PDA

View Full Version : Internet over CableTV wiring instead of wireless

garym
2009-08-29, 07:58
A common theme of problems with squeezeboxes is the use of wireless. I've learned the hard way that my squeezeboxes are much more sensitive to having a strong wireless signal than, for example, my laptop computer. I had a location with a wired CableTV outlet but no hardwired internet. Searching around I found references to MoCa (internet over cable). The logic is the same as the internet over powerline, but evidently not all wiring supports powerline plugs. I purchased the netgear version (see link) and in 10 minutes I had it up and running. Works beautifully and doesn't interfere with TV (HD digital, etc.). I'm not connected with Netgear, just happy with this product.

http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-MCAB1001-Coax-Ethernet-Adapter-Black/dp/B001N85NMI

maggior
2009-08-29, 08:55
I have come to a similar conclusion as you. I find that the Boom and SB3 do fine in my house with wireless, but the SBR is much more finicky. The one in my kitchen didn't have a chance since it sat next to the microwave.

It's great that these MOCA adaptors work for you, but did you check out powerline? Even the fast 200kbps ones are half the price of the MOCA adaptors. I purchased these and they work great:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AGM2VI

Even these are overkill for streaming audio.

Yes, you have cable where your SB is, but you also have an outlet.

If you think powerline might work in your environment, you might want to give these a try and if they work send you MOCA adaptors back.

garym
2009-08-29, 09:18
Good point. They are pricey. I'm sure they'll get cheaper over time like all technology. But with my CD/music purchasing habit, equipment like this is rounding error ....

crawform
2009-08-29, 13:03
Good point. They are pricey. I'm sure they'll get cheaper over time like all technology. But with my CD/music purchasing habit, equipment like this is rounding error ....

You can find a much cheaper alternative on eBay (which I've been running for about two years) with a simple MOCA box. I've been running these boxes with a tivo, xbox, squeezebox, etc. with no performance problems. Search for Motorola NIM100. Prices vary from 30 to 60 per box. From what I understand, Verizon formerly needed two separate pieces of equipment, which is now integrated into its new Fios box. As a result, someone has been dumping these MOCA bridges on ebay. You essentially need one of these bridges at your cable modem location, plus one for each room in which you want to leverage an existing cable connection for a wired ethernet connection.