PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox - what speakers should I use?

pulsar
2009-08-20, 09:50
Just about to place my order but I'm keen to learn what speakers are best to use for the Squeezebox duet, what do people recommend?

Thanks,

tcutting
2009-08-20, 10:15
That's a really open-ended question. It really depends on how you plan to use it. What type of room, how big. What type of listening. How much $$ you want to spend.
A typical Squeezebox Receiver (the "player" half of a Duet) installation is into an existing stereo system (such as replacing a CD player). In that case, there are already speakers.
For example, if it's for a new location, and not really big, like a kitchen or bedroom, then maybe consider a Boom - as it comes with it's own amplifier and speakers, and sounds really good. Doesn't provide a lot of sound volume, however, so wouldn't really be appropriate for a large listening area.

pski
2009-08-22, 15:07
Just about to place my order but I'm keen to learn what speakers are best to use for the Squeezebox duet, what do people recommend?

Thanks,

If you're just looking for speakers, they will need to be self-powered. These can range from cheapo to large PA speakers from JBL or Peavy. Speakers designed for computer use can be good but keep in mind you'll only be getting two channels so 5.1 and etc. would be a waste. Also, you can use speakers like these hooked up to your computer AND NOT HAVE TO BUY ANYTHING to use SqueezeCenter. (No Duet required.)

If you are hooking them directly to the Receiver, you will need an adapter cable unless they have fiber or RCA inputs.

It they have a volume control, set it about half and then run-up the volume on the Receiver to see if it's loud enough (or TOO loud.) In short, you would use the volume on the speakers to provide a "maximum" volume and you would use the Remote's volume to control the system.

slate
2009-08-23, 01:02
Are you thinking active speakers?
If that's the case then I would recommend AVI ADM 9.1; depending on your room and setup you might want to add a subwoofer.
http://www.avihifi.co.uk/adm9.html

mark wollschlager
2009-08-23, 08:28
After reading a bunch of glowing reviews, I ordered Audioengine 5 speakers for use with a Duet receiver in my living room.
http://www.audioengineusa.com/a5_home.php, a compact setup.
In another room I fed the output of the receiver into the aux input of a Boston microcd player ( sort of a Bose wave knockoff ).
That works great for my wife.
I feed another into my family room receiver.
Very flexible.

Mark.

toby10
2009-08-23, 10:36
I'll second the AudioEngine A5's, great sounding speaker set. MSRP is US $350 but if you shop around they can be had for $300.
The advantage of the ADM 9.1's is digital inputs, larger enclosure & speakers, more watt's per ch, beautiful speaker, and probably a lot more detailed audio.
But those advantages come at 5x the price of A5's.