PDA

View Full Version : Synching SB1 with SB2/SB3. Limits?

gorman
2009-07-30, 01:46
Server is a powerful machine, quad core. Windows XP. SC 7.3.3

I'm wondering, if I were to try and hook up my old SB1 to add an extra music zone, what limits would I have when synching them all together?

Lack of replaygain I seem to remember. Is gapless playback okay?
What else?

mherger
2009-07-30, 01:52
> I'm wondering, if I were to try and hook up my old SB1 to add an extra
> music zone, what limits would I have when synching them all together?

I've been syncing my Transporter to my SliMP3. Working fine with local files. Make sure they're mp3 or wav only, as other formats would have to be transcoded for SB1, which can negatively influence syncing.

--

Michael

sander
2009-07-31, 09:17
I bought a used sb1 on craigslist and eventually gave up due to syncing problems.

As I understand it the fundamental issue is whether your server stalls at all. Squeezecenter is single threaded and any hiccup which would be find for modern (sb2 type) players will hang up the Sb1.

For me it became to much to deal with and I was lucky enough to find used SB3 on craigslist (for $5 more than the Sb1!) so I gave up.

snarlydwarf
2009-07-31, 13:37
I bought a used sb1 on craigslist and eventually gave up due to syncing problems.

As I understand it the fundamental issue is whether your server stalls at all. Squeezecenter is single threaded and any hiccup which would be find for modern (sb2 type) players will hang up the Sb1.

For me it became to much to deal with and I was lucky enough to find used SB3 on craigslist (for $5 more than the Sb1!) so I gave up.

Well the SB1 has a tiny buffer, so, yes, if there are interference problems on a wireless network, or large cpu/disk spikes on the machine running SC, the SB1 would be much more likely to 'stall' than a later model with more memory devoted to buffering.

Not really a sync issue, though: those sorts of dropouts would be more likely on an SB1 even if it was the sole player.

shake-the-disease
2009-07-31, 20:13
I've got a SB1 and Boom (all wired connections) which I've been playing sync'ed together. It's really hit and miss, 80% it's fine, other times the SB1 insists on dragging its' feet 3 or 4 seconds behind the Boom.

Just yesterday I bought a SB3 to replace the SB1, does that tell you enough? LOL.