PDA

View Full Version : Sort order of the Artists by First name

Bert0123
2009-08-24, 07:05
Hi,

When I browse by Artist in Squeezecenter or on my Boom all Artists are sorted by their family name. But I want to have them sorted, just as I tagged them, by first name.

I found a setting "Articles To Ignore When Sorting, The El La Los Las Le Les" but this is not what I mean.

Does anybody know which setting this causes?
Rescanning takes a lot of time so maybe someone can point me tot the good direction.

Thanks, Bert

aubuti
2009-08-24, 07:38
You need to re-check your tags. In particular, it sounds as if you have ARTSISTSORT tags that are filled with "Last, First". If ARTISTSORT tags are present then SC uses them (logically enough) for sorting instead of the ARTIST tag. Use a good tagging program like mp3tag to reveal *all* the tags in your files and you'll probably find this is the source of your problem.

Note: It's called ARTISTSORT (or alternatively, ARTISTSORTORDER) for FLAC or Ogg files. For MP3 files there's a different tag name, but I don't know what it is.

Bert0123
2009-08-24, 08:10
Thanks I think you are right.

I checked in MP3Tag with an affected album and it is exactly as you said.
Now, Is there a batch process that changes it to "first, last"?
It is undoable to do this for all albums manually . . .

Teus de Jong
2009-08-24, 08:16
If you don't want to use the artistsortorder, the best thing is to remove the whole tag. This can be done in Mp3Tag (if your library is not too large, you can load the complete library, go to Extended View and delete artistsortorder).

Teus

Bert0123
2009-08-24, 08:29
Thanks Teus,

I did my first 200 albums (Flac) this way, so gladly not everything.
If I remove the tag completely, is it undoable in the future?

Isn't there a way to mass tag them with wildcards containing "first,last" for all albums?

aubuti
2009-08-24, 09:50
Yes, if you remove the tag completely there is no problem with adding it again at a later time. As Teus says, if you are happy with the sorting you get from your ARTIST tag, the best thing is to keep it simple and remove all of the ARTISTSORT tags. If you are determined to populate the ARTISTSORT tag then you could easily copy the contents of ARTIST over to ARTISTSORT.

Since you already have the "first last" in ARTIST, I don't understand why you need some "action" (what mp3tag calls such macros) with wildcards to achieve what you already have. But maybe I'm not understanding what you want.

Bert0123
2009-08-24, 11:37
Well, if I ever want to use last, first again, it would be good not to delete the info. I don't there is a way to restore or retrieve this information without comletely startover with tagging.

In the meanwhile I have successfully deleted the artistsort and albumartistsort tags and rescanned the musicfolder. Thanks everybody.

paulster
2009-08-24, 14:35
Why not copy the Lastname,Firstname style tag to a new tag of your own choosing that SqueezeCenter will just ignore and then delete ARTISTSORT.

You could always do the reverse to effectively rename it back if you ever needed it.

JJZolx
2009-08-24, 15:14
Well, if I ever want to use last, first again, it would be good not to delete the info. I don't there is a way to restore or retrieve this information without comletely startover with tagging.

No, you can't retrieve this information after the fields have been deleted.

In the meanwhile I have successfully deleted the artistsort and albumartistsort tags and rescanned the musicfolder.

If you wanted to preserve the data "just in case" you decide to use it some day then you could have copied the data to other fields that aren't recognized - say something like ARTISTSORTX and ALBUMARTISTSORTX, and then deleted ARTISTSORT and ALBUMARTISTSORT. In Mp3tag you could do this by creating an action group with a couple of 'Format value' actions and then a 'Remove fields' action;

Action #1:
Action type: Format value
Field: ARTISTSORTX
Format string: $%artistsort%

Action #2:
Action type: Format value
Field: ALBUMARTISTSORTX
Format string: $%albumartistsort%

Action #3:
Action type: Remove fields
Fields to remove: ARTISTSORT;ALBUMARTISTSORT