PDA

View Full Version : Track order w/ multiple file types

danull
2009-07-23, 16:05
Hello,

I'm having some trouble and hoping somebody here knows what I can do to resolve it. I was unable to find a similar post using the "Search" function on this forum. Currently using Slimserver 7.3.2.

I have ripped several of my CDs in WMA 192 Kbps format but they were old CDs and so some of the tracks had blips in them. So, I went out to Amazon and purchased the MP3 and downloaded it.

After rescanning for new music I now see when browsing the album via my browser that the order of tracks is incorrect, and if I press play on the album they are played out of sequence. The order is currently track 1, 3-7, and then 2 at the end - 1 and 3-7 being my WMAs and 2 being the downloaded MP3 from Amazon.

I noticed using MP3TAG that the MP3 had the Track as 2-7 instead of just 2, so I edited that, cleared library and rescanned - but things still appear out of order. I think it is probably related to the multiple file types (both WMA and MP3 in the same album/folder). I'd really like to get this track in it's proper place because this is one of those albums that really needs to be played in the right order...

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide,

-Dan

Phil Leigh
2009-07-23, 23:30
Did you do a full clear & rescan?

The fact the files are different codec types doesn't matter in itself. However, what you may be seeing is that the Tags are actually different types of tags (APE vs ID3V2 etc).

Best thing to do: in MP3Tag, use the "Numbering Tools" to renumber all the tracks correctly and save ALL tags. If you have MP3Tag set up correctly this should render all tags into one consistent tag type.
A rescan should then work. Try it and see.
If this doesn't work, convert all files to FLAC - that will definitely work. :-)

danull
2009-07-24, 09:35
Phil,

Yes, I did a clear and full rescan with no luck.

I just went through and renumbered and also re-downloaded all tags through Amazon.com using the MP3TAG software, and did a clear/full rescan again, with no luck.

I think what I'm seeing is probably because the tags are different types (WMA vs ID3V2) as you say. Seems like a bug?

-Dan

Phil Leigh
2009-07-24, 09:42
Phil,

Yes, I did a clear and full rescan with no luck.

I just went through and renumbered and also re-downloaded all tags through Amazon.com using the MP3TAG software, and did a clear/full rescan again, with no luck.

I think what I'm seeing is probably because the tags are different types (WMA vs ID3V2) as you say. Seems like a bug?

-Dan

Well... it's a rather odd situation to have some files in an album in one format and some in another. I can't remember anyone in the last 4 years raising this.

I wouldn't expect to see that fixed quickly (if indeed the devs classify it as a bug). By all means file a bug, though.

Just convert them all to FLAC and say goodbye to the problem :-)

danull
2009-07-24, 10:08
Phil,

I just upgraded from MP3TAG 2.4.1 to 2.4.3 and when looking at the tags noticed a DiscNumber tag field (it may have been there before but I didn't see it, or the install of 2.4.3 re-set my view or something so that I could see it) and that DiscNumber tag had a value of 1/1 on the MP3s from Amazon - it was blank for all the other tracks. I emptied that value and did a clear/rescan and now things show up fine and in the correct order!

I've been Slackin' on the FLACin'...I've ripped a little over 1000 CDs that I own and have been terrified of having to go back and rip them all again. I've been intrigued by FLAC and sooner or later I'll probably start ripping in that format...

Anyway - it looks like I'm fixed up - thanks for pushing me into messing with the tags.

-Dan

aubuti
2009-07-24, 10:14
I find that an incredibly useful feature of mp3tag is the list of *all* existing tags that you get when you highlight a track (or group of tracks) and press Alt-T. A lot of users get fooled into thinking that the only tags they have are the ones shown in the spreadsheet view, when in fact there are others that don't have columns defined.