PDA

View Full Version : I will pay you to fix this

jdulltasha
2009-08-29, 22:57
The player is the older squeezebox slim server downstairs.
It has in "now playing" the song that the computer says it is playing. no sound comes out after one song. The first song plays and then nothing. Run upstairs to computer and song plays along.

No problem on recieving the music, running downstairs, the song names appear when the song, running upstairs to computer, shows on the screen. Running downstairs, as the song ends, the next song on the playlist shows playing going from 0:00 to 3:51 or however long the song is.

Running downstairs a double check of analog connecttors to AUX connectors on back of Denon work and work fine. AFter all, every month or three, i turn it on, it plays one song, and then no longer plays.

I will pay someone $100.00 in cash to come to my house and fix this. Or I will sell this 299.00 paperweight for $100. Thank god I have a CD player and an ipod.

The Klipsch and Bose speakers play well. Too bad the audiophile who recommended the slim server lives in Berkely and I live in the city.

How about it, anyone want to earn $100??

SuperQ
2009-08-30, 00:15
The BART is still running, sounds like you need to get your friend to fix it. :)

The other option is you could call support, they're good at debugging these kinds of things.

You couldn't pay me enough to deal with your apparent attitude. If you had seemed more polite I might have offered to swing by and help debug it for free.

amcluesent
2009-08-30, 00:23
LOL. I can't even understand the problem from your description, although it's clear your house has a stair.

Platform, s/w versions, wi-fi or wired...?

mkanet
2009-08-30, 02:08
Huh? You probably would get more help if you do a better job explaining what wrong. "The player is the older squeezeblox slimserver downstairs"?? I actually had to read that sentence a few times; and still couldnt make sense of it. LOL. Where do you live exactly?

The player is the older squeezebox slim server downstairs.
It has in "now playing" the song that the computer says it is playing. no sound comes out after one song. The first song plays and then nothing. Run upstairs to computer and song plays along.

No problem on recieving the music, running downstairs, the song names appear when the song, running upstairs to computer, shows on the screen. Running downstairs, as the song ends, the next song on the playlist shows playing going from 0:00 to 3:51 or however long the song is.

Running downstairs a double check of analog connecttors to AUX connectors on back of Denon work and work fine. AFter all, every month or three, i turn it on, it plays one song, and then no longer plays.

I will pay someone $100.00 in cash to come to my house and fix this. Or I will sell this 299.00 paperweight for $100. Thank god I have a CD player and an ipod.

The Klipsch and Bose speakers play well. Too bad the audiophile who recommended the slim server lives in Berkely and I live in the city.

How about it, anyone want to earn $100??

toby10
2009-08-30, 03:33
Look on the bright side, you are getting some good exercise. :)

Siduhe
2009-08-30, 07:32
There's a good chance you won't even need to spend $100, lots of support (from users, not official!) here and official support on support@slimdevices.com.

However, to help you, we need some basic info:

what version of Squeezecenter are you running?
What OS is it running on?
What version are your players (Classic, Boom, SLIMP?)
How are the players connected to Squeezecenter - wireless/wired?
What format are the files you are trying to play - especially what bitrate? Does it happen for local files or just music services like Rhapsody or Napster?
Have you checked that both players have individual IP addresses (look in the web interface Settings/Information)
Have you tried running the Network Test (WebUI/Settings/Help)? What were the results?

This will give us a basic idea of how your setup works and will help narrow down whether this is hardware/software/setup issue.

Re other posts above, not everyone is posting in their first language - not always the easiest to describe things and get the sense of what you are trying to say across. But certainly true you catch "more flies with honey than with vinegar" (c) my grandmother...

jdulltasha
2009-08-30, 11:04
Thank you for the replies. Hope this clarifies. The little box that is connected to the Denon is the squeezebox slimserver (the website says it goes by either name) that I refer to. And yes is a little bit attitude due to fatigue with electronics not working, although I was able to get the XM radio to work. Sometimes I get upset at myself that I have to hire someone to fix things, because I never got around to getting married, then I get upset because I know that that isn't what husbands are for, and then I get worried that I get upset because I know I shouldn't. Anyway. I do not handle frustration well sometimes. Apologies. I live in south s.f. in my house. It is now playing a playlist. It played internet radio earlier this morning.

The computer with the 1,000 cds on it is upstairs and that is where I try to "drive" the squeezebox slimserver player. The firmware is new, updated it last night when I plugged it in again. It plays one song off the playlist and stops. But when I go upstairs to look at the p.c. (yes, no apple) to see why, the screen shows that the song is playing. But when I look at the player it show the song in "now playing" but no sound. I gave up last night. This morning I turn it on and it works. Later today I'll turn it on and it will only play one song and then no sound. If you keep hitting "play" on the remote it just shuffles, no sound. It therefore "works intermittintly".

I can't believe so many people responded. Thank you for your patience. :-)

avta
2009-08-30, 14:55
Hello. It may be your wireless connection which is what I presume you use. Get a " crossover ethernet cable " at Radio Shack or eBay and connect you Squeezebox to your computer which is what I think you are describing as your way of playing music i.e. computer with ripped cd's or downloaded music files>wireless connection to Squeezebox>Denon receiver>speakers. Have I got it right? You will have to go through Squeezebox setup again but this time choose " Wired " or " Ethernet " type of connection rather than wireless. This would help clarify if the problem is the wireless network. Keep us posted.

iPhone
2009-08-30, 21:47
Thank you for the replies. Hope this clarifies. The little box that is connected to the Denon is the squeezebox slimserver (the website says it goes by either name) that I refer to.

What website says its a "Squeezebox Slimserver"? We need to know which squeezebox you have connected to your Dennon? Look at the top of this PAGE (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/HardwareComparison) at the pictures and tell us which unit you have. The price point sounds like a Classic though.

Next, what version of Squeeze Center are you running and on what Computer/Operating System? What file type are you trying to play (MP3, FLAC, WAV, WMA)?

Also are you running a firewall or active virus protection?

Also how is the played connected to the Computer upstairs: wired by Ethernet or using wireless WiFi?

Without being there, we are going to need exact answers to the questions we ask to start helping and eliminating what it isn't. But without more exact details, it could be any of several things.

SuperQ
2009-08-30, 22:34
I can't believe so many people responded. Thank you for your patience. :-)

It does sound like you have intermittent wifi signal issues. This is a fairly common problem and isn't always easy to solve. Much of the time-of-day issues is likely due to the large number of neighbors all using the same wifi radios all day in the bay area.

iPhone
2009-09-02, 10:10
Has your problem been resolved? Did you email or call Tech Support yet?

If not fixed, take a couple of minutes to answer the questions that where asked in as much detail as you can.