PDA

View Full Version : Streaming internet station buffer

mctigercom
2009-07-21, 10:01
Do we have a feature or setting where when we pause a live stream, it could buffer the stream? If I'm listening to a station and I get a call, I'd like to pause it and have it go into a buffer so I can pick up where it left off.

dsdreamer
2009-07-21, 11:28
Do we have a feature or setting where when we pause a live stream, it could buffer the stream? If I'm listening to a station and I get a call, I'd like to pause it and have it go into a buffer so I can pick up where it left off.

Most types of internet radio stream are directly handled by the Squeezebox (exceptions being AAC/AAC+), which means the limited RAM resources of the player would be a major issue when considering extending buffer times beyond a few tens of seconds.

mctigercom
2009-07-21, 11:38
but it makes sense. Thanks for the info.

MrSinatra
2009-07-22, 18:09
well, SC has an option to let you FORCE SC to proxy net streams, which i do b/c it somewhat improves my exp, (altho i still have issues).

also, there is a 0-30sec option for buffering.

having said that, to "pause" the stream for anything other than relatively short times would require, i believe, that SC record it somehow, like to a temp file.

doubt that happens, but i wish some app did it. (you could use streamripper with winamp to record streams)

mctigercom
2009-07-23, 10:38
What I'm going to do until I figure out something else is to just run a wget on the stream and capture the file. I start and stop it with a cronjob.

aubuti
2009-07-23, 11:17
What I'm going to do until I figure out something else is to just run a wget on the stream and capture the file. I start and stop it with a cronjob.
Then you might also want to look at streamripper (http://streamripper.sourceforge.net), which is designed to do exactly that. streamripper is also likely to have some useful options that a more general purpose tool like wget does not.

bpa
2009-07-23, 13:13
You could try VLC and its timeshifter module