PDA

View Full Version : Netgear Powerline adapters

gian
2009-07-28, 01:17
hello All,

I have a couple of Netgear ethernet Powerline adapters that work fine with an ip camera connected.

In this location I cannot run an ethernet cable, and is just too far from my wireless AP.

If I connect a Squeezebox, after a while it will disconnect from the server complaining "cannot find Squeezecenter...".

If I ping the camera from the server, I get values between 20 and 230 ms.
Maybe the SB needs quick, constant replies?

Is there a solution, or should I give up the idea of having music at that location?

bpa
2009-07-28, 03:58
You ned to check the performance of the adaptors.

Use the Netgear config application to find out what is the connection speed between the powerline adaptors.

Run the SB's Network test to see what is max data rate can be sustained for 10mins at 100%.

Sometimes Powerline adaptors can be affected by other equipment on the same circuit which can generate noise such as switching on/off a load - heater/hair dryer.

I use powerline adaptors between router and a WAP to give better coverage as ADSL connections locates the wireless router in a location which is not the best for wireless.

simbo
2009-07-28, 04:54
My SB3 power supply used to generate a *lot* of EM noise which would stop my powerline network from operating. I now have the PSU plugged into a surge protection block and it works fine.

gian
2009-07-28, 05:14
I will follow your advice.

Thanks for your help.

-Gian