PDA

View Full Version : Removing "Composer" from remotes when sorting by Artist

yesongs
2009-07-24, 07:45
I had posted yesterday about my sorting by Artist issues

I think I have found a clue

When sorting by Artist > Albums my Squeezecenter is working perfectly on the PC where my collection is stored by only showing the Artists albums and not everything the artist is credited on as appears to be happening on the remotes

Looking at the albums closer I now see the ones that are populating on the remotes have the names in the "Composer" tag

Is there a way to remove "composer" from the sort function on the remote?

TIA

Eddie

Smiffy
2009-07-24, 08:14
You could use Mp3Tag to remove the composer tag from your files.

yesongs
2009-07-24, 08:29
You could use Mp3Tag to remove the composer tag from your files.

Is there a setting within Squeezecentre to do this?

Eddie

BastiaanR
2009-07-24, 11:44
Is there a setting within Squeezecentre to do this?

Eddie

No. SqueezeCenter does/can not alter your files on any way.

yesongs
2009-07-25, 03:57
No. SqueezeCenter does/can not alter your files on any way.

I don't think I was being clear enough, I don't want to alter the files

Basically, when sorting on my duet remote I'm trying to make files that have a different entry in the "Composer" field that is different than the "Artist" field, not to be recognized in two places

Example:

Sorting Artist > Greg Lake should only be listed with his three solo albums, and not the Emerson, Lake, and Palmer albums where he appears in the "Composer" field

These albums don't list seperately on the PC, only on the duet remote so I had assuned there had to be a setting

TIA

E

Teus de Jong
2009-07-26, 03:26
There seems to be an issue here. Just for testing I altered the first setting on the Music Library tab (Composer, Band and Orchestra in Artists). As I listen a lot to classical music I had the first option checked, so composers are treated as artist. I unchecked this (so nothing is checked at the first entry). In the browser this has the expected result that Bach, Beethoven, etc. disappear from the list when browsing by artist. On the SBC however they are still there, even after restarting the controller. Maybe they disappear after some delay, but at the moment it seems this setting is not respected on the controller. If so, that seems a bug to me. (BTW, all testing in 7.4 beta)

Teus

yesongs
2009-07-26, 06:34
There seems to be an issue here. Just for testing I altered the first setting on the Music Library tab (Composer, Band and Orchestra in Artists). As I listen a lot to classical music I had the first option checked, so composers are treated as artist. I unchecked this (so nothing is checked at the first entry). In the browser this has the expected result that Bach, Beethoven, etc. disappear from the list when browsing by artist. On the SBC however they are still there, even after restarting the controller. Maybe they disappear after some delay, but at the moment it seems this setting is not respected on the controller. If so, that seems a bug to me. (BTW, all testing in 7.4 beta)

Teus

Thanks for checking!

Hopefully a future version can correct this

E

vagskal
2009-08-05, 10:12

Teus

For me this is a feature, which helps me discover/remember the relationships between albums and artists/groups. I would like to keep this functionality, which was not there when I got the controller (it now works the same way in iPeng), bur I would not mind making this an option. The only problem for me is the sort order where the albums where the selected artist is the Album Artist should show up on top of the list. I have made an enhancement request regarding the sort order: https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=12676

fillmore
2009-08-05, 19:37
i use winamp to remove unwanted data from tags.

Teus de Jong
2009-08-07, 02:21
Vagskal,

You can set this in SC, so why should the controller behave differently.

fillmore,

Why would you delete tags that should work correctly?

yesongs,

I filed this bug:

https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=13284

Vote for it.

Teus

vagskal
2009-08-07, 03:28
Vagskal,

You can set this in SC, so why should the controller behave differently.

[...]

I filed this bug:

https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=13284

As far as I know there is no setting for this in SC (to display in the album list for an artist all albums where the artist has contributed as albumartist, artist or composer - possibly also conductor or band - or only some kind of subset of albums). As I said, I would not mind if there was an option also for this. This was the issue brought up by the OP, as I understand it. He wanted, as I understand it, to have the behaviour in this respect in the web UI also reflected on the Controller, i.e. to show in the album list for an artist only albums where the artist is albumartist or artist (but not only composer). When I replied to your post, I thought that you wanted this behaviour (and my point was that I liked the current behaviour on the Controller).

When I re-read your post and the bug report you filed I realize that you are probably talking about something else.

There is, as you have noted, an option in SC to display or not (mere) composers in the listing of artists, which is something else than I, and probably the OP, was talking about. This option is, in my setup (7.3.4), correctly reflected in both the web UI and on the Controller. As I read your bug report you are saying that this setting is not respected on the Controller, i.e. composers (persons with no artist entry but a composer entry) are showing up in the artist list on the Controller although the composer option is not selected. If this is so, I too think that there is something wrong. Have you tried restarting also SC?

Teus de Jong
2009-08-07, 11:22
For the test I described, I have restarted SC and the Controller: the composers were still in the artist list on the controller.

Teus

PS. Although I filed a bug, I'm not personally affected, because I have the option to display composers in the artists list always on.

HUEY
2009-08-12, 13:37
Count me in as one who would not like to be able the composer option on the controller. On mine, if Billy Joel wrote a song, and someone else covered it, the album will show up under Billy Joel. Here's the glitch though, if you play that song, a completely different song plays from that album. I don't know why it does it, but there is something wrong with the way it is referencing the library.

fillmore
2009-08-15, 21:46
fillmore,

Why would you delete tags that should work correctly?

many times i download albums ripped to individual flac tracks that contain a track or two that are tagged inconsistently. i prefer to not have composer data in my files, so its easier just to delete unwanted info so complete albums are displayed the way i want them.

Teus de Jong
2009-08-16, 02:43
I can see that, but not having the composer set would be rather ugly for classical music :-) But in that same way I always remove album artist, a tag that causes more pain than benefits for what I want.

Teus

fillmore
2009-08-18, 08:33
I can see that, but not having the composer set would be rather ugly for classical music :-) But in that same way I always remove album artist, a tag that causes more pain than benefits for what I want.

Teus
very true. i just dont listen to classical music.