PDA

View Full Version : WaveInput plugin woes

Philip Meyer
2009-07-26, 07:55
The wavin plugin hasn't been working for me for some time (as a manually installed plugin).

I was sure I had the latest version (1.04), but I thought I would try my luck with the Extension Downloader.

So I removed the manually installed version and restarted. I found the repository for wavin, and installed it via ED. Restarted again.

The log has a warning that wavin plugin can't start because the version isn't supported. Doh - why did it let me install it then!

I'm running SVN 7.4/trunk.

So, SbS now thinks it's installed but not allowed to run.

I now see an option in ED to update it from v1.04 to v1.04. I've tried this, but it still says that it is not compatible and offers the upgrade to the same version.

bpa
2009-07-26, 08:35
1.04 is set up in its install.xml with Maxversion of 7.3 - so it will not be loaded in 7.4

You could try editing the install.xml and change MaxVersion.

I suspect that changes are need for 7.4 noweb-sqllite but not 7.4 trunk.

Philip Meyer
2009-07-26, 15:10
>1.04 is set up in its install.xml with Maxversion of 7.3 - so it will
>not be loaded in 7.4
>
Why did ED let me try to install? Does the repository version check have a different max version?

>You could try editing the install.xml and change MaxVersion.
>
Okay, I did that and restarted - no errors reported.

>I suspect that changes are need for 7.4 noweb-sqllite but not 7.4
>trunk.

Doesn't seem to work with 7.4/trunk. No errors reported, the stream plays (I see the time progress going up on the player), but there's no sound.

bpa
2009-07-26, 16:43
Why did ED let me try to install? Does the repository version check have a different max version?

Yes 7.* vs 7.3

Doesn't seem to work with 7.4/trunk. No errors reported, the stream plays (I see the time progress going up on the player), but there's no sound.

Just checked - it works OK with 7.4 / trunk.

1. To use WaveInput SC cannot be run as a service.
2. Read the Wiki to check that the audio driver supports a "What U hear" (or whatever it is called on your system) stream and to verify that "0" is the correct number to use on your system.

Philip Meyer
2009-07-27, 16:12
>Just checked - it works OK with 7.4 / trunk.
>
>1. To use WaveInput SC cannot be run as a service.
I run SVN source code as a service. It used to work - what's the issue with running as a service?

>2. Read the Wiki to check that the audio driver supports a "What U
>hear" (or whatever it is called on your system) stream and to verify
>that "0" is the correct number to use on your system.

I used to run waveinput in SC (I think it was working for me in 7.3 - been a while since I tried it, not sure of the exact version). I have a Creative Audigy ZS soundcard, and know it was okay.

bpa
2009-07-27, 16:56
what's the issue with running as a service?

After debugging a problem with a user the only conclusion was that it just doesn't work when SC is a service. The wavin2cmd program just captures static when launched from SC running as a service - I didn't write the wavin2cmd app but I think Windows doesn't allow a service to hook into another user's audio stream. It may be some sort of permissions issue.

To test audio capture from the card - the following command should capture PC audio into a file called audio.mp3. Depending on the version of lame you may or may not need the "-x" option.

wavin2cmd.exe -o wavin:0 | lame -x - audio.mp3

Philip Meyer
2009-07-28, 12:32
>After debugging a problem with a user the only conclusion was that it
>just doesn't work when SC is a service.
>
I disagree with that conclusion - it works for me with SbS running as a service.

>To test audio capture from the card - the following command should
>capture PC audio into a file called audio.mp3. Depending on the version
>of lame you may or may not need the "-x" option.
>
>wavin2cmd.exe -o wavin:0 | lame -x - audio.mp3

I tried this and it didn't work, so I realised that my problem wasn't with the plugin, but the sound card settings. I discovered that the recording device had been changed to only record Microphone input. As soon as I changed that back to the appropriate mixer control, it worked fine.

Thanks,
Phil