PDA

View Full Version : New computer/router; connection problems!

postage22
2009-09-02, 06:22
I recently purchased a mac mini running Mac OS X 10.5, and a time capsule router (the same router hardware as an airport extreme). When i try to connect my SB3, it finds an IP address something like 172.16.43.1. My computers IP address is 10.0.2.1, so the SB3 never finds the music source. When I connect via ethernet, it finds the proper 10.0.2.1 address, and works fine. The router allows for 2 networks, a normal secured network (mine is configured with WPA/WPA2 security), and a "guest network", which is unsecured. The SB3 sees both networks, but when I connect through either, my music source doesn't appear.

I called logitech support, and they seemed confused that the router was "passing" this unusual IP address to the SB3. I am running squeezecenter 7.3.3, I have 2 SB3s and one of the original squeezeboxes.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

pski
2009-09-02, 08:19
I recently purchased a mac mini running Mac OS X 10.5, and a time capsule router (the same router hardware as an airport extreme). When i try to connect my SB3, it finds an IP address something like 172.16.43.1. My computers IP address is 10.0.2.1, so the SB3 never finds the music source. When I connect via ethernet, it finds the proper 10.0.2.1 address, and works fine. The router allows for 2 networks, a normal secured network (mine is configured with WPA/WPA2 security), and a "guest network", which is unsecured. The SB3 sees both networks, but when I connect through either, my music source doesn't appear.

I called logitech support, and they seemed confused that the router was "passing" this unusual IP address to the SB3. I am running squeezecenter 7.3.3, I have 2 SB3s and one of the original squeezeboxes.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the time-capsule does not have DHCP enabled for wireless. An "active" ethernet adapter has to have an address and they will make one up if necessary..

Alternately, it could have encryption enabled or could only be allowing N-type connections.
P

postage22
2009-09-03, 06:03
Resolved. Kind of.

For the benefit of those searching later here's what happened. See page 31 of this document.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Apple_AirPort_Networks_Early2009.pdf

It shows that the "guest" network has a 172.16.42.2 IP and the secured network has a 10.0.1.2 IP. The squeezebox always found the 172.16.42.2 address, even when you connected via the secured account. I disabled the guest account, leaving only the secured IP available to be found. SB did find it and everything worked fine. My new, albeit much smaller, problem is to see if the concept of a guest network on my router is possible.