PDA

View Full Version : What are people using for Bathroom control ?

trouty00
2009-07-30, 08:24
All,
In the not so distant future im going to have a bathroom Squeezebox setup but I need some sort of control in the bathroom itslef.

what have people done, there is obviously the expensive set-up of getting a full-on waterproof touch screen and running the touch skin in a browser which would be ideal as it gives you other uses for the screen but its going to be expensive and a bit overkill!

Has anyone done a slightly more budget setup, I dont want to have anything on show (ie a SB classic) and dont want a remote as that will end up in the tub and get ruined.

what I'm thinking of is more a waterproof setup small touch screen, say a ipod touch running ipeng or a PDA or just a small tablet type device waterproofed somehow but the touchscreen still working and it looking pretty slick still, ie I dont want a touch dangling from the shower in a waterproof case.

I figure some sort of all in 1 device waterproofed is the best fit.

there is obviously also the issue of powering any device but this would be done as part of the bathroom install so the power all behind the tiles i guess and sealed.

I did wrap the touch in cling film /reynolds wrap the other day and the touch screen still worked so i'm sure something could be done maybe more permanently with something a bit more heavy duty.

I've just slid my touch in to the back of a dvd case (under the plastic which is thicker than cling film but probably not thick enough to be a permanent arrangement) and I figure if you could do this and then tile it in and provide it with power all the time it would work quite well. Admittedly when it goes wrong your kinda screwed but that's just another challenge. Maybe some sort or access from the rear would be a good idea with picture hiding the access hole or something.

your thoughts please?

Stu

dsdreamer
2009-07-30, 11:01
I can't comment about the mechanical aspects of the problem, but I wanted to make sure you don't neglect the issue of WiFi signal strength when embedding a small device like the iPod Touch in a wall.

trouty00
2009-07-30, 11:04
hmmm, that is a good point which I hadn't considered, this would probably make the back access hatch essential.

chrisla
2009-07-30, 11:12
There is a waterproof universal remote called the dolphin that is fine
if it ends up in the tub.

-Chris

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 8:24 AM,
trouty00<trouty00.3w57xb1248967561 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
wrote:
>
> All,
> In the not so distant future im going to have a bathroom Squeezebox
> setup but I need some sort of control in the bathroom itslef.
>
> what have people done, there is obviously the expensive set-up of
> getting a full-on waterproof touch screen and running the touch skin in
> a browser which would be ideal as it gives you other uses for the screen
> but its going to be expensive and a bit overkill!
>
> Has anyone done a slightly more budget setup, I dont want to have
> anything on show (ie a SB classic) and dont want a remote as that will
> end up in the tub and get ruined.
>
> what I'm thinking of is more a waterproof setup small touch screen, say
> a ipod touch running ipeng or a PDA or just a small tablet type device
> waterproofed somehow but the touchscreen still working and it looking
> pretty slick still, ie I dont want a touch dangling from the shower in a
> waterproof case.
>
> I figure some sort of all in 1 device waterproofed is the best fit.
>
> there is obviously also the issue of powering any device but this would
> be done as part of the bathroom install so the power all behind the
> tiles i guess and sealed.
>
> I did wrap the touch in cling film /reynolds wrap the other day and the
> touch screen still worked so i'm sure something could be done maybe more
> permanently with something a bit more heavy duty.
>
> I've just slid my touch in to the back of a dvd case (under the plastic
> which is thicker than cling film but probably not thick enough to be a
> permanent arrangement) and I figure if you could do this and then tile
> it in and provide it with power all the time it would work quite well.
> Admittedly when it goes wrong your kinda screwed but that's just another
> challenge. Maybe some sort or access from the rear would be a good idea
> with picture hiding the access hole or something.
>
> your thoughts please?
>
> Stu
>
>
> --
> trouty00
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> trouty00's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=30875
> View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=66090
>
>

trouty00
2009-07-30, 12:03
I guess that's an option and then a SB3 behind a heated glass panel of some sort but ideally I think touch screen is ideal as its more for a shower installation so a small touch screen would be better.

that remotes a good option though but doesn't seem to be easy to source and kind of pricey and not very slick but i do appreciate your response!

stu

MillmoorRon
2009-07-30, 12:19
I use an iPod (and iPeng) in a sealable plastic bag!

ghostrider
2009-07-30, 12:48
I never could understand this requirement. Are you in the tub or shower so long that you can't wait until you get out to change the station?

NeilT
2009-07-30, 13:28
Someone else has had a go, he has been on the forum and may still be around. There are details of his solution at http://www.moyo.me.uk/squeeze/wall.htm. He's using a Squeezebox2, but I think you could do the same with a Classic. It's probably a lot easier to waterproof the remote control!

Neil

trouty00
2009-07-30, 13:35
It's not really to change the station, its more to turn it on in the first place. I am thinking that maybe a mounted touch outside the bathroom but that's not a perfect solution.

Its a matter of convenience and because i can do it (i think. I can climb in the shower half asleep, get the shower on and then turn on the music, mostly the thing can powered on with an alarm for the morning but other times will be nice to be able to choose.

The wall mounted link above is very smart and the idea for news scrolling is an extra great addition but not sure how he controls this. There is no details on remote, why do you say the SB classic would be easier to waterproof control.

Stu

JJZolx
2009-07-30, 13:44
> What are people using for Bathroom control?

Depends.

trouty00
2009-07-30, 13:45
> What are people using for Bathroom control?

Depends.

thanks, all very useful information! :-p

aubuti
2009-07-30, 18:34
thanks, all very useful information! :-p
That pun might not translate to the other side of the pond. If not, look at your subject line again and then follow the Depends (http://www.us.depend.com/incontinence-products/) link.

Good one, Jim!

NeilT
2009-07-31, 00:12
"The wall mounted link above is very smart and the idea for news scrolling is an extra great addition but not sure how he controls this. There is no details on remote, why do you say the SB classic would be easier to waterproof control."

This installation uses the original Squeezebox, which is similar to the Squeezebox Classic internally. Both use a simple IR remote. I meant that this remote would be easier to waterproof as its not touchscreen, or there are waterproof universal remotes available as Chrisla mentioned.

If all you want to do is turn it on, why not set an alarm for the night before in Squeezecenter? Then you'll be welcomed by music as you enter the throne room!

Neil

BTW how do you quote?

Chunkywizard
2009-07-31, 00:49
BTW how do you quote?

Hit the big Quote button!

CW

NeilT
2009-07-31, 01:22
Hit the big Quote button!

CW

The one at the bottom of the post with "Quote" written on it?

Neil

BTW How do you delete posts that might make people think you haven't been paying attention?

trouty00
2009-07-31, 03:25
That pun might not translate to the other side of the pond. If not, look at your subject line again and then follow the Depends (http://www.us.depend.com/incontinence-products/) link.

Good one, Jim!

maybe my sarcasm doesn't translate either...