PDA

View Full Version : iPlayer missing paralled programmes

SuffolkPunch
2009-09-01, 00:05
Hi,

At 09:45 on weekdays BBC radio 4 broadcasts two different programmes in parallel: one on FM only, the other on LW only. My iPlayer plugin sees just the LW programme; the BBC website's iPlayer offers only the FM programme. What's up??

My system's details:

BBC iPlayer v0.07

Version: 7.3.3 - 27044 @ Mon Jun 15 15:14:08 PDT 2009
Operating system: Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Platform Architecture: 586
Perl Version: 5.8.8 - MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
MySQL Version: 5.0.22-community-nt

Martin

bpa
2009-09-01, 00:29
Can you provide specific details of the programme so they can be checked,

SuffolkPunch
2009-09-01, 02:00
An example of the programmes is:

Monday 31st Aug
09:45am Book of the Week - Newton And The Counterfeiter (FM only)
09:45am The Daily Service (LW only)

Martin

SuffolkPunch
2009-09-01, 02:20
I've just upgraded the BBC iPlayer plugin to v0.9a; but still don't get Book of the Week listed at 09:45 on Monday 31st Aug.

The 'Daily Service' is listed at that time, but *doesn't* play (no 'connecting' or 'buffering', and squeezecenter displays no URL). The (FM) programmes before and after do play ok (and squeezecenter does display a URL).

Martin

bpa
2009-09-01, 02:32
On BBC iPlayer there is a separate link (in small letters) to link to Radio 4 LW programs. So the main page has the FM programs but the LW programs are listed separately.

On the Plugin all the BBC Radio 4 programs both FM and LW are sent by BBC in one XML list and I think the plugin creates the daily lists by collating all the entries. Since there are two entries at 9.45 - the second entry (from R4 LW) takes the slots.

I supposed the solution would be to either have multiple entries for a time slot or else like iPlayer have a separate page for the small number of LW programs.

The "Missing" programs on the BBCiPlayer daily menu are shown in the full listing (e.g. Book of the day - Newton) so nothing is missing - just not all in the daily schedule.

SuffolkPunch
2009-09-01, 03:27
Thanks! I can now listen to 'Book of the Week'.

The (few) LW programmes don't play (no URL in SqueezeCenter). Examples are: Shipping Forecast, Act of Worship and Daily Service. Is that easily fixable?

Martin

bpa
2009-09-01, 03:40
The LW program play for me OK.

What version of iPlayer are you using ? Should be 0.9 or 0.9a

SuffolkPunch
2009-09-01, 06:43
I'm using v0.9a. Not a problem, as I don't ever listen to R4 LW.

Triode
2009-09-01, 11:08
They are separate entries in the same bbc xml feed. The default configuration of iplayer includes all programs in the feed, with the duplicate entries filtered out - this may be a mistake.. If you want separate listings, then you can edit the menu.opml file to have the following in place of the current radio 4 entry. Let me know what people think of this, should this config be the default or do most people prefer to have the two menus mixed.

<outline text="Radio 4 FM" URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/availability/radio4.xml?fm"
icon="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/img/radio/bbc_radio_four.gif"
parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayer::BBCXMLParser?byday&amp;bykey&amp;reve rsedays&amp;reverse&amp;filter:service=fm" />
<outline text="Radio 4 LW" URL="http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/availability/radio4.xml?lw"
icon="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/img/radio/bbc_radio_four.gif"
parser="Plugins::BBCiPlayer::BBCXMLParser?byday&amp;bykey&amp;reve rsedays&amp;reverse&amp;filter:service=lw" />

SuffolkPunch
2009-09-02, 03:29
Thanks Triode.
Where is menu.opml located? Can't find it on my Win XP system.

Belay that question - found it!

martin

SuffolkPunch
2009-09-02, 04:24
They are separate entries in the same bbc xml feed. The default configuration of iplayer includes all programs in the feed, with the duplicate entries filtered out - this may be a mistake.. If you want separate listings, then you can edit the menu.opml file to have the following in place of the current radio 4 entry. Let me know what people think of this, should this config be the default or do most people prefer to have the two menus mixed.

I prefer separate listings. The advantage of separate FM and LW schedules is you get both listings for two programmes broadcast at the same time. E.g. "Book of the Week - Newton etc" now appears in the FM listings at 09:45, whereas before it didn't (at least for me it didn't!).

Martin

Triode
2009-09-02, 13:03
So to confirm - you get all the programs you expect with the change?

SuffolkPunch
2009-09-03, 00:41
Yes.