PDA

View Full Version : iPod and iPhone

Lyster
2009-08-01, 10:53
I'm not a huge fan of Apple, but my daughter just gave me her iPod touch (because she just got an iPhone). Both of these toys have an application that will run the Squeezecenter. The display is far better than the duet controller and the ability to search and find songs is far better. I've put my controller in the garage and will never use it again. (Probably should put it in the trash, but somehow all that $$$, although sunk costs, just keeps me from doing that.)

egd
2009-08-01, 11:05
I've put my controller in the garage and will never use it again. (Probably should put it in the trash, but somehow all that $$$, although sunk costs, just keeps me from doing that.)Sell it...

fillmore
2009-08-01, 13:45
i generally dislike apple, and HATE itunes with a raging passion. that being said, i really like my ipods, and love the iphone.

im holding on to all my hardware, though, because i currently live in an apartment, but when we buy a house with a lot more space, outdoors, garage, i figure everything will be put to good use somewhere.

Lyster
2009-08-03, 10:18
i generally dislike apple, and HATE itunes with a raging passion. that being said, i really like my ipods, and love the iphone.

You'll love Squeemote. It costs $8.00. It makes your Logitech Controller obsolete. (I don't work for Squeemote or Apple, and like you I am not an Apple fan.)

fillmore
2009-08-05, 19:33
i like ipeng.

Lyster
2009-08-05, 20:12
I'll have to admit, I did no research on which app might be best - my daughter found squeemote and downloaded it and it's pretty dang nice. What makes ipeng a better app in your opinion?

pippin
2009-08-06, 04:52
I'll have to admit, I did no research on which app might be best - my daughter found squeemote and downloaded it and it's pretty dang nice. What makes ipeng a better app in your opinion?

It supports almost the full Squeezebox functionality.
Including SqueezeNetwork, Alarms, Plugins, you name it.
Have a look at the screen shots:
www.penguinlovesmusic.de
And the manual, if you want to learn more:
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-the-iphone-skin-for-squeezecenter/how-to-use-the-ipeng-application/

gruswitz
2009-08-11, 13:20
I have an iPod and considering buying a refurbished Squeezebox Receiver. Do I need the controller for initial setup or can iPeng or Squeemote help me do that?

Lyster
2009-08-11, 13:59
I have an iPod and considering buying a refurbished Squeezebox Receiver. Do I need the controller for initial setup or can iPeng or Squeemote help me do that?

The controller is needed to set up the controller - but Squeezecenter is set up on the computer you are using to host the audio files. You can control the system with any computer on your network - no "controller" required. As a matter of fact, that is exactly what I did most of the time (and still do) before I found out about these plug-ins. The Logitech Controller is quite limited, in my humble opinion, so I rarely found myself using it. By the way, I assume your iPod is the "touch" model.

Hope that helps.

Keymaster
2009-08-11, 14:00

Please enlighten us. I have a few people asking me the same question and I'm regrettably ignorant on the topic. I remember seeing that you needed to have a controller to do the initial setup only. Is that still true, or can you go right to an IPhone App?

pippin
2009-08-11, 16:14
Please enlighten us. I have a few people asking me the same question and I'm regrettably ignorant on the topic. I remember seeing that you needed to have a controller to do the initial setup only. Is that still true, or can you go right to an IPhone App?

Kind of in the middle.
You can't set up a Receiver with any of the iPhone apps, but there's a tool called Net::UDAP to do so.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=57861
I haven't used it myself and it's probably a bit difficult to use but it seems to work for a lot of people.

fillmore
2009-08-15, 21:35
What makes ipeng a better app in your opinion?
i dont have anything to make a comparison because i have only used ipeng, but it has worked so well that i havent needed to play with any other app.

Zevs
2009-08-16, 00:11
It supports almost the full Squeezebox functionality.
Including SqueezeNetwork, Alarms, Plugins, you name it.
Have a look at the screen shots:
www.penguinlovesmusic.de
And the manual, if you want to learn more:
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-the-iphone-skin-for-squeezecenter/how-to-use-the-ipeng-application/

Yes the Ipeng is good, but I have to say the documentation on the site is quite confusing showing and talking about stuff that as far as I can see isn't in the current version and also the info that is current is not very well organized. This application needs a useable manual I think.

Zevs

pippin
2009-08-16, 00:58
Yes the Ipeng is good, but I have to say the documentation on the site is quite confusing showing and talking about stuff that as far as I can see isn't in the current version and also the info that is current is not very well organized. This application needs a useable manual I think.

Sorry, I don't buy that.
There is no information on the site that is not for the current version.
The one thing that can be a bit confusing may be the fact that there are TWO manuals on the site, one for the App Store App and one for the SqueezeCenter Plugin.
Both are still valid, the plugin is still being maintained (got it's latest release just yesterday) and is a "recommended plugin" in SC's extension downloader, so it still needs a manual.

The iPeng App, on the other hand has links to the correct manual in the App, it has a layout that is optimized for iPhone if you follow the links and quite a lot of pictures to explain things.
It's also easy to find the right one if you follow the link in the App Store, the links in the App or the really difficult-to-remember link help.penguinlovesmusic.de (which is stated in the App and in the App Store).
Ok, not everything might be easy to understand but please compare that to the user manual that comes with your iPhone or iPod touch (none) or the ones that come with the Squeezeboxes, which only explain the installation and setup but never the use of things.
I agree it should be in other languages than English and I find it a bit long, actually, but show me a similar product with a more comprehensive manual.

By the way, as of my experience, nobody reads it.

Zevs
2009-08-16, 05:31
Yes, after looking at it a bit more I agree with you, the manual is OK for sure, I guess it was the "General Usability" part that threw me off. Also the number of different other pages on the site didn't fit with the application. But as you say in general the manual is comprehensive.

Zevs

pippin
2009-08-16, 06:58
I guess it was the "General Usability" part that threw me off.

Ok, that's probably because that IS a bit complicated (but pretty efficient once you understood it).
Will get more simple with the next release.

Ikabob
2009-08-16, 07:12
TO GRUSITZ....Slightly off the subject: The best advice I had on these forums when I was debating what to purchase was that getting the SB3 made more sense than getting the receiver/duet because.... in addition to the ability to respond to a controller OR an itouch/ipodphone, it also has a built in IR remote control (nice if the "controller " is recharging);it also has a VFD information screen,and it can be setup without a controller....which I did very easily (with great help by this forum along the way). I know this does not answer your question directly but I am very glad I purchased the SB3 and set up the ipeng. My humble novice opinion...for what it is worth.

aubuti
2009-08-16, 07:22
TO GRUSITZ....Slightly off the subject: The best advice I had on these forums when I was debating what to purchase was that getting the SB3 made more sense than getting the receiver/duet because.... in addition to the ability to respond to a controller OR an itouc/ipodphone, it also has a built in IR remote control (nice if the "controller " is recharging);it also has a LED information screen,and it can be setup without a controller....which I did very easily. I know this does not answer your question directly but I am very glad I purchased the SB3 and set up the ipeng. My humble novice opinion...for what it is worth.
Just fyi, the SB3's screen is VFD (vacuum flourescent display), not LED (light emitting diode). A VFD is generally much nicer, imo.

Ikabob
2009-08-16, 07:26
I knew someone was going to catch me on that....thanks! I just was not sure . :-)

ummmm...didn't I say VHD? ;-)

deutscherhififan
2009-08-16, 12:43
I'm not a huge fan of Apple, but my daughter just gave me her iPod touch (because she just got an iPhone). Both of these toys have an application that will run the Squeezecenter. The display is far better than the duet controller and the ability to search and find songs is far better. I've put my controller in the garage and will never use it again. (Probably should put it in the trash, but somehow all that $$$, although sunk costs, just keeps me from doing that.)

Just sold my used Controller for $185 on Audiogon. Touch and iPeng all the way...

Zevs
2009-08-21, 09:46
I have problems with using iPeng's letter selection scroller on the right hand side of the screen in Artist and Album view. It just kind of blinks when I touch it and doesn't fast forward to the letter I touch. So for me not of any use, I have ot keep scrplling the usual way, which takes ages if you have amlot of music. Is that a problem others have seen also ?

I have four different players connected to my Squeezebox, including the Duet controller itself. When trying to set which player should be playing and synching and such, it seems I can only control three of them at a time, the fourth ends up partly off screen and I can't find any esay way of scrolling up and down on that screen. Usually I end up needing to control the player I can't reach :) Again is this something other have experienced also ?

Zevs

pippin
2009-08-21, 14:36
I have problems with using iPeng's letter selection scroller on the right hand side of the screen in Artist and Album view. It just kind of blinks when I touch it and doesn't fast forward to the letter I touch. So for me not of any use, I have ot keep scrplling the usual way, which takes ages if you have amlot of music. Is that a problem others have seen also ?

iPen App?
Which menu? Which iPhone FW? Which iPeng version? This should not be any issue since at lease version 1.1
Are you sure the menu was already fully loaded when you tried this? For cached menus you get an indicator (Artists and Albums are cached).

I have four different players connected to my Squeezebox, including the Duet controller itself. When trying to set which player should be playing and synching and such, it seems I can only control three of them at a time, the fourth ends up partly off screen and I can't find any esay way of scrolling up and down on that screen. Usually I end up needing to control the player I can't reach :) Again is this something other have experienced also ?

Yes, that IS a known issue and will be fixed in the next version. It helps to fist select the already active player or to slowly scoll as opposed to fast.
It's a problem with iPhone's scroll view in FW 2.2 (the current iPeng release is still compiled against 2.2, even when it runs under 3.0).

Zevs
2009-08-21, 22:25
iPen App?
Which menu? Which iPhone FW? Which iPeng version? This should not be any issue since at lease version 1.1
Are you sure the menu was already fully loaded when you tried this? For cached menus you get an indicator (Artists and Albums are cached).

Hmm I have iPeng 1.1.2 and iPhone 3.0 FW. I guess you might be right about the menus not fully loaded. I do have lots of music ..... but how does this work then ? It seems I can use the letters up to C but after that nothing happens, even if the application has been on for some time. Also when I search I seem only get hits up to those "starting" with a C, the rest are not found. I flushed the cash and saw it synching again, but with the same result. So what is needed in order to get the whole music collection searchable/scrollable?

Zevs

pippin
2009-08-22, 02:09
If search also only delivers items up to "C" this sounds more like an SC issue. Is everything OK in SC's web interface?
What is "a lot of music" in numbers?
Do the other items ("D" and onwards) show when you scroll manually?

I'd guess this is either a db issue (clear and rescan could help or some tag/character confusing SC's indexing. Anything suspicious for the latter visible under "C"?

Zevs
2009-08-22, 08:21
If search also only delivers items up to "C" this sounds more like an SC issue. Is everything OK in SC's web interface?
What is "a lot of music" in numbers?
Do the other items ("D" and onwards) show when you scroll manually?

I'd guess this is either a db issue (clear and rescan could help or some tag/character confusing SC's indexing. Anything suspicious for the latter visible under "C"?

Well, to be honest it is hard to say just now what is happening with my Squeezebox and Duet. I'm on the 7.4 beta track which now have me do daily updates on the FW for both the SB and the Duet, which every day causes strange and different problems it seems. Wish I had stayed with 7.3 :) :)

Anyhow, with my Duet I can search all my library and also scroll down the alphabet without any problems, In the iPeng I can also manually keep scrolling past C to later letters (it is just very tedious to do, I have ~60 K tracks) and I can play those songs also. So still not sure what is causing the problem.

Zevs

pippin
2009-08-22, 09:21
Well, to be honest it is hard to say just now what is happening with my Squeezebox and Duet. I'm on the 7.4 beta track which now have me do daily updates on the FW for both the SB and the Duet, which every day causes strange and different problems it seems. Wish I had stayed with 7.3 :) :)

You mean iPeng now works with 7.4?
It used to crash quite a while since there were changes in the protocol.
No guarantees taken that anything in iPeng 1.1.2 works as expected with 7.4, there's a big disclaimer in the App Store.
There will be an iPeng release in time for the official 7.4 release but 7.4 is so dynamic right now, there's no sense in releasing things for the App Store just to see it break again a week later.

Anyhow, with my Duet I can search all my library and also scroll down the alphabet without any problems, In the iPeng I can also manually keep scrolling past C to later letters (it is just very tedious to do, I have ~60 K tracks) and I can play those songs also. So still not sure what is causing the problem.

Ok, anything with special characters under "C"?
The issue is very likely that you have something under "C" which SqueezeCenter sends with an index of "Z" which makes iPeng start the "Z" index there and since you can't have an index twice (the index organization is a bit awkward in iPhone) everything else will be regarded as "Z".
Try to find and change that Album/Artist

This is a long standing SqueezeCenter bug that has been around since the days of SC 6.5, it's targeted at 8.1 New Schema so will likely never ever be fixed. You could vote for it.
I won't work around it in iPeng since this would again involve sorting which slows things down a lot and drives memory usage to a level where your 60.000 track library has a chance of not working at all. I know what I talk about since I DID actually sort in iPeng pre 1.1
https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4633

johanneswh
2009-08-22, 17:07
There is one quality about the controller that the Iphone lacks: A decent headphone amplifier.

The 3,5mm jack on the controller can play back your entire music collection through even the most power hungry headphones with quite decent quality. You can't do that with an Iphone. I know that at least one developer is trying to get a Squeezboz streaming ap through Apples inkvisitorial aproval proces, but even if this should proove succesful the amp in the Iphone is still mediocre at best.

If you never use headphones at home this is of course just hot air.

pippin
2009-08-22, 17:28
There is one quality about the controller that the Iphone lacks: A decent headphone amplifier.

The 3,5mm jack on the controller can play back your entire music collection through even the most power hungry headphones with quite decent quality. You can't do that with an Iphone. I know that at least one developer is trying to get a Squeezboz streaming ap through Apples inkvisitorial aproval proces, but even if this should proove succesful the amp in the Iphone is still mediocre at best.

It has been successful. Look for Squeeze Mobile.
iPeng will get that too, with a later release.

Zevs
2009-08-23, 04:32
Ok, anything with special characters under "C"?
The issue is very likely that you have something under "C" which SqueezeCenter sends with an index of "Z" which makes iPeng start the "Z" index there and since you can't have an index twice (the index organization is a bit awkward in iPhone) everything else will be regarded as "Z".
Try to find and change that Album/Artist

Thanks, yes you were right, that was the problem. I checked and had both artists and some album with some strange initial characters in them. Changing those seems to have taken care of the problem! Thanks for the help!!!

Zevs