PDA

View Full Version : Can you sync or un-sync on SN? Also, Buffering question?

Ikabob
2009-08-25, 04:14
Can you sync or un-sync on SN? or/and on SC? Thanks. Also, what is the optimal Radio Station Buffer Seconds....1-30? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

Mnyb
2009-08-25, 04:32
Sync is working much better on local SC as opposed to SN .

Reason the stream get proxied at you local server only one stream from the internet, if you try to sync several players on SN without you local server you get one stream per player. Internet being what it is you can expect some lag and delays. Perfect sync can only be guaranteed with local SC and hardware players.
And you save bandwidth, maybe your internet downlink get problems with to many players ?

And some music service's only supports a limited quota of simultaneous streams.
I would not now in detail as must services are unavailable where I'm living.

Station buffer, hmm that's are very dependent on circumstances your internet vs the radio station ? experiment.

/Mikael

toby10
2009-08-25, 09:08
You must sync the players via SC or by the player menu's themselves, no setting for sync on SN UI.
I always set all players to max buffer (30 seconds) for both SC and SN.
Advantage = less (rarely any) buffering during station playback.
Disadvantage = longer initial "load" time per station (takes 7 seconds to start playing instead of 3 seconds).
Using rough guesstimates on load time here, never measured it. Not aware of any other drawbacks to max buffer setting.

Mnyb
2009-08-25, 09:47
You must sync the players via SC or by the player menu's themselves, no setting for sync on SN UI.
I always set all players to max buffer (30 seconds) for both SC and SN.
Advantage = less (rarely any) buffering during station playback.
Disadvantage = longer initial "load" time per station (takes 7 seconds to start playing instead of 3 seconds).
Using rough guesstimates on load time here, never measured it. Not aware of any other drawbacks to max buffer setting.

But you can sync players that are on SN, via the player menu or controller.
But it is less likely to work well . By that i mean the play the same thing and obeys the controlls but the sync could be of a bit.
maybe time to max out the buffer I find Deezer prone to drop outs, most other things is working fine.

toby10
2009-08-25, 14:53
But you can sync players that are on SN, via the player menu or controller.
But it is less likely to work well . By that i mean the play the same thing and obeys the controlls but the sync could be of a bit.
maybe time to max out the buffer I find Deezer prone to drop outs, most other things is working fine.

Yes, I mentioned syncing via the player menu's for SN use, just not the SN UI. :)
If the rooms that contain the synced players are far enough apart most would never hear the drift from SN playback.
Also, one of *many* drawbacks of SN (compared to SC) is that many of the Music Services cannot be played on multiple players via SN.

andyg
2009-08-25, 14:57
The main problems with sync on SN are internet radio streams and Last.fm.

Here is the list of what is supported for sync on SC vs SN: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Synchronization