PDA

View Full Version : New Sonos controller officially launched

Paul Webster
2009-07-28, 02:55
Photos have been floating around for a few weeks - but yesterday was the launch party.

Touch screen (3.5 full-color VGA display 640x480 pixels) with some dedicated function buttons.
List price 349 USD

http://www.sonos.com/demo/demo.aspx
http://www.sonos.com/company/press/releases/release/default.aspx?id=6242
http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2009/07/27/sonos-introduces-the-sonos-controller-200/

dave77
2009-07-28, 04:11
Looks great, a bit pricey though!
Personally I don't see why a remote control, be it Sonos/Logitech, should cost more than 100

peter
2009-07-28, 04:15
dave77 wrote:
> Looks great, a bit pricey though!
>

I think it looks cheap.

> Personally I don't see why a remote control, be it Sonos/Logitech,
> should cost more than 100
>

Depends on what it does, doesn't it?

Regards,
Peter

pippin
2009-07-28, 04:27
They should have called it the "iSonos".

corbey
2009-07-28, 04:27
Looks good, and to me it's a big improvement over the previous Controller, which I always thought was a bit too big and clunky.

Agree that this new model is too pricey. I'd rather have an iPod Touch running iPeng or the equivalent iPhone/Touch application that's available for the Sonos system.

However, looking at the screen shots reminded me that one area where Sonos gets it right is player management and synchronization. I haven't actually used it, but the Sonos interface for adding players, or "zones," appears to be much more logical and easy to use than anything I've seen so far from Slim/Logitech.

andynormancx
2009-07-28, 05:04
Looks great, a bit pricey though!
Personally I don't see why a remote control, be it Sonos/Logitech, should cost more than 100
Given that it is going to have to have similar (and in case of the Sonos screen, better) hardware to the iPod Touch, it has hard to see how Sonos or Logitech could sell for less than 100, given that they don't have the volume that Apple have on the Touch.

pippin
2009-07-28, 05:18
(and in case of the Sonos screen, better)

I haven'T seen the Sonos screen, yet.
But it's a common misunderstanding that higher resolution is better.

On most phones I know it's actually not because you often lose contrast in a transflexive mode (OK, might not be that relevant for an in-door device) but especially you notice that screen rendering is often significantly slower because of the higher data volume plus you often lose battery lifetime due to the increased processing needs.

What fits is that one thing I immediately noticed in Sonos' video is that this doesn't seem to use animations like iPhone does.

Plus, it's my experience that even the 480x320 screen on the iPhone can be a challenge for Cover Art resolution, OTOH that's probably less of an issue for Sonos since they don't seem to show full-screen cover art anyway.

maggior
2009-07-28, 06:04
Photos have been floating around for a few weeks - but yesterday was the launch party.

When's our launch party!?!?!?

I wish Logitech would finally announce what's coming up.

BTW, I think Logitech has improved the player sync interface. Now it is clear what you are syncing to and it is clear how to unsync something. You can also easily see what is currently synced.

How is it that Sonos does this better? I've never touched a Sonos system, so I don't know how they do it.

Paul Webster
2009-07-28, 06:20
When's our launch party!?!?!?
How is it that Sonos does this better? I've never touched a Sonos system, so I don't know how they do it.
You could take a look at the demo and make your own judgement (the first link in the first post of this thread).

pippin
2009-07-28, 06:53

By giving you control over all your "zones", showing what's grouped together, what's playing, etc.

It's really the one thing sonos does much better.

Well... but iPeng will become better with the next release, too :-)

arztde
2009-07-28, 10:30
By giving you control over all your "zones", showing what's grouped together, what's playing, etc.

It's really the one thing sonos does much better.

Well... but iPeng will become better with the next release, too :-)

Same to Slimcontrol :-) for PDA. Actual Version is now V 0.95.
I was testing V 0.96 including Synchronisation. Also through Internet access. There was a little time shift betwheen Softsqueeze, Squeezeslave and SB Classic. Now Sebastian did a Version Jump to V 0.98 and It works fine now.

So also here the next Versions are not so far until some things are to be clean up.

peterw
2009-07-28, 21:48
It looks to me like Sonos failed to understand the greatest physical attribute of the Squeezebox Controller -- the fact it's designed for one-handed use. Even the promo videos for the new Sonos unit show folks two-handing it at times. Looks like folks with small hands will need both hands, and be better served by an iPod with the free Sonos app. Even average American/European men might find some onscreen regions hard to tap single-handed. The buttons look cheesy. Volume control only via up/down buttons or look-where-you-tap onscreen sliders? Disappointing.

pippin
2009-07-28, 23:20
It looks to me like Sonos failed to understand the greatest physical attribute of the Squeezebox Controller -- the fact it's designed for one-handed use. Even the promo videos for the new Sonos unit show folks two-handing it at times. Looks like folks with small hands will need both hands, and be better served by an iPod with the free Sonos app. Even average American/European men might find some onscreen regions hard to tap single-handed. The buttons look cheesy. Volume control only via up/down buttons or look-where-you-tap onscreen sliders? Disappointing.

The SBC also only has up/down buttons for volume control, or did I miss something?
And if you want to mimick the use case from the video (changing the volume on several devices) you ae in for a several minute ride through the "select player" menu.

But I agree the iPod touch solution is probably more value for money.

andynormancx
2009-07-28, 23:41
The SBC also only has up/down buttons for volume control, or did I miss something?

I expect what he is referring to is the fact that once you have pressed a volume button on the SBC you can then spin the wheel to change the volume quickly.

pippin
2009-07-28, 23:51
I expect what he is referring to is the fact that once you have pressed a volume button on the SBC you can then spin the wheel to change the volume quickly.

You know what: I hadn't noticed that!
Thanks.

cliveb
2009-07-29, 00:47
Let's face it: the Sonos demo really is very slick. Rather than try to pick it apart, perhaps it would be more constructive if we urged Logitech to come up with something equally convincing.

It looks to me like Sonos failed to understand the greatest physical attribute of the Squeezebox Controller -- the fact it's designed for one-handed use. Even the promo videos for the new Sonos unit show folks two-handing it at times.
Good point. I hadn't really noticed that when watching the demo, which kind of reinforces how slick it is.

Looks like folks with small hands will need both hands, and be better served by an iPod with the free Sonos app.
My daughter has an iPod Touch, and have observed that even this relatively small device seems to require two-handed operation. I think it's in the nature of touch screen interfaces - they are difficult to operate with a thumb, and so in order to use fingers you need the other hand to hold the device.

Perhaps users of iPeng could comment - do you need to use two hands?

andynormancx
2009-07-29, 01:06
My daughter has an iPod Touch, and have observed that even this relatively small device seems to require two-handed operation. I think it's in the nature of touch screen interfaces - they are difficult to operate with a thumb, and so in order to use fingers you need the other hand to hold the device.

I keep seeing people say that the iPhone/iPod Touch needs two hands and it always puzzles me. It is no exaggeration to say that 95% of my iPhone usage is with one hand, I find it the natural and easy way to use it.

The only times you _have_ to use two hands is when pinching to zoom in and out. But you rarely _have_ to pinch, for example in the broswer you can double tap instead of pinching and in the builtin maps app you double tap to zoom in and two finger tap to zoom out. Unfortunately there are a fair few third apps that have maps that don't implement the two fingered tap to zoom out, which does mean you have to pinch in those.

I can't think of anything in iPeng that needs two hands.

pippin
2009-07-29, 01:06

You CAN use it one-handed.
Especially the (often criticized) gestures help with this.
But I find myself mostly using it two-handed since it's really more convenient.

trouty00
2009-07-29, 05:48
I always use the touch one handed but i do have huge hands, always in (XXL ski Gloves)

There was a great review on engadget for the cr200 controller and raised some good points.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/27/sonos-cr200-review/

The main one is you can have a ipod touch dedicated to the cause which mine is but i find it a pain in the ar*e to have to unlock and I have to say its hard not to use it for email/news etc so not always is the ipeng app loaded. the best thing about the cr200 and the SB controller is the accelerometer useage, you touch/move them and they spring to life. This for me alone is making me think about whether I want to rebuy a controller (I previously sold when i bought my touch)

the speed over wifi is never an issue though, It is instant when i pause.

its all very dependent on how many zones you have in the house and how many controllers you need, you may have units in your kids rooms but dont think you are going to treat them to a cr200 or an iphone each which makes the SB items much better with the nice cheap IR remotes. think ive gone a bit OT here so i'll stop now!

pippin
2009-07-29, 05:56
its all very dependent on how many zones you have in the house and how many controllers you need, you may have units in your kids rooms but dont think you are going to treat them to a cr200 or an iphone each which makes the SB items much better with the nice cheap IR remotes. think ive gone a bit OT here so i'll stop now!

You mean you have kids that leave the iTouch to YOU and use the IR REMOTE????
Go praise. Normal kids have that the other way 'round

trouty00
2009-07-29, 06:02
KIDS! WOAH hold on! I was talking hypothetically!

there a long way off, I wont be able to afford any of these gadgets when the kids come!

Goodsounds
2009-07-29, 09:40
It looks to me like Sonos failed to understand the greatest physical attribute of the Squeezebox Controller -- the fact it's designed for one-handed use....

Most people I see using electronic devices (including iPhones) do so with two hands, whether it's one thumb from each side or one to hold and one to push buttons. True even when texting on a small cell phone. Only TV/electronic IR remotes that are shaped like squashed sweet potatoes lend themselves to regular one handed use.

I don't think this is something most people think or care about.

Pipedream
2009-07-29, 14:56
*hmm dreams of the day the Duet will fly menus around as quick!

On the downside, its dog ugly like a horrible Palm I bought the wife a few years ago.

I would prefer bevelled edges and a darker colour. With the front buttons "invisible" with LED back lighting then it would look less 1990s

agillis
2009-07-29, 18:30
Sonos makes some great stuff be remember the squeezebox open architecture is what makes it so great. If you don't like it you can change it!

That being said Sonos supports the full UPnP spec so you can control it with UPnP commands. I just added the open source Sonosweb interface to VortexBox so you can have a web interface for your Sonos box. The GUI they give you is for MAC or PC only.

maggior
2009-07-29, 18:56
I don't think this is something most people think or care about.

They don't think about it, but if made aware of it, I think they would see how annoying it is. Actually, I've never thought about it myself.

I don't own an iPhone, but I know a few people who do. They use 2 hands to use it, even to dial and answer their phone. It would irritate me to no end if I had to use 2 hands to dial or answer my phone. How the heck would that work in the car? I have never had a phone that required 2 hands to use. I guess the "cool factor" of the iPhone blinds users to the fact that it's a bit of a step backwards to have to use 2 hands to dial your phone.

Now that I think about it, part of the appeal of the standard iPod for me is that I can operate it with one hand. Even a portable CD player didn't lend itself to that.

Regarding the SBC, I enjoy the fact that I can be holding my 4 month old son and still be able to navigate my music. I can even hold and feed him with one arm and use my SBC with the other. Yeah, I've got talent :-).

It's a relatively small thing, but I think it is one of those subconcious things that makes you warm up to a product.

Paul Webster
2009-07-29, 23:24
It would irritate me to no end if I had to use 2 hands to dial or answer my phone. How the heck would that work in the car?
Hopefully they would use the tip of one finger to press the button on their Bluetooth connected device (headset, GPS) to answer - just the same as with any phone in the car.

pippin
2009-07-30, 01:01
I don't own an iPhone, but I know a few people who do. They use 2 hands to use it, even to dial and answer their phone. It would irritate me to no end if I had to use 2 hands to dial or answer my phone. How the heck would that work in the car? I have never had a phone that required 2 hands to use. I guess the "cool factor" of the iPhone blinds users to the fact that it's a bit of a step backwards to have to use 2 hands to dial your phone.

You don't have to use it two-handed. I do use it one-handed if the other hand is busy and it actually works fine.
You just find yourself not doing it since it's more convenient to use two hands.

andynormancx
2009-07-30, 01:51

If you owned one, or even just played with one for a few minutes you'd quickly realise that you don't need two hands to dial numbers, or do just about anything else on the iPhone. Hold it in your hand and just touch the screen with your thumb, just like you would with any other phone.

autopilot
2009-07-31, 14:52
I notice the 'big new feature' of Sonos 3.0 is the new 'info' (last.fm artist bio etc) which has been available on the Squeezebox for a long time now. Does the Sonos also allow you to see the bio of artists in your own music collection too, like the SB?