PDA

View Full Version : RedEye universal remote control?

GRC
2009-08-18, 10:14
Although I have a Controller, I have been interested in the iPhone apps for controlling the SB devices.

However, I have also been toying with the idea of a universal remote for all my other IR-controlled gear.

I've recently come across the RedEye universal controller at http://thinkflood.com/products/redeye/what-is-redeye/ which is based on an iPod Touch or iPhone. Seems that this could be a single platform for IR and wireless control. Absolutely not the first attempt at a solution but possibly the most elegant to date and well-priced (so long as you already have an iPod Touch or iPhone),

Looks interesting!

Anyone had any experience with this product?

GRC

badbob
2009-08-18, 12:29
Although the itouch may offer feature IR control as well as other stuff, full touchscreen remotes are horrible to use.

GRC
2009-08-19, 01:19
Although the itouch may offer feature IR control as well as other stuff, full touchscreen remotes are horrible to use.

... and this is because ... ?

GRC

radish
2009-08-19, 06:58
Because most people know where the major buttons (volume, etc) on their TV remote are by touch. Having to look at the screen to locate the button makes the whole thing much more awkward to use. It's why (IMHO) Harmony did so well - combining the customisation options of a screen with the practicality of physical buttons. Even Pronto (the flag-bearer for touchscren remotes) have some physical keys now.

Andy8421
2009-08-19, 14:16
I have been using iRedtouch - an iPodtouch or iPhone app that uses a network resident IR flasher.

1. Take a picture or use a scanner to get an image of the remote
2. Display picture on iPod
3. Define button areas on the picture (app comes with a very neat tool for doing this)
4. Teach the system from the original remote

The system works, and I have no problems finding the buttons.

Have a look at http://www.tinbert.com/iRed2/iRedTouch

The IR flasher box is not cheap however, but seems to work well.

Added info - If you go to the website listed above, try the menu option on the left for the quick start video. It explains it all.

GRC
2009-08-20, 01:41
I have been using iRedtouch - an iPodtouch or iPhone app that uses a network resident IR flasher.

Hadn't come across that one - it looks good and the video is impressive. Also hadn't seen the IRTrans.

Seems the RedEye is quite similar except it doesn't need to be cabled to your home net, it's also a charger for your iPhone/iPod and it's a bit cheaper. Not sure that any of these are show stoppers however.

Does iRedTouch support macros?

How do you find the responsiveness of iRedTouch? By that I mean how quick to get to the virtual remote you want and how quickly do the units being controlled respond after a button is "pushed"?

GRC

Andy8421
2009-08-20, 12:38
GRC,

IRtrans is a bit pricy, but is an impressive bit of kit. Very similar to the global cache product, it can be controlled by PC resident software (supplied) as well as the iPod app. Can drive discrete flashers or use the high output LEDs on the box. Took it to bits, nicely built, based on a PIC microcontroller. I notice that the iRedtouch site is now mentioning compatability with the Global Cache box (beta), you might be able to get one of these GC boxes cheaper than the IRtrans.

The IRtrans PC software gives macro capability and can control the unit functionality from a PC, but if you want macros on the iPod you have to 'teach' the button you want to contol the macro the correct sequence of commands. A bit clunky, but it works.

Switching between remotes is quick, two or three button presses on the iPod and the iPod responds immediately displaying the new remote. Slight delay when controlling devices, but not enough to be annoying.

I particularly liked the feature that displays an image of the real remote on the iPod, makes it easy to use if you are familiar with an existing remote key layout.

Had some problems with keys responding twice when pressed once - particularly the SKY HD remote. Problem solved by using the 'NATIVE' mode - IRtrans product support helped out and were very responsive to my query.

Just a question on redeye - the site says beta trial has finished and it isn't available at the moment?

GRC
2009-08-21, 06:11
GRC,

Just a question on redeye - the site says beta trial has finished and it isn't available at the moment?

From what I understand, they just have enough beta testers for now and are waiting for the next phase before involving additional users. I've had one email from them asking if I'm interested in being an "international" tester (it's not available outside the US at the moment) but you now know as much as I do from the website.

They are raving about it over at TONEAudio http://www.tonepublications.com/gear/the-ultimate-remote-control-is-here/

Of course, my big problem is I don't have an iPod Touch or iPhone! I have a 5G iPod which is only used in the car now since I went the Squeezebox route at home, and the iPhone is overkill for my limited use over here. Maybe I'll find something cheap on eBay!

bernt
2009-09-16, 01:20
It would be cool to use SB3 and a IR-blaster as the hardware instead of the RedEye.

Well, I could at least dream about it.