? (can I beg for a sympathy credit? :)

(talking to a support rep now)

-Dan "Long Time SlimDevices Supporter/Evangelist" Carwin

Siduhe
2009-09-02, 11:01
The Logitech warranty is "your Logitech hardware product shall be free from defects in material and workmanship for two (2) years, beginning from the date of purchase." I believe this is worldwide, but it may depend where you purchased it (as local law requirements are different the world over)

It gets more complicated when you've purchased it from from a third party vendor, who normally only refund or exchange for one year, but the manufacturer warranty should still be valid for an additional 12 months.

Slim Devices (i.e. the division of Logitech based in the US) used to do out of warranty repairs for a $90 fee or similar, but not clear if this is still offered - others outside the US have reportedly been told by Logitech that repairs are not available. Let us know how you get on with support and others may be able to advise you.

Mnyb
2009-09-02, 11:11
Hi All,

Sad day for me last week. One of my beloved SB3's just died. Last week I held on support phone line for an hour before a guy came on the line and told me it was a very busy support day and he'd take my number for a call back. No one ever called back. I am on the line again now listening to the techno/ambient hold music. I fear my player is out of the support period anyway. (The support period is one year?)

If the player is out of warranty, is there a way I can send this back for a paid repair? (can I beg for a sympathy credit? :)

(talking to a support rep now)

-Dan "Long Time SlimDevices Supporter/Evangelist" Carwin

How bricked ? xilink reset or factory reset did not help ?
Mine been completely knackered after an upgrade no working display etc one of these resets fixed it

dwc
2009-09-02, 11:15
Thanks Siduhe,

Got escalated and spoke to second rep. Unfortunately the SB3's with the "Slimdevices" Logo (as opposed to the Logitech Logo) are not eligible for repair - even paid repair - at this point. The rep said the parts are not in inventory. [This is curious to me as the Classic sure looks like an SB3, but I guess they have changed internal parts...(?)]

So I cannot pay the $90 for a fix. I was offered a discount on a new purchase, pending my sending the dead unit back in. So the idea is that I send this SB3 back in with the RMA they emailed me, and then a sales rep will call me up and give me some kind of discount towards my next purchase.

The support rep didn't have all the details on the discount offer, so I will update this thread after I have sent the unit in and spoken to the rep who should call me shortly thereafter.

-Dan

dwc
2009-09-02, 11:31
How bricked ? xilink reset or factory reset did not help ?
Mine been completely knackered after an upgrade no working display etc one of these resets fixed it

Bricked in the sense that I get no display and Slimserver doesn't see the SB3 on power up.

Reset (holding + button) has no effect. I cross checked power supplies with my other SB# and the power supply is OK.

I wasn't familiar with Xilink reset (holding 1 button) until now, but I tried that too. Thanks for the suggestion.

FYI for others: here's the doc on resets:
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Hardware_Reset_commands

In the past I had a "display only" issue where the display died but the SB3 still showed up on the network. SD fixed that for me. In this case the SB3 seems completely non-functional, the only sign of life being the red light peeking out the back of the optical socket.

4mula1
2009-09-02, 11:42
In the good ole days there would be a post from Sean telling you how to fix it yourself.

After you fixed it we'd all chime in and say how awesome it is that the founder will post repair instructions on the forum.

Aaah, the good ole days...

This also causes me some concern as I have 2 SD SB3s and my parents have another one.

tcutting
2009-09-02, 11:45
You might try opening up and removing the wireless card. I recall seeing other threads where that allowed the SB3 to work (although if you need to run wireless, that's not much good!)

Secret Squirrel
2009-09-02, 11:49
Yeah, other threads have gone through this before. Many seem to have had their power brick pack up. Try testing the output from the power brick. You could search for the specs in the forum they're there several times and I don't recall them.

HTH,

SS

dwc
2009-09-02, 11:59
One weird disconnect between what the support rep said about not being able to repair my SB3 because there are not parts left is that Logitech is still selling (and thus still supporting) the last of the SlimDevice-logo'ed SB3's:

https://secure.slimdevices.com/products.php?product=Slim-Devices-Signature-Series-Squeezebox-Classic

dwc
2009-09-02, 12:36
Thanks for the suggestions.

Not sure if wireless card removal is going to be a reversible operation, but I can go in and take a look if I can find my torx bits. I'd hate to nuke my chance at repair. On my RMA printout I have asked the folks to repair if possible...

I did check the power supply, and it's OK. (My other SB3 runs fine on it)

-Dan

dwc
2009-09-02, 13:03
HAHAHA W00h000!!!!!!1101

It works with the wireless card removed!

(should I replace the wireless card with something, or just live the wired-only lifestyle?)

Thanks,
Dan

pfarrell
2009-09-02, 13:16
dwc wrote:
> HAHAHA W00h000!!!!!!1101
> It works with the wireless card removed!

That is great.

> (should I replace the wireless card with something, or just live the
> wired-only lifestyle?)

I'd drag the wire. Or try homeplug or something.
I believe that inside, it was just a commodity PCMCIA 11g card. If you
have one laying around, try it, but its not clear that its worth $25 to
try a new card

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

dwc
2009-09-02, 13:20
Thanks P,

Found this in one of Sean's old posts:

Atheros AR2413

radish
2009-09-02, 16:00
You could also (if you haven't already) try just reseating the wireless card. It may have had a dodgy connection.

Ikabob
2009-09-02, 18:03
I am having a difficult time believing that a company with the reputation as LOGITECH offers a product that it will not repair if necessary. LOGITECH is renowned throughout the world. I just purchased some Logitech products and was under the impression that LOGITECH stands behind these products. I have always recommended their products to my collegues. I am sorry but I just am having trouble believing that they do not stand behind these products. Are you absolutely sure that they will not repair your products? That locks you into buying a new product and they do have integrity and would not let that be their business practice. Thanks.

iPhone
2009-09-02, 19:58
I am having a difficult time believing that a company with the reputation as LOGITECH offers a product that it will not repair if necessary. LOGITECH is renowned throughout the world. I just purchased some Logitech products and was under the impression that LOGITECH stands behind these products. I have always recommended their products to my collegues. I am sorry but I just am having trouble believing that they do not stand behind these products. Are you absolutely sure that they will not repair your products? That locks you into buying a new product and they do have integrity and would not let that be their business practice. Thanks.

Logitech/Slim Devices most certainly stand behind Squeezebox Products! The current warranty coverage is Two Years Parts and Labor Warranty on the SB3. And I believe a flat rate charge of $90 to fix a broken unit out of warranty.

Now I think that is more then fair and in no way "locks you into buying a new product" if there is a failure. Most companies give you 90 days on electronics if you're lucky.

Eeyore69
2009-09-02, 20:40
dwc,

If your wireless card is bad read the thread in the DIY forum concerning converting a wired version to wireless; since this is my first post I am not allowed that privilege by forum rules. I will try another post with the link.

I found that the card can be found on eBay under Dell Inspiron 300M, 510M, 4000 or 5100. They go for about $15. Watch out for newer "N" cards, Broadcom chipsets and the card must be mini pci and not pci-e.

Good luck,

Eeyore

Eeyore69
2009-09-02, 20:42
dwc,

Here is the link to the thread mentioned in my last post:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/archive/index.php/t-34878.html .

Not sure if this is showing up as active; you might have to cut and paste.

Eeyore

Goodsounds
2009-09-02, 20:48

Things break, nothing lasts forever. These products are electronic, not stone. The two year period is generous and unusually long for products like this. Most electronic products have a much shorter manufacturers warranty than is provided for the Squeeze line.

Electronics manufacturers are in the business of making and selling products, not selling insurance policies. Assuming that a warranty period will never be "forever", what do you think would be reasonable?

If you want a longer warranty period, most retailers are more than happy to sell supplementary coverage. At least that is true in the US, I don't know where you are. But conventional wisdom is that purchasing such supplemental coverage is, on average, not worth it. (Except when it is, of course)

Eeyore69
2009-09-02, 20:55
dwc,

I don't see the posting with the link so here goes again:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/archive/index.php/t-34878.html .

Eeyore

Ikabob
2009-09-03, 01:57
Yes Goodsounds, I do agree. I know that LOGITECH would also even repair their products on a fee for service basis well beyond the warranty period if their customer had problems. Am I wrong in that? I am familiar with LOGITECH and they are a very highly reputable company. I recommend them to my collegues and I have many of their products. Thanks.

Ossian
2009-11-27, 23:22
About two month ago I had my Squeezebox2 fail on me after years of operating without a problem.
One day the Squeezebox would not turn on, similar to the description in this forum post. I could see that the device was getting power since the red LED was emitting from the optical audio port.
After searching the net for possible solutions to what might have happened (I thought the display might have gone bad), I came across a post suggesting that the WiFi card might be bad. After removing the Wifi card sure enough the Squeezebox display came back to life and I was able to communicate with it over a wired Ethernet connection.
The WiFi card used in my Squeezebox2 was a PCI style WiFi card with an Atheros AR5213A chip. In looking for a replacement I searched for possible compatible solutions.
The best solution that I found regularly available on ebay for about $12 (card and S/H) that appear to be 100% compatible with the Squeezebox is a "Samsung AR5004G AR5213A Wireless Wifi PCI BG card" available from accessory4you. The card that I needed to replace was a NL-3054MP PLUS ARIES2, the Samsung card even has the antenna connections in the same location, so the replacement/repair is a snap.
So far so good the Squeezebox is back up and running with WiFi. The important thing to note is the Atheros baseband IC AR5213A, if you have the chip and are experiencing similar problems chances are that the above-mentioned solution will work for you, and the nice thing is that the repair is easy and won't break the bank.
Good luck for anyone experiencing a similar problem,
Ossian

kanoot
2009-11-28, 08:16
Wow, thanks Ossian - that's *far* more information than Logitech has given me - I might give it a try.