PDA

View Full Version : URLs???

Ikabob
2009-08-22, 06:21
I am trying to enter some URLs into SN under favorites (in the box area). I have been 100% unsucessful. I always get the message that something was incorrect and so the station may not play properly. I know I must not be entering the right URL. Question: how do I get the right URL for a particular station?
I have been going to that stations WEBPAGE and copying and pasting the entire "http://" that is listed at the top of the WEBPage but it never works. Is there a listing or book of URLs of major or a majority of radio- streaming stations across the globe? One thing....this new Radio and receiver are awesome and I am totally enjoying the features of my new Boom and SB3. I have had great advice from members of this forum and I appreciate it so much! Thank you!

toby10
2009-08-22, 06:32
Getting URL's from the station web site can be tricky. Some mask the URL very well, some sites only stream with an embedded player (will only work if you are on their web site). The web site URL won't work, you need the actual direct stream URL.

Do you use any other program on your computer to play stations? Windows Media Player? iTunes? WinAmp?
If yes, you can easily click + cut + paste the correct stream URL right into SC or SN.

If you spend some time in SN > Browse you will likely find most of the available streams out there. Unfortunately SN does not have a SEARCH function like that of SC, where you can input WKRP and go right to the stream.

Other option is to use SC to search, then cut & paste the URL into SN Favorites.

tazcab
2009-08-22, 06:39
you need to put the url of the stream for the station

maybe if you put more info about the station ie name or web address someone can be more helpfull ;)

Ikabob
2009-08-22, 06:49
Thanks Toby....you have been VERY helpful to me and thanks to you and some others, I am slowly catching on and I really enjoy the Squeeze features.

I have itunes but I have never used the radio part of it. Only saved music to it. I went to the radio part after I read your reply, but I am not sure how to do a search on it or I am not sure what you mean about "you can easily click + cut + paste the correct stream URL right into SC or SN".

(thanks tazcab for your response too...I want to be able to find URLs routinely for any station)

Update: I tried to do it in SC. I searched out the station I wanted; I got the URL associated with it (URL: http://opml.radiotime.com/Tune.ashx?id=s25397&username=ikabob&partnerId=16 ) It didn't look like a valid URL to me but I pasted it anyway and sure enough if didnt work. I know I am missing something and if I am to add stations I have to figure out what I am not getting. Thanks.

toby10
2009-08-22, 07:22
Try clicking on your posted link above with your mouse, see if any computer program picks it up and plays it.

When I click on it my WinAmp program launches and plays the URL.
Double clicking on the stream description in the WinAmp Now Playng screen reveals:
http://64.71.145.107:8002
Stream name: WCAI Live Cape and Islands NPR News and Talk
Stream type: mp3, 24kbps

This is WinAmp's converted URL (it converts all stream URL's to a ShoutCast format, WinAmp is ShoutCast). Cut and paste my posted URL into SN or SC and I'll bet it plays. :)

Ikabob
2009-08-22, 07:40
Yes...when I click on my posted link above it sends the station to my itunes list and it then plays over my computer. But, I tried to get the URL from itunes and cut and paste and I then get the same invalid message in SN. Maybe I need to get WinAmp to convert these long "stream descriptions " to the real URL. Can't I get the real URL in itunes? Anyhow...getting WinAmp might do it. Not sure how I get WinAmp. Thanks.

toby10
2009-08-22, 07:48
Yes...when I click on my posted link above it sends the station to my itunes list and it then plays over my computer. But, I tried to get the URL from itunes and cut and paste and I then get the same invalid message in SN. Maybe I need to get WinAmp to convert these long "stream descriptions " to the real URL. Can't I get the real URL in itunes? Anyhow...getting WinAmp might do it. Not sure how I get WinAmp. Thanks.

I don't use iTunes so can't help you there. Maybe someone who uses iTunes can offer some ideas.

Post the iTunes URL result in here, I'm curious. Is it identical to your above opml URL? Or did iTunes convert it to a different format?

Ikabob
2009-08-22, 07:59
The URL seems to be listed like this under the heading "where": http://streams.wgbh.org/wnan.pls so I placed this in the URL search box for SN and it DID work. So....I think if I follow this procedure a couple times I'll catch on. This is the 1st time a URL was accepted. Thanks! (Now I need to retrace how I got there.)

Mark Miksis
2009-08-22, 10:08
If you listen to a lot of radio, you should explore the various menus under Internet Radio. It contains a very complete and accurate list of internet radio stations, and you don't need to worry about looking up the URL.

toby10
2009-08-22, 11:48
if you listen to a lot of radio, you should explore the various menus under internet radio. It contains a very complete and accurate list of internet radio stations, and you don't need to worry about looking up the url.

+ 1

Siduhe
2009-08-22, 11:59
ikabob, just for your info, the *.pls file that worked for you isn't an actual URL - .pls is a playlist file (a bit like a text file with links to local music or internet radio).

The actual url contained within the .pls file you linked to is "http://64.71.145.107:8002".

Depending on the format/content of the .pls file, it may not always work in Squeezenetwork. If not, try opening the file up in a text editor like Notepad or Editpad and then try the actual URL.

HTH

Ikabob
2009-08-22, 15:25
Ok Siduhe, But how did you find the real URL #s from my *.pls? Thanks.