PDA

View Full Version : Updating mp3 tags

Philip Meyer
2004-06-14, 15:56
My first question is what mp3 tags have priority. I generally fill in version 2 tags, but I notice that some tracks are not coming up in my listings because I've ripped them from a CD using a different application that has stored version 1 tags. Even though I have manually entered version 2 tags, the version 1 tags seem to have taken priority.

I would have thought that version 2 tags should take priority, as these are generally better. Perhaps it should be a server config setting?

The next question is what is the most efficient way of updating the slim database when I update a few tags for tracks on a single album? Is there a way of refreshing just part of the database (eg. all songs in a certain folder, or by a certain artist, etc). Seems a bit of a drag to rescan the whole database when I know what parts I need to refresh.

Phil

kdf
2004-06-14, 16:33
ID3 V2.x tags should be taking priority over v1 tags. If this is not the case
with the latest nightlies, you may want to make a sample file available for
SlimDevices to check over to help fix the problem.

Browsing the music folder should just scan the current folder when there is new
info.
-kdf

Quoting Philip Meyer <phil (AT) hergest (DOT) demon.co.uk>:

> My first question is what mp3 tags have priority. I generally fill in
> version 2 tags, but I notice that some tracks are not coming up in my
> listings because I've ripped them from a CD using a different application
> that has stored version 1 tags. Even though I have manually entered version
> 2 tags, the version 1 tags seem to have taken priority.
>
> I would have thought that version 2 tags should take priority, as these are
> generally better. Perhaps it should be a server config setting?
>
> The next question is what is the most efficient way of updating the slim
> database when I update a few tags for tracks on a single album? Is there a
> way of refreshing just part of the database (eg. all songs in a certain
> folder, or by a certain artist, etc). Seems a bit of a drag to rescan the
> whole database when I know what parts I need to refresh.
>
> Phil
>
>
>

Philip Meyer
2004-06-15, 14:21
>ID3 V2.x tags should be taking priority over v1 tags. If this is not the case
>with the latest nightlies, you may want to make a sample file available for
>SlimDevices to check over to help fix the problem.
>
I think V2 is taking precidence after all, because some of my long titled tracks are truncated in the V1 tags but the correct title is being displayed (hence the V2 tag is being picked up).

I can't remember the file in question I was having a problem with the other night. I'll keep an eye open for any other funnies though.

>Browsing the music folder should just scan the current folder when there is new
>info.

Does that include .mp3 tag updates, because that doesn't seem to work.

I'm using 5.1.6 (14/06/2004), with "Music Library Database" set to cache.

I edited the title of track 1 from White Stripes - White Blood Cells. I then browsed to this album from Slimserver White Stripes -> White Blood Cells. The track title contained the old title. I clicked on the track to display more details, and this still displayed the old track title.

I tried this both for V1 and V2 tags. The old information was displayed both times.

I then left the server alone for ten minutes or so. When I came back, the playlist correctly displayed the up-to-date tags. The left-hand browser window displayed the out-of-date info, but after I re-navigated back to the album in the browser this displayed the correct info.

Phil