PDA

View Full Version : controller without receiver ?

zaze
2009-07-21, 04:42
I have a htpc connected directly to my amplifier and always on.
I dont want to buy a duet and don't use the receiver.
is it possible to use the controller only for the pc ?
Will i have album covers and everything ?
thanks.

trouty00
2009-07-21, 04:59
I think you should be able to do this with a softsqueeze player on your pc, do you just want access to your own music or all internet radio options as maybe an ipod touch with the remote application is better for your requirements? I'm more a squeeebox fan than itunes but feel that this maybe a better option for your needs.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/remote/

Ive used softsqueeze but i don't find it very stable at all.

buy the controller from a decent store, ie amazon or advanced mp3 and you should be able to return if it gives you problems but personally i think the ipod touch and the remote app is more aimed towards your needs!

SuperQ
2009-07-21, 08:27
Yes, the squeezebox controller doesn't control the receiver. It communicates with Squeezecenter. This way the controller works with every squeezebox all the way back to the original slimp3. This includes the software-based players like softsqueeze, squeezeslave, and squeezeplay.

maggior
2009-07-21, 09:26
I have a htpc connected directly to my amplifier and always on.
I dont want to buy a duet and don't use the receiver.
is it possible to use the controller only for the pc ?
Will i have album covers and everything ?
thanks.

You might want to consider the price difference between a controller by itself and a duet. The list price difference is $100, but in reality I think it is more like $50. If you decide later on to purchase a receiver, it will cost $150.

The benefit you will have with a receiver is gapless playback and a wider breadth of supported codecs. Softsqueeze only supports mp3. Squeezeslave supports FLAC and mp3. You also get support for online music services like Napster, Pandora, Slacker, Rhapsody, etc. These won't work with a software based player that runs on the PC.

Just some things to consider...