PDA

View Full Version : SBC Charging

jonr71
2009-07-21, 06:41
Hi all

I have searched for this in the threads but can't find a specific discussion on it but I am sure others have similar issues.

When I place the SBC in the charging cradle, in many cases I don't get a good electrical connection. I have resorted to placing a folded piece of paper in the back of the cradle to make a more snug fit but this is not ideal for long term use.

The controller feels loose in the cradle and many times does not charge due to the unit not quite being seated properly on the contacts. Any suggestions on how the cradle/SBC could be adapted to ensure a good connection?

Or is it that I am in a minority struggling to get the unit to connect and charge....?

Squeezed_Rotel
2009-07-21, 07:14
I don't adjust or shim the SBC in the cradle. Periodically I take a sharp lead pencil and carefully (lightly) "scrub" the copper contacts on the SBC. This I believe will remove any oxidation as well as put a light film of carbon on the contacts. I do not touch the spring loaded mating contacts in the charger cradle. I also make it a habit to place the SBC lightly in the cradle and gently rock it back and forth once before letting go.

tcutting
2009-07-21, 09:18
I would suggest contacting Logitech support. I recall that there was a rash of issues like this - I believe there was a modification to the charger cradle (?). They may be able to send you a replacement cradle.

hubbaloo
2009-07-21, 09:44
I have exactly the same problem. Contact support, they have already posted me a replacement.

jonr71
2009-07-21, 14:23
So is your new cradle significantly different? I was told by the supplier of my Duet that they were waiting for new stock from Logitech and that I was getting the first of the batch - that was 3 weeks ago.

aubuti
2009-07-21, 14:41
I have searched for this in the threads but can't find a specific discussion on it but I am sure others have similar issues.
Or is it that I am in a minority struggling to get the unit to connect and charge....?
I think you are in the minority, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't get it fixed. I recall a few threads on this topic -- here is one of them: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=57066

BastiaanR
2009-07-22, 01:00
So is your new cradle significantly different? I was told by the supplier of my Duet that they were waiting for new stock from Logitech and that I was getting the first of the batch - that was 3 weeks ago.

I don't think the looks are different. I think the "new design" has more to do with manufacturing specs, ensuring that the contact springs end up in the right place on the bottom of the Cradle.

If you want to, you could also adjust the position of the contact pins yourself. Some users have used paperclips or embroidery needles (not sure if this is the right English translation).

If your supplier cannot help you, contact Logitech support. We can send out a new cradle.