PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox, Firmware update failed, now what?



Sally Shears
2004-06-21, 20:47
Present State:
- Squeezebox starts
- Displays "Bad seq in dll..."
- Displays "Ready to update firmware, ip is 192.168.1.50"
- ...and won't do anything else.

What I've tried:
- Following the FAQ, I have updated the firmware over ethernet using
SlimServer ver. 5.0.0, 5.1.5, and 5.1.6 June 21. Multiple times. All
with the same result.
- Yes, it's connected by ethernet, my server machine is on the same
subnet, the updater page finds the squeezebox, the Squeezebox display
says "Updating Firmware," and the updater page says "Firmware
updated," then I see the above on the squeezebox. I think I did it
all.

How we got here:
1. Downloaded new SlimServer 5.1.6 June 21 build and the latest
numbered release 5.1.5.
2. Installed 5.1.5 on my server Mac OS X 10.2.8 (It's a WallStreet,
so can't do Panther.)
3. Started SlimServer
4. Restarted Squeezebox with the Powerbutton.
5. Squeezebox said "Need to update firmware, hold down the
brightness." I did so.
6. Updating firmware... Then restarting... "Bad seq in dll..." and
here we are.

What's the route out of this trap?

-- Sally

Sally Shears
2004-06-21, 21:01
At 11:47 PM -0400 6/21/04, Sally Shears wrote:
>What I've tried:
> - Following the FAQ, I have updated the firmware over ethernet
>using SlimServer ver. 5.0.0, 5.1.5, and 5.1.6 June 21. Multiple
>times. All with the same result.
> - Yes, it's connected by ethernet, my server machine is on the same
>subnet, the updater page finds the squeezebox, the Squeezebox
>display says "Updating Firmware," and the updater page says
>"Firmware updated," then I see the above on the squeezebox. I think
>I did it all.

Oops... Also, unplugged the Squeezebox for several seconds and
repeated the above several times.

What next?

-- Sally

seanadams
2004-06-22, 10:15
Sally,

Sorry it's not working right. On step #6 below, two questions:

- For about how long does is say "Updating firmware"? It should take
about 5 seconds.
- After that (before restarting), does it say "The update was
successful"?

Also:

- Can you try pulling out the wireless card? I am trying to track down
a possible bug in the wireless driver which seems to affect just some
squeezeboxes.


On Jun 21, 2004, at 8:47 PM, Sally Shears wrote:

> Present State:
> - Squeezebox starts
> - Displays "Bad seq in dll..."
> - Displays "Ready to update firmware, ip is 192.168.1.50"
> - ...and won't do anything else.
>
> What I've tried:
> - Following the FAQ, I have updated the firmware over ethernet using
> SlimServer ver. 5.0.0, 5.1.5, and 5.1.6 June 21. Multiple times. All
> with the same result.
> - Yes, it's connected by ethernet, my server machine is on the same
> subnet, the updater page finds the squeezebox, the Squeezebox display
> says "Updating Firmware," and the updater page says "Firmware
> updated," then I see the above on the squeezebox. I think I did it
> all.
>
> How we got here:
> 1. Downloaded new SlimServer 5.1.6 June 21 build and the latest
> numbered release 5.1.5.
> 2. Installed 5.1.5 on my server Mac OS X 10.2.8 (It's a WallStreet,
> so can't do Panther.)
> 3. Started SlimServer
> 4. Restarted Squeezebox with the Powerbutton.
> 5. Squeezebox said "Need to update firmware, hold down the
> brightness." I did so.
> 6. Updating firmware... Then restarting... "Bad seq in dll..." and
> here we are.
>
> What's the route out of this trap?
>
> -- Sally
>

Sally Shears
2004-06-22, 18:47
Sean --

1. On the first update (which was wireless), I don't know how long
it took and whether it said "successful" or not.
2. On the subsequent updates (ethernet, 192.168.1.50), the updating
process takes about 5 seconds as expected, and the firmware.html web
page reports "Firmware updated." The Squeezebox says, "Updating
firmware" then "Bad build seq in dll: x" then "Ready to update...
192.168.1.50"

Getting out my screwdriver... Removed four screws to open the box,
removed the wireless card... Updated firmware via ethernet using 6/22
build.

Nuts... Same result. I'll talk to Kevin.

-- Sally

At 10:15 AM -0700 6/22/04, Sean Adams wrote:
>Sally,
>
>Sorry it's not working right. On step #6 below, two questions:
>
>- For about how long does is say "Updating firmware"? It should take
>about 5 seconds.
>- After that (before restarting), does it say "The update was successful"?
>
>Also:
>
>- Can you try pulling out the wireless card? I am trying to track
>down a possible bug in the wireless driver which seems to affect
>just some squeezeboxes.
>
>
>On Jun 21, 2004, at 8:47 PM, Sally Shears wrote:
>
>>Present State:
>> - Squeezebox starts
>> - Displays "Bad seq in dll..."
>> - Displays "Ready to update firmware, ip is 192.168.1.50"
>> - ...and won't do anything else.
>>
>>What I've tried:
>> - Following the FAQ, I have updated the firmware over ethernet
>>using SlimServer ver. 5.0.0, 5.1.5, and 5.1.6 June 21. Multiple
>>times. All with the same result.
>> - Yes, it's connected by ethernet, my server machine is on the
>>same subnet, the updater page finds the squeezebox, the Squeezebox
>>display says "Updating Firmware," and the updater page says
>>"Firmware updated," then I see the above on the squeezebox. I
>>think I did it all.
>>
>>How we got here:
>> 1. Downloaded new SlimServer 5.1.6 June 21 build and the latest
>>numbered release 5.1.5.
>> 2. Installed 5.1.5 on my server Mac OS X 10.2.8 (It's a
>>WallStreet, so can't do Panther.)
>> 3. Started SlimServer
>> 4. Restarted Squeezebox with the Powerbutton.
>> 5. Squeezebox said "Need to update firmware, hold down the
>>brightness." I did so.
>> 6. Updating firmware... Then restarting... "Bad seq in dll..." and
>>here we are.
>>
>>What's the route out of this trap?
>>
>> -- Sally
>>