PDA

View Full Version : Musicip quit working...What to check?

Bert57
2009-08-18, 11:08
Have been using musicip headless for about a year and it has mysteriously stopped working.
I have no idea if I did something or not.
Where should I start to find a solution? So far I have checked services and it shows musicip>started. Have also made sure that musicip is checked in settings. Beyond that I have no idea what to check.
Thanks for any help.
Steve

maggior
2009-08-18, 11:32
How is it that it is not working? Are you no longer seeing the option to create an IP mix in the squeezebox UI? Are you trying to generate mixes but they are coming up empty?

Has anything changed in your environment such as you firewall? Is the port used by MusicIP suddenly being blocked?

You mention "service", so I assume you are talking about Windows. Are you sure that MusicIP and SqueezeCenter are starting up in the correct order?

Sorry for all of the questions, but we'll need more info to try to help you out. I'm using MusicIP on Linux, so I can only help to a certain extent.

Bert57
2009-08-18, 12:56
"How is it that it is not working? Are you no longer seeing the option to create an IP mix in the squeezebox UI? Are you trying to generate mixes but they are coming up empty?"
Have always been able to select one track and musicip took over from there. Now it just plays that one track.

Has anything changed in your environment such as you firewall? Is the port used by MusicIP suddenly being blocked?
Will check when I get home. Nothing has changed as far as a firewall.

You mention "service", so I assume you are talking about Windows. Are you sure that MusicIP and SqueezeCenter are starting up in the correct order?
Will check when I get home.

Appreciate the help and will get back to you.
Steve

Bert57
2009-08-19, 12:30
Sorry so late getting back.
"How is it that it is not working?"
When I go to "musicip mix" from a song or an album with the controller it only plays that one song. Does not show any mix, just that one song.
Checked services by turning off Squeezemysql and then turning it back on. Musicip server was already on. This had no effect. Still no mix. Rescanned all music in squeezecenter. Still no mix.
Any recommendations?
Steve

maggior
2009-08-19, 12:46
Hmmm, that's odd.

I've experienced a situation where I would have an empty mix generated. I stopped SC and MiP and restarted them and the problem went away. I think what happened to me was the MiP process died and I restarted it without restaring SC.

According to the documentation, it is important that the MiP service start before SC. Do you have your machine configured this way through a service dependency? To see if this is the issue, you could manually stop both services and manually start each one - MiP first and SC second - and see what happens.

Other than that, I can't think of anything.

Nonreality
2009-08-19, 17:03
Are you holding the play button until it makes a mix? It almost sounds like maybe you were using Spice's musicip addon, Sugarcube, before. If that's on then you can just hit play and it will continue to add new songs until you stop it. Music ip will only make a mix of x amount of songs that you set up before hand in the settings and you have to hold the play button, not just hit it. Are you seeing an "m" on the screen? Or the option to mix from the web? Check and see if you have Sugarcube and maybe it got turned off.

Bert57
2009-08-20, 08:00
Thanks again!
Nonreality may have something. Had to call home and lol check sugarcube. It's not even there. Must have lost it somehow. Will reload it this pm and see if it corrects the problem and get back.
Thanks
Steve

Bert57
2009-08-20, 17:01
Finally got home and checked. Spicefly sugarcube was gone.
Dl'ed it again to:
C:\Program Files\SqueezeCenter\server\Plugins\SugarCube
Rebooted Squeezecenter and went to settings/plugins. Still not there.
Everything else seems to be there. After putting it in the plugins folder it seems like it has to be there but it isn't.
Suggestions
Thanks
Steve

MeSue
2009-08-20, 18:07
C:\Program Files\SqueezeCenter\server\Plugins\SugarCube

I don't think that is the correct path for third-party plug-ins.

What version of SC are you running? If 7.3 or higher, you should use the extension downloader in settings to install plugins.

If older, someone else will have to answer. I don't remember.

Bert57
2009-08-21, 06:39
Using version 7.3.3.
Will try to get by the house and try the extension downloader.
Thanks
Steve

Nonreality
2009-08-22, 00:35
I think that's the right place. Unless it was designed for the extension downloader and then it goes to a different place. Let us know what happens after you use the extension downloader. I'm hoping I helped you. :)

Bert57
2009-08-22, 06:57
Don't know exactly what helped but it is working now.
Tried ext dl'er first and it still didn't work. Asked if I wanted a new version so I updated. Also updated the controller and now it works perfect.
Guess the ext dl'er was the first step. Whether it was or not I really appreciate your help.
Steve