PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox direct connect to PC

agentsmith
2009-07-27, 19:07
Basic questions:

1. Can the SB2 or SB3 be connected straight to a PC LAN port?
2. Will I need a cross cable?

thanks

Mnyb
2009-07-27, 21:35
1. Yes of course all Ethernet stuff can be connected point to point.

If you also want it have internet access via the PC you should turn on "internet sharing" or whats it's called on windows (if thats what you are using ).

Fixed IP adresses would also be it, i figure that a "normal" win PC does not have any DHCP server built in.

for the DNS settings in the SB3 I would use the one provided by my ISP.
As again i supose the destop OS don't have a DNS server.

2. Search forum I don't remember just now, also depending on your lan card some are auto sensing auto adjusting ? I think.

pski
2009-07-28, 10:16
Basic questions:

1. Can the SB2 or SB3 be connected straight to a PC LAN port?
2. Will I need a cross cable?

thanks

I think you will need a cross-over cable for the SB2. The SB3 is auto-sensing.

RalphO
2009-07-28, 15:29
I agree that you can. However, I think that the SB3 requires a crossover cable as well.

agillis
2009-07-28, 16:32
Even if the SB2 or 3 both require crossover cables most modern PCs have auto detect so it would still work with a straight cable.

agentsmith
2009-07-29, 01:33
OK silly me I guess I just have to try it. I can let you people know once I tried it out.

Going one step further, what I am trying to do is to do a user's group gathering and try to minimize the number of equipment. I am planning to connect the following:

Laptop running SC with a big HDD ---CAT5 Ethernet--- SB2
iPhone with iPeng Wireless to SqueezeCenter

Without a wireless router, Can the iPhone join the party and control SC with iPeng? How would I go about doing that?

andynormancx
2009-07-29, 03:05
Going one step further, what I am trying to do is to do a user's group gathering and try to minimize the number of equipment. I am planning to connect the following:

Laptop running SC with a big HDD ---CAT5 Ethernet--- SB2
iPhone with iPeng Wireless to SqueezeCenter

Without a wireless router, Can the iPhone join the party and control SC with iPeng? How would I go about doing that?
No.

Also, don't forget that if you rely on your home router for DHCP, then you will have to switch to static IP addresses when you demo it away from home without a router to hand out IP addresses.

lrossouw
2009-07-29, 23:09
No.

Also, don't forget that if you rely on your home router for DHCP, then you will have to switch to static IP addresses when you demo it away from home without a router to hand out IP addresses.

I've never tried it myself but can't the SB act as a wireless bridge?

EDIT: Got the wrong end of the stick there. The bridge works where the SB3 is connected via WiFi to some access point and then it allows a wired device near it to connect through it to the access point too. Or at least that is my understanding.

andynormancx
2009-07-30, 02:07
EDIT: Got the wrong end of the stick there. The bridge works where the SB3 is connected via WiFi to some access point and then it allows a wired device near it to connect through it to the access point too. Or at least that is my understanding.
You are correct and not the first to be confused by what the wireless bridge functionality does on first seeing the feature listed...