PDA

View Full Version : ? rec HD TV on PC, best way? linux? win? mac?

MrSinatra
2009-08-27, 22:04
i know this forum has some of the best and brightest gearheads, so here's the questions:

if someone were to wire their house with ethernet wiring, and was willing to invest in a decent computer, what is the best solution to record HD TV and serve it via ethernet to TVs in the home?

i am assuming linux will be the cheapest, both as OS and as PVR app.

so mythtv? freevo? something else? can i DL an iso, install it, and be ready to go? (know very little about linux)

assuming USA, and assuming cable TV, what tuner cards? do they work with "cable cards?" what about the move from analog cable to digital cable?

does the app that records the show, also serve the show out? via upnp? dlna? other? what client or media adapter do you need on the other end of the ethernet from the server?

i know some of you have got something going already, interested to hear what you think! :)

MrSinatra
2009-08-27, 22:24
i did find this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_PVR_software_packages

but i am curious as to experts experiences.

Sike
2009-08-27, 23:42
Hi

I have been fiddling about with a Windows Media Center for a while now with Vista. I just upgraded to Windows 7 and things work perfectly, even with HD channels and HD files.

I don't live in the US, but accroding to many threads on www.thegreenbutton.com I think Windows is the only OS that supports Cablecards. I have also heard it is a real pain to install them..

david_f1976
2009-08-28, 02:09
i know this forum has some of the best and brightest gearheads, so here's the questions:

if someone were to wire their house with ethernet wiring, and was willing to invest in a decent computer, what is the best solution to record HD TV and serve it via ethernet to TVs in the home?

i am assuming linux will be the cheapest, both as OS and as PVR app.

so mythtv? freevo? something else? can i DL an iso, install it, and be ready to go? (know very little about linux)

assuming USA, and assuming cable TV, what tuner cards? do they work with "cable cards?" what about the move from analog cable to digital cable?

does the app that records the show, also serve the show out? via upnp? dlna? other? what client or media adapter do you need on the other end of the ethernet from the server?

i know some of you have got something going already, interested to hear what you think! :)

I currently have a MythTV setup but only for SD. I went with this because of cost and flexibility (when I last checked Windows MCE can't record and then share those recordings over a network in a user-friendly way), but it is a hell of a learning curve (I pretty much knew no Linux when I started). However, there is now Mythbuntu which combines MythTV with Ubuntu and this is probably the easiest MythTV way of getting started, but still be prepared for a lot of reading and frustration.

MythTV is split into two parts. The backend which acts as the PVR controlling and hosting recordings. This doesn't have to be too powerful. The frontend is for watching the recordings. However, I use XBMC (using the MythTV protocol) or my Popcorn Hour over Samba to view recordings (Although Myth has UPnP, it is too unreliable for MythTV for me). On Linux, even for HD stuff, frontends don't need to be too powerful these days because of VDPAU. Look out for Ion-based boards (Atom processors with NVidia graphics).

That should be a starting point if you decide to go down the Linux route

radish
2009-08-28, 09:56
If you're getting your tv from cable you really need cable cards. And that means a pre-built WMS box (at least it did last time I checked). Personally I use HD Tivos, they're very reliable, not particularly expensive and work with cable cards pretty well. One thing to bear in mind is that cable companies are technically backwards, and if you're trying to get them to hook up something they're not familiar with you'll have a hell of a time. Path of least resistance works for me :)

exile
2009-08-28, 11:28
my set up is a mac mini with an external 500 gig drive.

moca ethernet adapter for fast ethernet into the mini. and plenty of ram.

i don't record anything. i just watch all shows from the web and so far it's been a flawless system.