PDA

View Full Version : "Connecting" message

eschurr
2009-08-23, 12:11
lately by Squeezebox seems to have trouble connecting to SqueezeCenter. It often displays the message "connecting" and doesn't seem to be doing anything. it also pauses between songs during playback. I can't figure out why and i can't find anything in the forum to help.

running SC on a Dell Dimension with XP, all service packs and updates. SB is attached via a wired ethernet cable.

NeilT
2009-08-23, 14:57
I'm having the same problem. My SB3 and my Boom both keep loosing connection. It seems to be happening every few minutes, sometimes they reconnect quickly enough that the playing stream is not interrupted, sometimes I have a few minutes of silence.

It's hapening when I'm connected to SN or SC, I've tried changing my wireless channel and using two different routers -no difference. The SB3 is in the same room as the router, about three meters away.

I'm running SC on Ubuntu.

Neil

Mnyb
2009-08-23, 15:18
I'm having the same problem. My SB3 and my Boom both keep loosing connection. It seems to be happening every few minutes, sometimes they reconnect quickly enough that the playing stream is not interrupted, sometimes I have a few minutes of silence.

It's hapening when I'm connected to SN or SC, I've tried changing my wireless channel and using two different routers -no difference. The SB3 is in the same room as the router, about three meters away.

I'm running SC on Ubuntu.

Neil

If the SB3 is 3 meters from the router in the same room why not use an ethernet cable, anyway try with a cable to see if it's working better, then you know that you have a wifi problem .

eschurr
2009-08-23, 16:04
my SB is hard-wire connected, so it's certainly not a wireless issue, at least on my end.

NeilT
2009-08-24, 02:14
If the SB3 is 3 meters from the router in the same room why not use an ethernet cable, anyway try with a cable to see if it's working better, then you know that you have a wifi problem .

That did occur to me, but the only cable I have that's over a meter is the one connecting the computer running SC to the router. I was thinking about moving stuff around when I saw the original post. The problem sounds very similar to mine - everything was working fine until recently. I did think of a wireless problem first because I have a new neighbour below me, but using Netstumbler my wireless signal is a lot stronger, and is now on channel 13 (theirs is channel 6, I was originally channel 7).

Neil

toby10
2009-08-24, 03:24
Neil: you might try temporarily moving your SB3 closer to the router to try wired, just to eliminate WiFi as an issue.

Eschurr & Neil: if not done so already, try a complete network reboot.
- unplug router
- power down computer
- unplug all SB players

Then power up each in the same order as above, waiting for each device to completely reboot before powering up the next device.
Worth a shot.

eschurr
2009-08-24, 05:05
thanks. i did this a few days ago, although i will admit i didn't power down my SB. i can add that into the mix to see if it helps.

any other ideas?

toby10
2009-08-24, 05:17
thanks. i did this a few days ago, although i will admit i didn't power down my SB. i can add that into the mix to see if it helps.

any other ideas?

Other than setting up networking again on your SB3 (press & hole LEFT arrow), no.
It sounds as if you may have an IP conflict, but that's a wild guess.

eschurr
2009-08-24, 05:58
i have turned off the SB and forced it to acquire a new IP address but that doesn't seem to help.

don't know why there'd be an IP conflict; the IP addresses are already established and the devices are talking to each other, but sometimes SB seems to have trouble maintaining its connection to SC

toby10
2009-08-24, 08:14
Think you better call support. :)

NeilT
2009-08-26, 04:15
The problem was the wireless on my new router.

A bit odd because the signal strength was stronger than the old one (and lower noise). It didn't seem to cause trouble with large file transfers, surfing the internet etc (my main computer is also using the wireless connection and had no problems), but apparently either streaming is affected more or the antennae in the SB3 and the Boom are less sensitive.

Thanks for the help,

Neil