PDA

View Full Version : User Interface via a PC?

Ozz
2009-07-27, 07:10
I have the Ipeng app (love it) but while cool it is a bit small for older eyes (argh) I have a Mini Laptop (Acer Aspire one) with a 10" screen and full functionality of a wireless PC. I am really looking for something that will look and perform like Ipeng on the PC. sorry Squeez-Folks but your user interface is lacking ergonomic usefulness. Small text clumbsy controls etc. Not bagging on you as your product exceeds my wildest hopes for a Ethernet DAC. (I love my Transporter). But in a 2 channel listening room with many thousands of dollards spent on equipment. I would love to see Ipeng like features on a mini laptop for control. It is much nicer than passing around my Iphone when people want to look through the music and or control the Transporter.

Does anyone know if there is a better desktop app to control SC?

Thanks

Uluen
2009-07-27, 07:14
Did you try Moose? (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=63593&highlight=moose)

akjohnson
2009-07-27, 07:15
Have you tried Moose? It's not perfect but at least it supports drag and drop for playlists.(sorry just seen a duplicate post!DOH!)

Ozz
2009-07-27, 07:39
Thanks, just did a search for it. I will give it a try.

Ozz
2009-07-27, 13:43
Anything more stable out there than Moose? There seem to be issues with it freezing for 2-3 minutes at a time.

regalma1
2009-07-27, 14:04
I have SC loaded onto my netbook which then streams to my SB via wifi. It has a 7" screen. I played around with different skins till I found one that was less of a problem for my old eyes. I have my library on a 500 GB mini USB drive, which is stuck to the bottom of the netbook with fas-tack (blue tack, museum putty). It is an all in one system. And it is completely portable. The drive runs off of USB power. I am going to try sticking the drive to the top of the netbook so it won't get so hot. That should extend its life.

The Maxtor Touch4 mini runs off of a single USB port. Though they recommend connecting to two ports for current carrying capacity. They supply a special cable to do this. Though, like I said, it isn't needed for this application.

The 7" screen is still a bit too small without reading glasses, but a 10" should work just great.

SumnerBoy
2009-07-27, 14:10
Anything more stable out there than Moose? There seem to be issues with it freezing for 2-3 minutes at a time.

I have been using Moose for a while now and have never had it freeze. Dr Lovegrove is pretty active around here - might be worth finding the Moose thread in the 3rd party forum and posting a query. He is pretty helpful.

Goodsounds
2009-07-27, 15:00
I have the Ipeng app (love it) but while cool it is a bit small for older eyes (argh) I have a Mini Laptop (Acer Aspire one) with a 10" screen and full functionality of a wireless PC. I am really looking for something that will look and perform like Ipeng on the PC. sorry Squeez-Folks but your user interface is lacking ergonomic usefulness. Small text clumbsy controls etc. Not bagging on you as your product exceeds my wildest hopes for a Ethernet DAC. (I love my Transporter). But in a 2 channel listening room with many thousands of dollards spent on equipment. I would love to see Ipeng like features on a mini laptop for control. It is much nicer than passing around my Iphone when people want to look through the music and or control the Transporter.

Thanks

I too have older eyes (the rest of me is much younger ;-) )and a 9 inch netbook. I don't use it regularly for my SB interface, but when I do I find the browser UI perfectly satisfactory. Forgive me for mentioning the obvious, but I trust you do know the size of the text in browsers can be increased with "CTRL +" ?

If such a large screen is too small for you to use, how do you manage to use the remote control units that (presumably) you need for the equipment you list? Do you use reading glasses?

Wirrunna
2009-07-27, 18:04
It is much nicer than passing around my Iphone when people want to look through the music and or control the Transporter.

Thanks

Have a look at Muso (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=57629)
Great application for looking through or showing off your music collection using a PC, also includes the ability to play selected music through SC.

dsdreamer
2009-07-27, 18:34
No one on this thread has mentioned it, but I think SqueezePlay (still in beta) is perfectly stable and usable on a netbook or small laptop. You can get it here:

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.3

In terms of user-interface, it's really just a magnified version of the Squeezebox controller, but as such it would be excellent for someone who enjoys larger font sizes.

agentsmith
2009-07-27, 19:05
I use OrangeCD with very good music management interface.

It manages its own library independent from SqueezeCenter. What I do is right click on whatever music I want to play, and right click to select "Play to SqueezeCenter"

Works very well.

Ozz
2009-07-28, 07:01
I use the Ipeng app just fine but my spouse and others seem to consider it to small.

Yes I know you can make the txt bigger but I was looking for something like moose offers with cover art and drag and drop playlist. I find the SC software very basic. Keep in mind most people expect to see a Itunes like setup... click click click. (BTW I hate Itunes but I do not have the only vote). I am having issues getting Moose to scan the library I am working on that. Yes I know the FW can be an issue so both sides are turned off until I get it working properly (work in progress).

I am just like everyone else... Looking for the Perfect UI for my enviroment.

aubuti
2009-07-28, 07:51
Keep in mind most people expect to see a Itunes like setup... click click click.
Actually for controlling SBs I think most people don't expect to see a computer at all. The infrared remote and/or SB Controller (and, I suppose, the rumored "SB Touch") are intended to be the main interface devices, not a PC. That's why the SC software is "so basic". Not having/needing a computer in the listening room is part of the MO.

Have you tried SqueezePlay, or other SC skins such as Touch? They won't give you the drag-and-drop playlist creation, but they might be more to your liking than the default SC skin.

gharris999
2009-07-28, 09:51

Thanks
You may have been though all this already, but, for me, the usability of the SqueezeCenter web interface is very dependent on the browser. When browsing from Windows clients, I always use Chrome. Even Firefox 3.5.1 still lags behind chome as a SC client, in my experience. I assume that you've also tried other skins for the WebUI? With a small screen like that, you may want to give Touch or Nokia770 a try.