PDA

View Full Version : Maximum File Limit? Squeezebox?

superduper27
2009-09-01, 16:18
Do any of the Squeezebox products have a maximum file limit??
Thanks!

pippin
2009-09-01, 16:23
No. The files are processed by the server software and whatever your server can hold will work.
Doesn't actually get faster with library size but I've seen users with low power systems like ReadyNAS and >50.000 tracks.
There are users with more than a quarter million of tracks.

superduper27
2009-09-01, 17:34
Oh wow, thanks for the heads up!
Im currently debating between the Sonos and the Squeezebox and it sounds like the Sonos works a little differently and has a Max file number of 65,000 files (possibly even less depending on filename length).

JeffHart
2009-09-01, 19:06
While it'll be awhile before I hit 65,000 tracks, have heard that Sonos can't do a random play from more than 10,000 tracks, which I am over. It's some pretty weird segues (think Mozart to Motorhead to Moby) when I put the whole library on random - much fun.

Cheers,
Jeff

pippin
2009-09-01, 23:02
Oh wow, thanks for the heads up!
Im currently debating between the Sonos and the Squeezebox and it sounds like the Sonos works a little differently and has a Max file number of 65,000 files (possibly even less depending on filename length).

Sonos has a different concept to the SB in that they run the server on each device. That has the advantage that you don't need a separate server but comes at the price of lower flexibility (and cost). After all, the device doesn't have a harddisk.
I also believe they replicate the database (the metadata, not the files) across the network, but I'm not sue about that.