PDA

View Full Version : Update to Squeezebox Lineup - When??

noahryan
2009-09-01, 03:11
Hi - In the market to buy a Squeezebox. Always want to buy the most recent version of a product and came across post below -- does anyone know timeline of updated Squeezebox Boom? When does Logitech typically release new product lines, maybe that is an indicator of a release date .... thanks

------------------------------

[b/c i'm new forum user i can't post links but this is the quote from the engadget site]
Cashing in on the all-things-touchscreen craze, word comes to us from ZatzNotFunny that Logitech will be bringing updates to its Squeezebox lineup which include refreshed Boom and Duet specs and the all-new pictured "Squeezebox Touch.

Squeezed_Rotel
2009-09-01, 06:13
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=67109&highlight=squeezebox+touch
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=64706

noahryan
2009-09-01, 07:13
Hi - thanks for the response ... was thinking about updated Squeezebox BOOOM update, any links on these? thanks so mcuh

andynormancx
2009-09-01, 07:40
Hi - thanks for the response ... was thinking about updated Squeezebox BOOOM update, any links on these? thanks so mcuh
There is no news on an update to the Boom. I'd be very surprised if it got an update any time soon. Go and buy ones ;)

iPhone
2009-09-01, 10:19
Hi - In the market to buy a Squeezebox. Always want to buy the most recent version of a product and came across post below -- does anyone know timeline of updated Squeezebox Boom? When does Logitech typically release new product lines, maybe that is an indicator of a release date .... thanks

------------------------------

[b/c i'm new forum user i can't post links but this is the quote from the engadget site]
Cashing in on the all-things-touchscreen craze, word comes to us from ZatzNotFunny that Logitech will be bringing updates to its Squeezebox lineup which include refreshed Boom and Duet specs and the all-new pictured "Squeezebox Touch.

Don't know of any up coming Boom updates. Its only about a year old. If it were me I would buy a Boom now. If I just had to be sure, I would wait a few days until the IFA in Berlin. If no new Boom shows up there, order a Boom.

noahryan
2009-09-02, 05:27
thanks very much for feedback, cheers

Boom Boom
2009-09-03, 05:34
Just noticed on cnet the announcement of a new Squeezebox Radio. Logitech already owns the Editors' Choice award for Wi-Fi radios with the Squeezebox Boom, but it looks as if the company may be competing with itself for the award with the newly announced Squeezebox Radio ($200 list price).

From the initial news release, the Squeezebox Radio looks to pack most of the functionality of the Boom into an even smaller package; that means you can stream your MP3 collection plus music services like Rhapsody, Napster, Pandora, Sirius, and Last.fm. It also one-ups the Boom by adding a color screen, and the capability to display album art, artist/track information, and Flickr slideshows. (Logitech will also offer a $50 supplement that adds a wireless remote and a battery pack for true cordless operation.)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10323421-1.html?tag=smallCarouselArea.0

clipper
2009-09-03, 07:36
In message <Boom.Boom.3xxte01251981363 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
Boom Boom <Boom.Boom.3xxte01251981363 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
writes

>It also one-ups the Boom by adding a color screen, and the capability
>to display album art, artist/track information, and Flickr slideshows.

Mono :-(
--
David

fuzzyT
2009-09-03, 12:25
David Livingstone wrote:

> Mono :-(

Hopefully there will be a BoomTouch launched in short order.

But what name?:

Boom 2
Boom Touch
Big Boom
Boom Boom
Flash Boom
Touchy Boom
Touch My Boom

Phil Leigh
2009-09-03, 14:56
In message <Boom.Boom.3xxte01251981363 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
Boom Boom <Boom.Boom.3xxte01251981363 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
writes

>It also one-ups the Boom by adding a color screen, and the capability
>to display album art, artist/track information, and Flickr slideshows.

Mono :-(
--
David

So what? I really don't get this point. You need at least 6-8 feet speaker seperation (+ a smilar distance between speakers and ears) to get anything like decent stereo imaging.

clipper
2009-09-03, 16:42
So what? I really don't get this point. You need at least 6-8 feet speaker seperation (+ a smilar distance between speakers and ears) to get anything like decent stereo imaging.

The point was the original poster was highlighting the additional features of the new device 'over' the Boom; I was pointing out the major drawback. It's obviously not Hi-fi, but I think you find most folk are impressed by the stereo & sound quality from the Boom, from such a small, compact device - are you not?

pfarrell
2009-09-03, 16:47
clipper wrote:
> It's obviously not Hi-fi, but I think you find most folk
> are impressed by the stereo & sound quality from the Boom, from such a
> small, compact device - are you not?

Er, HiFi has never meant stereo. Early "HiFI" setups were all mono. HiFi
is short for high fidelity.

I claim that both the Boom and the Radio are very much about high
fidelity music reproduction.

Neither is really about audiophile soundstaging, but that is a separate
issue.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

pablolie
2009-09-04, 07:17
on that note, many people connect a subwoo to the Boom to improve sound, especially when it comes to fill a bigger room (the Boom is impressively capable in doing do for a small device).

the question is - does the radio also offer a sub port?

Phil Leigh
2009-09-04, 09:55
The point was the original poster was highlighting the additional features of the new device 'over' the Boom; I was pointing out the major drawback. It's obviously not Hi-fi, but I think you find most folk are impressed by the stereo & sound quality from the Boom, from such a small, compact device - are you not?

Oh yes - I think the Boom is fantastic quality sound for its size/form factor - in fact I believe it to be best in class - but it has no real stereo soundstage and I don't mind or care about that.

Actually (to Pat's point) I would say it is good "Hi-Fi"...but near mono soundstaging - which is fine by me. The Boom Radio sounds (nearly) as good and given the limited imaging of the Big Boom there is actually very little difference with the Baby Boom. I'd rather listen to competent mono than poor stereo any day!

Phil Leigh
2009-09-04, 09:58
clipper wrote:
> It's obviously not Hi-fi, but I think you find most folk
> are impressed by the stereo & sound quality from the Boom, from such a
> small, compact device - are you not?

Er, HiFi has never meant stereo. Early "HiFI" setups were all mono. HiFi
is short for high fidelity.

I claim that both the Boom and the Radio are very much about high
fidelity music reproduction.

Neither is really about audiophile soundstaging, but that is a separate
issue.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/

Totally agree. Stereo is an artifical, compromised (but quite good) attempt at high fidelity anyway. Mono can have just as much fidelity. After all, before 1960-ish there was no domestic "stereo" source material anyway...

method man
2009-09-06, 17:45
i have a boom. its great. sounds good. lets no call it hi-fi tho. if you think what a boom sounds like is a high fidelity reproduction of the original artist you might like to listen to a decent hi-fi. you will be blown away.

barcar
2009-09-11, 01:51
I love the Boom, I've replaced a few older "classic" SqueezeBoxes with them.

Acoustically I have no complaints but it's weak spot has always been the display - not big enough compared to the Classic and now looking old next to the Radio.

So the obvious next step is a Boom v2 with an upgraded display like the Radio.

I was just planning to replace another Classic & powered speakers combo with a Boom but I think I'll wait now... I'd buy a Boom v2 with a colour display like the Radio in a heartbeat. No need for the touch interface in this form factor.

Phil Leigh
2009-09-11, 10:58
i have a boom. its great. sounds good. lets no call it hi-fi tho. if you think what a boom sounds like is a high fidelity reproduction of the original artist you might like to listen to a decent hi-fi. you will be blown away.

Hence my use of "Hi-Fi" in quotes...

I think I know what "a decent hi-fi" sounds like.

I get blown away most days. :-)

method man
2009-09-11, 14:03
Hence my use of "Hi-Fi" in quotes...

I think I know what "a decent hi-fi" sounds like.

I get blown away most days. :-)

but i wasnt referring to you phil. it was a post before
saying that it was very much all about hi fidelity. which as you know is incorrect.